Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #757
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Finished the bracket install today; tilted brackets toward the chain, drilled and 3/8" bolted top of bracket through frame, drilled to let the lower bracket set screw into the frame part way. Don't see how bracket could move and chains are aligned nicely with bracket tubes.

Installed 4" drawbar, ball/friction assembly, and tightened chains per instructions with 1/4" compression of red urethane, no weight on the ball. Raised jack to let coupler weight onto the ball and red urethane compressed to almost 1/2" total. Truck very close to original attitude using wheel well measurements, and trailer about an inch low in front. (Trailer near empty.) Pretty close but will leave ball/hitch drop-bar as is until trailer loaded, then fine tune as needed, if possible.

Took it out for a spin on curves, rough roads, highway speed. Smoother truck ride than Equal-I-Zer, little or no jostling of trailer, steered perfectly, no noise, no hint of sway, felt and handled like truck without trailer. Backed into driveway, quiet, felt like no assembly there. I really like it and look forward to upcoming long trip in couple of weeks.

doug k

Note: Don't order 8" drop bar unless you have a raised truck, it is 12" high and sits down way to low for average truck, the 4" drop bar is perfect. Also the holes in the 4" bar are drilled closer to the top as they should be for correct placement of ball/friction assembly.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #758
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Doug. What are you towing with ??? I have a Dodge 3500 at stock height but with 18" wheels that raise it minimally. Anderson advised the 8" rise and that's what I ordered. I have a double receiver hitch and use the lower one to tow with. It's a mega-hitch and it gets reinforcement from being attached to the factory hitch. The top edge of the receiver is 19" from the ground and that's what I use for the ball height. Gives me a nice level tow. I was thinking about that at the time of the order so we'll need to see when it gets here.

Thanks for the advice

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #759
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Roger, I have a 2006 Tundra 4x4 double cab 4.7, light on power 5% of towing but 95% a trouble-free nice ride. I believe it is 18" to top of receiver, the 8" drop bar (12" actual height) looked like a one-furrow plow hanging down there.

You have it on the way so see how it looks. I called Dave Andersen and he exchanged mine after I got it. You can send back the long drop bar and when they get it will send out a short one, you may pay shipping. Or give them credit card over phone and they will send it right away and refund you when they get long drop bar back from you. Fair enough.

Will mention again the holes in the short drop bar are drilled nearer the top than the long bar, so in the mid-range of adjustment the shorter 4" drop bar allow better ball height.

I have only hooked this up once, but I think it is important to follow instructions and keep the weight off the ball until you have snugged the chains to 1/4" compression of the urethane bushing. Then raise the jack and let the weight onto the ball; you should be close to level on trailer and truck. From my very limited experience, I would not try to tighten the chains a lot with the weight on the ball. Use trailer jack to lift it, adjust, then let it back down.

doug k
Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #760
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Good to here people are having good experiences. I still need to weld my bracket into place, but I just got the AS back from having the broken door frame fixed. I towed it 30 miles with no movement of the bracket, and the chain seemed to ride quite now it is almost in a straight line..

Good luck all. I will post some pics when I get around to welding it. Leaving for ZION NP in 3 weeks so It will get a work out in the new position..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #761
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Dkott... can you post a pic of your install connected? Sounds close to my 2001 Sequoia and 26' Argosy..
Thx!
Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #762
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I want to remind those towing an Airstream that the most important factor when setting up the hitch is that the trailer end up parallel to the ground. This is because of the type of springs used in the Airstream.

So make all your decisions on ball height with that in mind

Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #763
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Roger, I have a 2006 Tundra 4x4 double cab 4.7, light on power 5% of towing but 95% a trouble-free nice ride. I believe it is 18" to top of receiver, the 8" drop bar (12" actual height) looked like a one-furrow plow hanging down there.

doug k
My Jeep receiver measures a hair under 20 inches to the inside top, so I guess I am stuck with the one bladed plow. Or what about the 6" drop? I see them offered on at least one website with the Andersen.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #764
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Andersen install photos

Here is my install. Brackets tilted to chain, 3/8" bolt drilled through frame upper side of bracket, 1/2" hole drilled in frame to let outer set screw into lower side of frame. Top front of brackets rounded to clear propane cover and battery box. Compression on urethane bushing 1/2".

I think to get good weight distribution, chains should be tightened with no load on hitch ball, then lower trailer jack to put load on the ball. Will settle to desired trailer and truck level as jack continues to its store position.

Trailer perfect level, truck down 1" in back and up 1/2" in front. I'm okay with that. Handles nicely, quiet, couldn't induce sway moving steering side to side, trailer just followed.

Trailer has 16" Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16E on Sendel T02 wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9154.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	169208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9156.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	169209  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9160.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	169210  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #765
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Here is my install. Brackets tilted to chain, 3/8" bolt drilled through frame upper side of bracket, 1/2" hole drilled in frame to let outer set screw into lower side of frame. Top front of brackets rounded to clear propane cover and battery box. Compression on urethane bushing 1/2".
Hi, looks like you have the brackets lined up pretty good. And your brackets aren't going to move. My propane cover sits back a bit farther than yours, so I would need longer chains. Nice flag pole holder.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #766
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:

I think to get good weight distribution, chains should be tightened with no load on hitch ball, then lower trailer jack to put load on the ball. Will settle to desired trailer and truck level as jack continues to its store position.

Trailer perfect level, truck down 1" in back and up 1/2" in front. I'm okay with that. Handles nicely, quiet, couldn't induce sway moving steering side to side, trailer just followed.

Trailer has 16" Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75R16E on Sendel T02 wheels.
Wow, nicely done!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #767
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In post #764, it would seem that another significant issue to consider with the truck angled upwards, besides steering control, is that the headlights will be aimed into the tree tops and blinding on coming traffic even on low beams.

Just wondering.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #768
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
In post #764, it would seem that another significant issue to consider with the truck angled upwards, besides steering control, is that the headlights will be aimed into the tree tops and blinding on coming traffic even on low beams.

Just wondering.
The truck is not angled upwards. The trailer is dead level.

Drove it at night, it's good. No steering issues. Load on truck is same as my usual day-to-day truck use, people inside and hauling something in the bed. I never drive around with an empty truck, got cars for that.

I suppose a tweak of the headlight adjustment screws is available.

The hitch can and maybe will be adjusted when loaded for travel, very easy to do. Move the ball up/down on the drop bar (two bolts), or tighten the chains (however when the trailer is level, if you tighten the chains you will raise the trailer front as well as the truck rear).

doug k
Old 09-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #769
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Nice! That's the best install here I've seen yet! Thanks... I like the added option of adding more to the chains when you have a heavier load. I think I have more squat in the rear of my Sequoia with my Ea Zee lift with the chains really pulled up.

Thanks again!
Marc
Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #770
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Nice! That's the best install here I've seen yet! Thanks... I like the added option of adding more to the chains when you have a heavier load. I think I have more squat in the rear of my Sequoia with my Ea Zee lift with the chains really pulled up.

Thanks again!
Marc
This hitch is really easy to install and adjust. It is vastly easier and possibly more effective to tighten the chain/urethane bushing compression before letting the tongue weight onto the hitch ball. Then raise the trailer jack and the (properly adjusted) trailer will settle to its predetermined level, as the trailer jack returns to its store position.

doug k