Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #309
Rivet Idiot
 
AirHeadsRus's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 941
I am now over 2,000 miles towing with the Andersen hitch. I am still very pleased with it however I did have one issue which I do not know what to think about it. On I-81 on the way back to Virginia from Airpocono, I ran into some really nasty weather with very high wind gusts. That was not really a problem until a semi passed me on a bridge right when a very high gust was blowing. I was in the right lane and the truck was in the left. The gust hit the truck which swerved into my lane. I swerved as well and about the same time he pulled up and exposed my trailer to the gust. Before I could digest what was going on the computer on the f-150 took over both the throttle and brakes. It appeared to me in that split second the power was cut and the brakes were applied in 4 short bursts. What ever it did fixed anything that was wrong and no other problems on the rest of the trip.
I assume that was the beginning of sway but the anti sway combination of truck and hitch stopped it cold. It was nice to have that working for me as I was more concerned about the truck pushing me into to guard rail.
__________________

__________________
AirHeadsRus is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #310
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,197
Images: 33
Glad to hear the Ford F150 anti-sway system actually works. Hopefully I will not have to test it on my F150 anytime soon.
__________________

__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #311
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
I have read two stories about the F-150 sway control. One that it applied only truck brakes to control sway, and another that it also braked the trailer.

Anyone know?

This in combination with the Andersen Hitch is interesting.

doug k
__________________
dkottum is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #312
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland also has trailer sway control, but I have not had any indication that it worked or not. The Andersen seems to do any control needed, but my experience is only with trucks passing me on the Interstates. Absolutely no push, pull, or any reaction from my rigs.

Oh, my Jeep did not come with a built in brake controller, so whatever it does would only be to the TV itself.
__________________
idroba is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #313
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,197
Images: 33
Doug, if I understand my owner’s manual correctly it only applies the TV brakes, but there is more to the system than that. It also controls the throttle. The combination of the two helps to control the sway. The factory trailer brake control also works with the SYNC system to control the trailer brakes using integration with the onboard computer rather than relying on magnets, g-meters or hydraulics as some other brake controllers do.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #314
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,853
Images: 12
If the automatic sway control on the TV applies the Brake Lights it would apply the trailer brakes also since that is the signal that the trailer brakes work off. Now that said that signal would be of such short duration that it is questionable what effect it would have on the trailer
__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #315
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Has anyone heard before of the F150 anti sway system ever being activated with any other type of hitch?
__________________
SteveH is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #316
Rivet Idiot
 
AirHeadsRus's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Has anyone heard before of the F150 anti sway system ever being activated with any other type of hitch?
That is a good question Steve. When it activated, it was so subtle and short duration in control had I not known it had this feature, I would have just shrugged it off.
__________________
AirHeadsRus is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #317
moderator
Commercial Member
 
Airslide's Avatar

 
2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,706
Images: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
I am now over 2,000 miles towing with the Andersen hitch. I am still very pleased with it however I did have one issue which I do not know what to think about it. On I-81 on the way back to Virginia from Airpocono, I ran into some really nasty weather with very high wind gusts. That was not really a problem until a semi passed me on a bridge right when a very high gust was blowing. I was in the right lane and the truck was in the left. The gust hit the truck which swerved into my lane. I swerved as well and about the same time he pulled up and exposed my trailer to the gust. Before I could digest what was going on the computer on the f-150 took over both the throttle and brakes. It appeared to me in that split second the power was cut and the brakes were applied in 4 short bursts. What ever it did fixed anything that was wrong and no other problems on the rest of the trip.
I assume that was the beginning of sway but the anti sway combination of truck and hitch stopped it cold. It was nice to have that working for me as I was more concerned about the truck pushing me into to guard rail.
Great feedback on new technologies.. glad to hear it worked out.
Im sure that would have been the perfect storm for under hitched / dated vehicles.


Vinnie
__________________
"Old fashioned service on your late model Airstream"

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #318
Rivet Master
 
purman's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,542
Where is the pressure on the ball??

As you can see in the pictures of my ball, (which now has 3000 miles on it) There is some wear on the back of the ball, but most of the wear is on the side back on both sides, which doesn't hit the ball lock, as so many are worried about.

also, you will notice wear on the top front of the ball, not the back!!

Now some of this will depend on the wear of your coupler. Mine is over 40 years old. Others my have different wear on their ball, (don't go there) It would be good to see some pictures of them.. Stay out of the gutter please So if you get a chance post some pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	165363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2036.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	165364  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2035.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	165365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2034.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	165366  

__________________
Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #319
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,313
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Has anyone heard before of the F150 anti sway system ever being activated with any other type of hitch?
Hi, is this a praise for Ford doing it's job, as per design, or is it to try and find fault in a new hitch?
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #320
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, is this a praise for Ford doing it's job, as per design, or is it to try and find fault in a new hitch?
Not trying to find fault with anything, or praise anything. If I was trying to do either, my intentions would have been clear and no one would have asked, I guess.

It is interesting, however, that this is the first time I have read about the Ford stabilization system kicking in. May not actually be the first time, just the first time I have read about it. Now, if it in fact IS the only time it has happened, then I would ask why?
__________________
SteveH is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #321
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Where is the pressure on the ball??

As you can see in the pictures of my ball, (which now has 3000 miles on it) There is some wear on the back of the ball, but most of the wear is on the side back on both sides, which doesn't hit the ball lock, as so many are worried about.

also, you will notice wear on the top front of the ball, not the back!!

Now some of this will depend on the wear of your coupler. Mine is over 40 years old. Others my have different wear on their ball, (don't go there) It would be good to see some pictures of them.. Stay out of the gutter please So if you get a chance post some pics..
Jason, Contrary to Andersen's claims, it looks to me like some hitch grease would be a good thing on that ball.
__________________
SteveH is offline  
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #322
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Jason, Contrary to Andersen's claims, it looks to me like some hitch grease would be a good thing on that ball.
My marks on my Andersen hitch are similar to Jason's, but none on the front of the ball. I do use a very small amount of Reese "on the ball" hitch lube (a white grease) and think it is of value. It is so small an amount it wipes off easily with a paper towel when I unhitch. The ball is smoother when I use the lube than when I didn't, so I am continuing to do it.
__________________

__________________
idroba is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.