Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #661
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Can you say convert?

OK, got the Andersen hitch installed after taking the draw bar to a welder for reassembly at the right height. The rest of the installation was non eventful, but I did weld stopping blocks on the bottom side of the trailer tongue to prevent the side brackets from tilting or slipping. The brackets were installed where they are pushing up against the propane tank mounts on the top which prevents the top from slipping.

This trailer is about 3,500 pounds, and 400 pounds tongue weight. The adjustment for the proper weight distribution went suprisingly easy, and I was rather taken by the light amount of tention required on the chains to return the front of the vehicle to it's non hitched height. As a matter of fact, I adjusted it too tight on initial attempt, and had to back off to raise the front back up a bit.

I was towing the trailer with a Drawtite single round bar WD hitch with a single friction slide anti sway bar.

As a test, I took the trailer on a known bumpy road with a speed limit of 60, and my first impressions are the hitch is VERY good. The ride is much better than the ride with the round bar hitch, with much less bucking. It seems to force the vehicle's suspension to work rather than allow the hitch's suspension to flex so much.

I also actually tried to make the trailer sway by whipping the steering wheel at 65 MPH, and the trailer did not sway. In comparison to the friction slide anti sway bar of the Drawtite, I would estimate the Andersen is easily twice as effective, if not more.

I am very pleased with this hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0063.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	168574   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0064.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	564.7 KB
ID:	168575  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0059.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	168576  
Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #662
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Now there is a statement and pictures any apprehensive Bumble Bee would get inspiration from.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #663
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
One thing I might add, this was a before and after test because I knew I had not towed this rig in a while, so yesterday I took it for the same test drive, over the same road, at the same speeds with the Drawtite hitch so it would be fresh in my mind.

A HA HA killer??? Not ready to call it that, but it is good, very good.

At this time I would recommend the hitch over ANY other brand of standard WD hitch that I have used, which would be both types of Reese Dual Cam, a Eazlift, a Curt replica of a Eazlift, and the Drawtite.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #664
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, unlike an Airstream, Your Casita's tongue and coupler are raised, therefore your chains look pretty straight.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #665
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Us bumblebees loves our kool aid. Glad to see more confirmation of what I have found with my Andersen hitch. My rig is one solid unit, and even though I never objected to my Reese trunyon bar or Draw Tight round bar hitches from the towing quality, the Andersen is better.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #666
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm getting very, very close to giving the Anderson a try. I got a newer trailer this past summer and it came with a newer WD hitch. ( not sure of the brand ). It has the round bars. My old trailer / hitch had the rectangular bars. I actually liked the old ones better than the new. The newer ones are a pain in the BUTT. I've had one of the bars fall out of the hitch and get dragged along by the chain more than once. The older ones were attached differently and could not fall out. So I'm ready for a change and I like what I've seen and read about these Andersons. I need to measure the ball height on my truck so when I call them we can decide which draw bar I will need. Are there any other measurements I will need to check on ????

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #667
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You should be Good to Go.

Man, for those with doubts, is there going to be a lot of used Reese and Draw Tight equipment for sale on E bay if this keeps up.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #668
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Been looking at mine that I installed on the Casita, and looking at the Airstream.

I think IF I wanted to change to this hitch on the Airstream, I'd order the tongue brackets for an 8" frame, then weld them onto the frame so the square tubing is lower allowing a straighter pull on the chains. I believe this would help in reducing the chain wear that Airstream users are experiencing.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #669
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I agree the chain tube alignment is essential to prevent chain wear, and the low position of the coupler on Airstream creates the angle if standard install is used. I started to install mine but have stopped to reconsider the methods.

The 5"-6" bracket aligns very well on a 5" frame if the bracket is dropped down to the upper bolt holes for the 6" frame. Just not sure the best way to fasten it there.

I could drill two holes into each bracket and through the frame, then bolt it to the frame. That would hold but would it weaken the frame (a beam can be drilled in the center with little effect, but these bolt holes would have to be near the edges)? Or I could weld the brackets to the frame and be done with it, but what if I wanted to remove them?

No hurry, a few weeks yet before we hit the road to see if a revelation appears.

Word of caution on drilling the frame. Besides structural weakening question, the electrical hookup to the tow vehicle runs inside one of them.

doug k
Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #670
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I could drill two holes into each bracket and through the frame, then bolt it to the frame. That would hold but would it weaken the frame (a beam can be drilled in the center with little effect, but these bolt holes would have to be near the edges)? Or I could weld the brackets to the frame and be done with it, but what if I wanted to remove them?
doug k
Welded on brackets are much easier to remove with a hand grinder, IMHO than welding up unwanted drilled holes.

I had to remove one of the little anti sway bar balls from the tongue of the Casita to install the Andersen, and it took me less than 15 minutes to grind it off. And, there was no remaining damage to the tongue.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #671
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Or you can do as one suggested and weld a "stop" piece on the top (behind) and one on the bottom (in front) and then you can remove the hitch. The welded pieces would prevent the hitch brackets from shifting and you can remove them as well. It does sound like a workable solution.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #672
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Or you can do as one suggested and weld a "stop" piece on the top (behind) and one on the bottom (in front) and then you can remove the hitch. The welded pieces would prevent the hitch brackets from shifting and you can remove them as well. It does sound like a workable solution.
That is exactly what I did on the Casita installation, except I used an existing propane bottle bracked for the top stop. However, if you used the 8" brackets, and mounted them lower so the chain alignment would be better, I believe more would be needed.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #673
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The 8 in. brackets would give the extra drop to allow adjusting of the nuts to clear the frame. However I think it would be necessary to drill new lower bolt holes so the bolts were close enough to the frame to allow for the welded stops. Not a problem just a consideration.

When I get home after this weekends trip I will lower my brackets to use the upper hole for a 6 in frame and drill out the set screw hole to accept the lower bolt then align things and have stops welded on the top and bottom of the frame.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #674
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I keep thinking about alternative ways the chain and bushing system could be done. One thought that I keep coming up with is that the bushings don't need to be on the frame end of the chains where the small movement (chug) has caused the chain to wear. If the bushing was at the triangular plate end of the chain, the adjusting nut system would not have any movement on the frame end and thus no wear. Another place it could be is in the center of the chain, it just has to be somewhere in the chain system. The bushing needs to be in compression so some kind of a system which kept it in that mode is necessary.

I realize that this would need some re-engineering and have not come up with any simple design that I could make at this point, but maybe someone else could start thinking about it. The point would be to have the bushing unit separated from the adjusting nut so the flex would be there without the chain movement in the square tube. I can even visualize some kind of an over center side ways snap up bracket so once adjusted the chains could be tensioned with a lever action, something like the conventional spring bars use.

Yes, this is Andersen's issue to solve, but just thinking out loud here, how to make it better, simple and grease free, as well as attach to the frame easier, and maybe even more universally, for different frame depths.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #675
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What would you need to use the Anderson hitch on 2 different Airstreams? Just another set of brackets? What is the distance the bracket needs to be mounted on the trailer? I need to see if it will clear my propane tanks with the standard setup. Thanks for any information.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #676
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
As I recall, it is 28" from the center of the ball on the coupler to the front of the frame brackets. I am not at home right now to measure it again. I posted the number somewhere back a ways in this thread but can't find it right now.

Yes, all you would need is another set of brackets for a second trailer, assuming you did not change the chain length for any reason.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #677
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Rather than attempt to duplicate the set up for use on 2 different trailers. I would just do a complete set on each trailer and record the final length on the screws. With that information changing trailers would just be hook up and set the acme screws to the recorded length.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #678
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
What would you need to use the Anderson hitch on 2 different Airstreams? Just another set of brackets? What is the distance the bracket needs to be mounted on the trailer? I need to see if it will clear my propane tanks with the standard setup. Thanks for any information.
I had to shorten my chains to clear the propane tanks, but it didn't work as I wanted so I lengthened them by about a link and it worked perfect. You could do it with one set but it might be easier to order chains and brackets if they can't go in the same place.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #679
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Personally I would not weld in a stop on the frame. I would weld the bracket to the frame. There isn't an advantage welding in a stop and it won't look as nice.

I drove 15 miles to the weld shop to get my door frame fixed today. I had the chain brackets at my new angle. There was no chain noise or rubbing that I could tell. But it was only 15 miles. 400 mile trip to Zion in 5 weeks will be the real test.

I like the idea of dropping the bracket with a larger frame mount, this is an easy fix, but you will have to know some measurements to get it right.

With my angle and the brackets welded (not yet) I foresee no more problems. Waiting on replacement chain for the one that wore badly, before I weld it all up..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #680
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do wish someone from Andersen would chime in here. I am curious as to what they think about the modifications (proposed and actual) that some are making. Until the issue of the rubbing was brought up here I had not even thought about it. Looking at mine I do see some noticeable rubbing of the chain and the housing but not sure if it will actually be bad enough in the future to be an issue.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Closed Thread