Obviously you have not read the entire thread. Jim

Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #2298
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Obviously you have not read the entire thread. Jim
You are right I may not have. If I missed something please advise.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #2299
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We have now towed our 2013 Airstream 3,000 miles with the Anderson Hitch and a 2013 Lexus GX 460 TV. We are also using a DirecLink brake controller. We had the dealer replace the original coupler with a Quickbite 7700XT coupler. The Quickbite installation was very professional and it looks as if it was factory installed.

Our previous towing experience includes a 2007 23' Airstream towed with a 2006 Toyota Sequoia with a Equalizer hitch with 1000lb spring bars. That tow combo had a Prodigy brake controller and was towed 30,000 miles all over the west including two trips to Alaska. Prior to our Airstreams we had a 2002 TrailManor 2619 towed by a 1999 Ford Explorer with the Prodigy. That combo was towed throughout the SW for around 30,000 miles.

We have taken two one month trips out of Portland with the new Airstream. The first trip was a shakedown cruise and was to the SW Oregon coast where we had to travel south on I5 and cross the Coast Range. On our way north we came up Highway 1 before crossing the coast range back to Portland. Our second trip was to Yellowstone National Park. That required taking I90E and I84W and crossing several major passes. On the interstates we kept it at 65 mph up and down the grades. Inside Yellowstone we pulled the trailer around the whole Grand Loop road.

Our impressions using the Anderson Hitch are excellent. Towing stability is very high. Crosswinds and passing trucks on interstates were not a problem and the whole rig is very quiet. With our previous combo with the Equalizer we lost interior rivets frequently from the front of the trailer. No rivets have been lost to date. Hitching and unhitching is faster and easier on the Anderson. And not having to grease the ball is great. With the rear camera on the Lexus hitching up by one person is a snap. We are very happy with the Anderson.

We did have some issues. The first is that there was some interference between the Anderson Hitch and the Quickbite coupler. Upon return from our first trip we had the Airstream Adventures of Portland grind off some of the front inside corner of the Anderson rack. The are no more clearance issues but it is close. We may ask the Airstream Adventures to grind off some more.

The second issue occurred in the beginning of our shakedown trip after towing 500 miles from Portland to Brookings, OR. We were unable to remove the pin by hand even after loosening the chains. We used a mallet to pound it out and a pair of pliers to pull it out. The pin was very tight and we were worried about reinserting and removing it several more times on our 1 month trip.

We called Anderson and were told that in manufacturing the hitch some paint sometimes got inside the hole the pin is inserted and makes inserting and removing the pin difficult. We were told to file out any paint inside the hole, which in our hitch was on the triangle plate, and that would resolve my issue. The local hardware store had some round files and we removed any paint inside the hole. The problem was solved and we have not had any more issues inserting or removing the pin.

Our only other issue is minor. Hitching up an an angle is more difficult that hitching up straight. With the Equalizer hitching up at an angle was the same as hitching up straight.

We find we have to loosen the nuts to get the chain loose enough for easy insertion and removal of the pin and triangle plate. Lifting the trailer with the jack is not enough. Our rig is level and stable with around 6 threads showing on each screw.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #2300
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Thanks for the report. Good information about the pin/paint problem, as a couple of others mentioned a problem in that area.

"......the whole rig is very quiet."

That is the first thing I noticed. It is almost eerie, as one waits for the usual squeaks and clatter.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #2301
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
"......the whole rig is very quiet."

That is the first thing I noticed. It is almost eerie, as one waits for the usual squeaks and clatter.
We pulled into a campground after prolonged rainfall fall with the Equalizer hitch many years ago and the whole campground heard us. This was before Equalizer offered Sway Bracket Jackets. In fact we tested early versions of these jackets for Equalizer on our first trip to Alaska in 2008.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #2302
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Functional Simplicity

Have always sought simplicity but yet superior functionality hence immediately gravitated towards an Airstream. I feel likewise for the Andersen Hitch. Fine tuning the Andersen to achieve that driving feeling of oneness w/ a trailer and having to glance at the mirror occasionally insuring that the trailer is still there is simple, just loosen or tighten the nuts starting w/ half turns. You're set and experience the softest, quietest ride ever. But when there's any significant weight changes w/ your TT/TV like maybe adding 40 gallons of fresh water or whatnot, just fine tune again like above. After a while on the road you just know how much to turn the adjustable chain nuts for that ultimate towing feel.
Enjoying being on the road now for over a month and currently in Missouri somewhere. So thankful for the Andersen in igniting my interest in trailer traveling once again, of course, Airstream trailers, that is. Have a general goal of ending up in Disney World Florida and back to the west coast sometime via the southern route. I just can't imagine of going back to the complexity of a bar-type hitch ever again. It's more fun traveling when it's simple, safe and fully functional. Attached some pictures on some stops w/ the new 25' flying cloud and of course my new simple QB coupler I had put in. Traded my vintage 31' which equally ran great w/ the Andersen. May post again in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0034.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	196395   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0035 (3).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	196396  

Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #2303
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
dmand001, that's the same model trailer we attempted with our Andersen, it seemed quite rosy as well (until multiple issues caused us to remove it). But take it to the weight scales and see how little weight transfer the Andersen can accomplish for you. You will be heavy on the rear axle and too light on the front. Drives fine until you need good steering control such as slick roadways.

There is virtually no flexibility in this hitch design. We had elongated mounting bolt holes and possible trailer damage where the A frame meets the shell. Keep an eye on it as you continue to use the hitch.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 09-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #2304
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
And the beat goes on. Jim
Old 09-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #2305
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
Have always sought simplicity but yet superior functionality hence immediately gravitated towards an Airstream. I feel likewise for the Andersen Hitch. Fine tuning the Andersen to achieve that driving feeling of oneness w/ a trailer and having to glance at the mirror occasionally insuring that the trailer is still there is simple, just loosen or tighten the nuts starting w/ half turns. You're set and experience the softest, quietest ride ever. But when there's any significant weight changes w/ your TT/TV like maybe adding 40 gallons of fresh water or whatnot, just fine tune again like above. After a while on the road you just know how much to turn the adjustable chain nuts for that ultimate towing feel.
Enjoying being on the road now for over a month and currently in Missouri somewhere. So thankful for the Andersen in igniting my interest in trailer traveling once again, of course, Airstream trailers, that is. Have a general goal of ending up in Disney World Florida and back to the west coast sometime via the southern route. I just can't imagine of going back to the complexity of a bar-type hitch ever again. It's more fun traveling when it's simple, safe and fully functional. Attached some pictures on some stops w/ the new 25' flying cloud and of course my new simple QB coupler I had put in. Traded my vintage 31' which equally ran great w/ the Andersen. May post again in the near future.
dmand001-

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. Please do post again in a few months and let us know how the hitch is working for you over time. Personally I'm intrigued but haven't yet decided to be an early adopter. I'm looking forward to learning more from actual users about their experiences over time and many miles.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #2306
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Thanks dmand001 for another user report. I will be on the road to South Texas before noon and look forward to the tow, with the Andersen Hitch. I will be watching for problems, as I would with any mechanical device.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #2307
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Good morning all you Andersen hitch users. Last weekend we towed 300 miles with the Andersen and Quick-Bite combo. The combo worked very well on both two and four lane roads, both with heavy truck traffic. For those of you with Quick-Bite couplers, I added a third aleighment rod by wielding a small diameter collar on the Andersen stinger inline with the ball and with a rod at the ball I was able to back right into the coupler first time, every time. Hooking up has become so easy with the Andersen and the Quick-Bite that I just might try to train my dog to do it.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #2308

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
For those of you with Quick-Bite couplers, I added a third aleighment rod by wielding a small diameter collar on the Andersen stinger inline with the ball and with a rod at the ball I was able to back right into the coupler first time, every time. Hooking up has become so easy with the Andersen and the Quick-Bite that I just might try to train my dog to do it.
Could you post a picture? I'm not quite following your description.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #2309
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I will see if I can add a picture tomarrow
Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #2310
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I hope that I uploaded the pictures. This is the best that I can do until I hookup again, and that may not be till spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102_1278.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	196748   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1277.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	196749  

Name:	102_1274.jpg