Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #351
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
Looks like I'll be buying an Andersen WD Hitch I love the ease of use and no grease! I was just looking on their website and noticed that they also offer a "Greaseless Hardball" (costs extra) but looks like it might work better than the ball that comes standard with the hitch.
Below is the link:
3453 - 2" Greaseless Single AlumiBall
Hi, this looks like the wrong size ball and for a completely different type hitch.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #352
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, most of our trailers use the 2 5/16 ball. It is interesting that they have this, while saying you don't need grease on the ball. It is a new hitch concept, and I can see that there may be a learning curve from the factory as to what works best in the real world of us users. As I have mentioned, I use a little grease on the ball of my Andersen and Howee had found that a small amount of lube on the bottom ring and shank is helpful. I have been experimenting with teflon tape in that location, but have reached no conclusions as to weather it is really useful or not.

This is a great thread to toss out ideas and things we have tried with the Andersen.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #353
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this looks like the wrong size ball and for a completely different type hitch.
You are absolutely correct about the wrong hitch. It says it's for the Rapid Hitch. If you click on the Rapid hitch button on the left, you can see it is a completely different thing.

Ken
Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #354
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba
Yes, most of our trailers use the 2 5/16 ball. It is interesting that they have this, while saying you don't need grease on the ball. It is a new hitch concept, and I can see that there may be a learning curve from the factory as to what works best in the real world of us users. As I have mentioned, I use a little grease on the ball of my Andersen and Howee had found that a small amount of lube on the bottom ring and shank is helpful. I have been experimenting with teflon tape in that location, but have reached no conclusions as to weather it is really useful or not.

This is a great thread to toss out ideas and things we have tried with the Andersen.
My 68' is a 2" ball.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #355
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, the more that I read about this hitch the more I understand it and like it. Now what about the frame brackets. How far back from the coupler do they go for example 29" to 32"s like my Equal-i-zer so I don't have battery box or propane tank issues? And what about the 5" to 6" brackets? I think I would prefer to have brackets made for my 5" frame only. Or is this partly why I see four holes per bracket? Any close up pictures of the brackets bolted to a 5" frame and showing which holes you used.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #356
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I will measure my backset for the mounting of the brackets tomorrow and give you the dimensions. My frame is a 4" so the 3-4" frame bracket use the top holes. The 5-6" brackets would use the bottom holes, but you could cut the top part off prior to installation if you didn't want the projection.

You can shorten the chains a lot according to Andersen, and they will supply longer ones if you want or need them for some spacing reasons. Mine fit behind the propane tank rings on my Argosy's just perfectly, but your spacing on a newer AS might be different.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #357
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
Looks like I'll be buying an Andersen WD Hitch I love the ease of use and no grease! I was just looking on their website and noticed that they also offer a "Greaseless Hardball" (costs extra) but looks like it might work better than the ball that comes standard with the hitch.
Below is the link:
3453 - 2" Greaseless Single AlumiBall
That ball will not work with the WD hitch. It is for the Rapid Hitch that they make and sell. Look closely at the pictures and videos on their site of the WD system and you will see why it would not work or is even necessary.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #358
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
AWCHIEF: thanks for pointing that out, I sure missed it when I looked at the link.

ROBERTSUNRUS: I just went out and measured my chain bracket setback and it is 28" from the center of the ball to the center of the brackets as I have them mounted on my Argosy. For me, that is behind the propane tank bottom hold downs, which are welded in place on my rig. That dimension is for the standard supplied chains. The supplied chains can be shortened in the field for a closer mount, and Andersen will supply longer ones for a bracket farther back on special order.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Okay, me too. The Equal-I-Zer has done the job but the light weight, low cost, ease of use, no grease has got to me. I prefer the Hensley/Propride design but the cost, heavy tongue weight, some difficulty hitching, and how we travel holds me back.

Perhaps the great factor in this decision is the jostling of us and our equipment on many older concrete highway sections. (No it's not the hitch adjustment; after many campers, it's lousy roads). Reports are this is greatly reduced by the Andersen design. Is it?

doug k
Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #360
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Okay, me too. The Equal-I-Zer has done the job but the light weight, low cost, ease of use, no grease has got to me. I prefer the Hensley/Propride design but the cost, heavy tongue weight, some difficulty hitching, and how we travel holds me back.

Perhaps the great factor in this decision is the jostling of us and our equipment on many older concrete highway sections. (No it's not the hitch adjustment; after many campers, it's lousy roads). Reports are this is greatly reduced by the Andersen design. Is it?

doug k
I noticed a difference in ride with mine. I have not been down dirt roads with it yet but on the rough highways it smooths out the jolts that I got with my old WD.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #361
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the more that I read about this hitch the more I understand it and like it. Now what about the frame brackets. How far back from the coupler do they go for example 29" to 32"s like my Equal-i-zer so I don't have battery box or propane tank issues? And what about the 5" to 6" brackets? I think I would prefer to have brackets made for my 5" frame only. Or is this partly why I see four holes per bracket? Any close up pictures of the brackets bolted to a 5" frame and showing which holes you used.

My propane brakets were in the way of mine so I cut out a few links of the chain and placed them in front of the propane bottles. So you can make it shorter and I suppose you could add a chain coupler to make it longer if needed..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #362
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
I wish I could say for sure but since most of my towing with conventional WD hitches was with a different TV than I now have, and the new one is a Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension I don't know if the smoother ride is totally because of the Andersen, or if it is because of the Jeep Air Suspension. I can only say that it does ride, tow and handle very very well. But, if you look at my very early posts in this thread, you will see my impressions of the Andersen and Jeep vs. my older WD hitch and the same Jeep. They may help you out more than my memory at this point.

I just had another 600 mile trip last week, and will be on an 850 mile all interstate one this weekend (with the 22' Argosy rear door this time). I already have in the range of 4000 miles of towing with the Andersen and continue to be impressed with it in all ways.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #363
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mifflinburg , Pennsylvania
Hey gang. Great thread with very valuable information in it. I'm picking up a 22' Argosy rear door this weekend and have chosen to go with the Andersen after reading 20+ pages of great discussion on this hitch. So we'll have one more combination to report on. Looking forward to contributing back the the forum that's provided so much useful knowledge.

Be safe in your travels,
Ryan
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #364
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Those that have followed this thread know that I was quite excited by the new design and it's advantages over other WD hitches.

Now after several trips I have to report an situation that greatly disturbed me. Yesterday while hitching up the ball shaft came out of the housing dropping the TV. Had my hands or legs been contacted during that drop I would not be in a position to writing this reply. Now I must say I have used the tongue jack to lift the combination of the TV and trailer high enough to place the triangle plate on the ball shaft, something the Andersen does not suggest. I am writing this to advise others that may be hitching the same way to reconsider this practice.

After the failure I was thing of ways to prevent this from ever happening again while hitching. While Andersen suggests you only take the tongue load of the hitch and loosen the nuts while hitching this dropping could happen with any upward force on the ball.

I called Andersen and talked to Ryan suggesting they consider extending the ball shaft an inch and using a separate collar and pin, not to be removed while hitching, to prevent this from happening. A safety pin. Rather than discussing the advantages or disadvantages of this modification he took a defensive position that the instruction stated to limit the lit on the ball to the tongue weight. I am sure many of you would prefer a product designed to preclude potential failures rather than one that just advises against failure in the manual.

I will from now on limit the lifting I do with the tongue jack while hitching and take the additional steps of loosing the nuts while hitching.

I still look at this hitch system as having advantages over others. Each hitching system has potential accident points while hitching. However to be advised of a potential problem and not even wanting to discuss it leaves one with questions.

Closed Thread