Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #341
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Do I still need an Andersen Hitch with an F250 TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
"I am sure I ignorantly added to the problem by choosing a Ford F250 as TV."

I know lots of people who pull Airstreams very successfully with Ford 250's without the trailer suffering damage. I suspect you are hitched too stiffly or have a bad imbalance in the running gear. I think the Ford 250 was an great choice for a TV. Maybe your torsion bars are too heavy? Or you are transferring more weight than needed to the front wheels? Or you have 10 ply with 80 psi in them? I pull an older 25' with a 2500 Dodge that is not sprung nearly as well as the Ford and we marvel at how stuff stays in place in the trailer and does not bounce around.
Hi Bill,

Just yesterday, my husband and I were test driving potential tow vehicles (3/4 Ton Ford, GMC & Dodge) and he asked me, "Do you think we'll even need a WD hitch if we are towing with one of these big boys?" I told him I'd ask the pros on Airforums. So, what do you think?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #342
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I got mine today; now to set-it up. Looks simple and good instructions. Now to compare it to my Equi-lizer.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
Hi Bill,

Just yesterday, my husband and I were test driving potential tow vehicles (3/4 Ton Ford, GMC & Dodge) and he asked me, "Do you think we'll even need a WD hitch if we are towing with one of these big boys?" I told him I'd ask the pros on Airforums. So, what do you think?
It depends what you will be towing with it. For any TT (travel trailer) other then a popup an anti-sway hitch is very helpful some would even say necessary. With a 3/4 ton a 23' Airstream would be the biggest I would want to tow more then a short distance without WD, but I would rather not do that on a regular basis.

Using a WD/anti-sway hitch just increases safety so why not?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #344
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
It depends what you will be towing with it. For any TT (travel trailer) other then a popup an anti-sway hitch is very helpful some would even say necessary. With a 3/4 ton a 23' Airstream would be the biggest I would want to tow more then a short distance without WD, but I would rather not do that on a regular basis.

Using a WD/anti-sway hitch just increases safety so why not?
Also, check the rating on the truck's hitch (receiver). On my F350's factory installed hitch the maximum is 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs trailer weight without a weight distributing hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch label.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	166932  

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #345
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thank you so much for the help Wazbro and DavidsonOverlander. We never considered looking at the rating on the truck's hitch. That would be an important consideration especially since the 27FB International has a hitch weight of 770 lbs.

Thank you again! It is really so nice to meet such nice and helpful people on this forum :-)
Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #346
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's more than hitch weight that you need a w.d. hitch, you need the sway control features as well. A 3/4 ton truck suspension and high center of gravity is not the most stable thing on the road in emergency maneuvers or if the trailer starts to sway.

doug k
Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #347
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I hope this thread can remain information about the Andersen hitch and not the need for a WD hitch in general. Just a heads up not to let the topic drift too far from the original title.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #348
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Will the Andersen Hitch Make A 3/4 Ton More Stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It's more than hitch weight that you need a w.d. hitch, you need the sway control features as well. A 3/4 ton truck suspension and high center of gravity is not the most stable thing on the road in emergency maneuvers or if the trailer starts to sway.

doug k
Hi Doug,

So do you think the Andersen Hitch will make a 3/4 ton pulling a 7600 lb Airstream more stable?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #349
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Hi Doug,

So do you think the Andersen Hitch will make a 3/4 ton pulling a 7600 lb Airstream more stable?
Hi, I think the hitch [any hitch] is supposed to make the trailer more stable. [not the tow vehicle] Or I miss-understood what you are saying.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #350
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think the hitch [any hitch] is supposed to make the trailer more stable. [not the tow vehicle] Or I miss-understood what you are saying.
Looks like I'll be buying an Andersen WD Hitch I love the ease of use and no grease! I was just looking on their website and noticed that they also offer a "Greaseless Hardball" (costs extra) but looks like it might work better than the ball that comes standard with the hitch.
Below is the link:
3453 - 2" Greaseless Single AlumiBall
Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #351
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Looks like I'll be buying an Andersen WD Hitch I love the ease of use and no grease! I was just looking on their website and noticed that they also offer a "Greaseless Hardball" (costs extra) but looks like it might work better than the ball that comes standard with the hitch.
Below is the link:
Hi, this looks like the wrong size ball and for a completely different type hitch.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #352
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, most of our trailers use the 2 5/16 ball. It is interesting that they have this, while saying you don't need grease on the ball. It is a new hitch concept, and I can see that there may be a learning curve from the factory as to what works best in the real world of us users. As I have mentioned, I use a little grease on the ball of my Andersen and Howee had found that a small amount of lube on the bottom ring and shank is helpful. I have been experimenting with teflon tape in that location, but have reached no conclusions as to weather it is really useful or not.

This is a great thread to toss out ideas and things we have tried with the Andersen.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #353
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this looks like the wrong size ball and for a completely different type hitch.
You are absolutely correct about the wrong hitch. It says it's for the Rapid Hitch. If you click on the Rapid hitch button on the left, you can see it is a completely different thing.

Ken
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #354
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba
Yes, most of our trailers use the 2 5/16 ball. It is interesting that they have this, while saying you don't need grease on the ball. It is a new hitch concept, and I can see that there may be a learning curve from the factory as to what works best in the real world of us users. As I have mentioned, I use a little grease on the ball of my Andersen and Howee had found that a small amount of lube on the bottom ring and shank is helpful. I have been experimenting with teflon tape in that location, but have reached no conclusions as to weather it is really useful or not.

This is a great thread to toss out ideas and things we have tried with the Andersen.
My 68' is a 2" ball.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, the more that I read about this hitch the more I understand it and like it. Now what about the frame brackets. How far back from the coupler do they go for example 29" to 32"s like my Equal-i-zer so I don't have battery box or propane tank issues? And what about the 5" to 6" brackets? I think I would prefer to have brackets made for my 5" frame only. Or is this partly why I see four holes per bracket? Any close up pictures of the brackets bolted to a 5" frame and showing which holes you used.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #356
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I will measure my backset for the mounting of the brackets tomorrow and give you the dimensions. My frame is a 4" so the 3-4" frame bracket use the top holes. The 5-6" brackets would use the bottom holes, but you could cut the top part off prior to installation if you didn't want the projection.

You can shorten the chains a lot according to Andersen, and they will supply longer ones if you want or need them for some spacing reasons. Mine fit behind the propane tank rings on my Argosy's just perfectly, but your spacing on a newer AS might be different.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #357
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Below is the link:
That ball will not work with the WD hitch. It is for the Rapid Hitch that they make and sell. Look closely at the pictures and videos on their site of the WD system and you will see why it would not work or is even necessary.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #358
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
AWCHIEF: thanks for pointing that out, I sure missed it when I looked at the link.

ROBERTSUNRUS: I just went out and measured my chain bracket setback and it is 28" from the center of the ball to the center of the brackets as I have them mounted on my Argosy. For me, that is behind the propane tank bottom hold downs, which are welded in place on my rig. That dimension is for the standard supplied chains. The supplied chains can be shortened in the field for a closer mount, and Andersen will supply longer ones for a bracket farther back on special order.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Okay, me too. The Equal-I-Zer has done the job but the light weight, low cost, ease of use, no grease has got to me. I prefer the Hensley/Propride design but the cost, heavy tongue weight, some difficulty hitching, and how we travel holds me back.

Perhaps the great factor in this decision is the jostling of us and our equipment on many older concrete highway sections. (No it's not the hitch adjustment; after many campers, it's lousy roads). Reports are this is greatly reduced by the Andersen design. Is it?

doug k
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #360
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Okay, me too. The Equal-I-Zer has done the job but the light weight, low cost, ease of use, no grease has got to me. I prefer the Hensley/Propride design but the cost, heavy tongue weight, some difficulty hitching, and how we travel holds me back.

Perhaps the great factor in this decision is the jostling of us and our equipment on many older concrete highway sections. (No it's not the hitch adjustment; after many campers, it's lousy roads). Reports are this is greatly reduced by the Andersen design. Is it?

doug k
I noticed a difference in ride with mine. I have not been down dirt roads with it yet but on the rough highways it smooths out the jolts that I got with my old WD.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Closed Thread