Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #2241
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Really quiet here lately.

Has no one any new Andersen experiences to share? I am on hold waiting for my new chains. I was told it would take a week or two. Not a problem. I will share my results when they happen. I have one trip back up the local mountains, planned for Labor Day weekend. If I get my hardware straightened out I may try a run somewhere between now and then, but my summer is running out. I have to Stream vicariously for awhile.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #2242
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
So there you go folks, yet another "issue" with the Andersen hitch.

Lets see if I have them all in order.

1. The coupler on your trailer may not withstand the forces applied by the Andersen so you may need to change it.

2. The chains wear into the square brackets and may fail as result.

3. The brackets may slip on your trailer's tongue and reduce weight distribution if not welded on.

4. If you have a large trailer with a heavy tongue weight, the Andersen my not be able to distribute the weight properly.

5. The anti-sway "brake" material may fail and need replacement prematurely.

Did I miss any "issues"? And, while this thread is only a year old, that's like brand new in the life of a weight distribution hitch design life.
Steve,
I have worked thru points 1-3 and they are not an issue for me. As for point 4, my trailer weighs about 6800 lbs and tongue weight is 825. I can consistantly get back to within 60 to100 pounds of unloaded front axle weight. If I crank it down, the best I can get is with 30 lbs. I never got 100% with my HaHa and could not unless I went to heavier bars. I am happy with that at 100 and it tows very well. As for wear, it is going to happen. Ever seen a HaHa after a few years of towing? I can post pic's of my broke one and also the other worn parts if you want. Many elongated holes.
Your point 5 is a big deal. I can not fix that myself so I am looking to Andersen to get that right. I fully expect they will. If not, I'll take it off, find another hitch and let you know.
Joe

Follow up:
I called Andersen Monday and they are shipping a new sleeve. It should be here Friday. No hassles at all and all solved with 1 call. I suppose you can check off # 5 now Steve.
My next trip is scheduled for the end of July so another update will be coming after that unless I have issues putting the new sleeve in.
Joe
My last post was a few weeks ago so I guessI owe you a follow up. Andersen sent me a new sleeve which arrived about 4 days after I told them I had a problem. They offered to overnight it if I needed it sooner but didn't. I tapped the old one out and stuck the new one in without any problems.
We hooked up about 10 days ago and hauled 635 mile in one day. No problems at all. Annnette drove about half of the way including 50 miles up the Blueridge Parkway and remarkably did not have any white knuckles and thankfully she did not need counseling for a traumatic experience. Sorry Steve, Doug, REDNAX or Slowmover. Can't give you a bad report.
So I guess I'm happy,
Joe

Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #2243
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Joe, you mentioned me so I'll respond briefly. We hear "no problems at all" which is similar to those who have towed without a weight distribution hitch and report the same. The Blue Ridge Parkway has a 45 mph speed limit, not a challenging test. We were also on it last year with the Andersen.

My Andersen worked fine in good conditions as well, if there were not the other problems you mentioned, plus the lack of vertical flexibility in the hitch. It was in gusting side winds and passing trucks that made me nervous. When I had to stop towing for the day because of light steering on a wet slippery roadway and suspected my front braking was diminished that I became aware of the effects of poor weight distribution.

I replaced it with a genuine weight distribution hitch (1400# w.d. bars) and everything is better every time I use it, and no aftermarket jerry rigging is needed. With proper (enough) weight distribution the porpoising issue of my previous spring bar hitch (1000# w.d. bars) is resolved as well.

That's my updated Andersen report, in a nutshell.

doug k
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #2244
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Annette did not have any problems driving up I - 75 in severe thunderstorms. Neither did I. There was no light steering or poor weight distribution or front braking issues. Steering did not feel light.
I have said it before, I am sorry you could not get your Andersen where you are comfortable . Some people can and some people can't. As promised, I reported what my experience was. If you need 1400 lb bars on your PP, no skin off my
trailer. You should post that on the PP threads. Anybody who keeps up with this threads has known you could not make you Andersen work for you for several months. I and others report new stuff, you keep harping on the same failures of your hitch set up.
I am done until I have something new.
Joe
Old 08-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #2245
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
..............snip...............
That's my updated Andersen report, in a nutshell.

doug k
Updated? Looks like the same old, same old to me. You have not used the Andersen hitch for months, yet you are "still" reporting? A little lesson on statistics:

Posting your negative comments ten times does not represent the same amount of information as ten other people reporting once.

I hope this thread keeps going with actual reports of the successes or failures with the Andersen hitch.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #2246
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
For more fun, here is more information.

I posted my Andersen scale figures a couple of pages back. The trailer is my new FC 20'

Hooked up, 8 threads showing
(my final decision)
Front: 2800
Rear: 3640

Trailer axle: 4360

Last year, when I had my Argosy 20' and prior to the Andersen hitch, I posted this information on the scale weights with the same 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The hitch in that case was a Reese/Draw tight round bar, with 750# rated bars. The tongue weight of both the old Argosy and the new Airstream is very close in the 700# range give or take 20#. Here is my posted information. Note: this test was not with the Reese square bar stile hitch shown in my post a few days back. I have a bunch of hitches and parts.

Hooked up, 7 links under tension:

Jeep: Front 2780
Rear 3480

Argosy: 3620

BTW, on the Airstream test above, I had 14 gal of water in the luggage area, almost 100# which I did not have on the Argosy test run.

Both the old Reese and the newer Andersen have very similar numbers. But, as I posted above a couple of pages back, my opinions are only based on 150 to 200 K of towing, over 35 years. Feel free to blow me off if you don't like my positive Andersen reports.. grin. But it simply is the smoothest, quietest, most stable and lightweight hitch I own.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #2247
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
I am on hold waiting for my new chains. I was told it would take a week or two. Not a problem. I will share my results when they happen. I have one trip back up the local mountains, planned for Labor Day weekend. If I get my hardware straightened out I may try a run somewhere between now and then, but my summer is running out. I have to Stream vicariously for awhile.
Well, no new chains. I called to see what happened to them and learned it would be at least $81 per side to add the links. Apparently they order the chains preassembled in bulk and adding would require stopping the assembly line process.

So now my plan is to reposition the brackets under the propane cover and up against the back of the propane tank tray. Hopefully that will allow me to use my current chains with 14 links. My welder-neighbor Steve (who did the great job with my new quickbite coupler) will put some weld beads to hold them in place. The last time I drilled set screw holes, I ruined my umbilical cord. So not going that route again.

Anyway got to get this all done by next Friday so I can go camping over Labor Day. I'll report back my results, in case someone is interested.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #2248
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Well, no new chains. I called to see what happened to them and learned it would be at least $81 per side to add the links. Apparently they order the chains preassembled in bulk and adding would require stopping the assembly line process.

.........snip.........
Maybe I don't understand the problem, but it is relatively easy to add links to a chain. Go to any farm store and get what you need for a couple of dollars. You may even find a longer shackle that would accomplish the same thing. I would use the links that require bending to shape rather than the screw together type.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #2249
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Please No more Scale numbers Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
For more fun, here is more information.

I posted my Andersen scale figures a couple of pages back. The trailer is my new FC 20'

Hooked up, 8 threads showing
(my final decision)
Front: 2800
Rear: 3640

Trailer axle: 4360

Last year, when I had my Argosy 20' and prior to the Andersen hitch, I posted this information on the scale weights with the same 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The hitch in that case was a Reese/Draw tight round bar, with 750# rated bars. The tongue weight of both the old Argosy and the new Airstream is very close in the 700# range give or take 20#. Here is my posted information. Note: this test was not with the Reese square bar stile hitch shown in my post a few days back. I have a bunch of hitches and parts.

Hooked up, 7 links under tension:

Jeep: Front 2780
Rear 3480

Argosy: 3620

BTW, on the Airstream test above, I had 14 gal of water in the luggage area, almost 100# which I did not have on the Argosy test run.

Both the old Reese and the newer Andersen have very similar numbers. But, as I posted above a couple of pages back, my opinions are only based on 150 to 200 K of towing, over 35 years. Feel free to blow me off if you don't like my positive Andersen reports.. grin. But it simply is the smoothest, quietest, most stable and lightweight hitch I own.

Scale numbers don't belong here...post it on the dirty bar type monster hitches thread.

Just the fender measurements and go on traveling.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #2250
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Maybe I don't understand the problem, but it is relatively easy to add links to a chain. Go to any farm store and get what you need for a couple of dollars. You may even find a longer shackle that would accomplish the same thing. I would use the links that require bending to shape rather than the screw together type.
Actually, just what Steve of Andersen suggested I do w/ my QB installation work.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #2251
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
What A Delight

I live on a downhill st and an uphill driveway and traveling had always been a pain leaving home as my old hitch would always bottom out thus I use ramps and remove those heavy nasty, dirty bars as they hit bottom as well. I considered the PP but their vertical bars are even lower thus taking those bars out then in again is out of the question. Well until the Andersen hitch, now I just hitch it and leave. It revived my interest on traveling again and to my delight, a new Bay Area Airstream Dealership exist here now, too. Traded-in my vintage for a new Airstream, 25' Flying Cloud and had a QB installed w/ my Andersen. Did converse w/ their main service guy about the Andersen as they were installing them on others. I think I did educate them about the Andersen some. Will be picking it up on Thursday and away we go again perhaps a mo or two..will see. Will post pictures perhaps along the way.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #2252
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
Scale numbers don't belong here...post it on the dirty bar type monster hitches thread.

Just the fender measurements and go on traveling.
I will post scale numbers if I want to. Many of the negative Andersen posts demand scale weights, I have provided them as measured on my rig to counter the nay sayers.

In addition, my Jeep Grand Cherokee has full air suspension, and that makes it more difficult to set up with fender measurements.

I just returned from another week outing and about 1000 miles of towing. The Andersen continues to be a delight to use.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #2253
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
I will let dmand001 make his own statement, but I don't post scale numbers as there are a couple of Andersen baiters and haters that will exploit a ten pound discrepancy in the weights to prove that the Andersen ain't no good. If the performance is good, then go.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #2254
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I disagree that air bags don't help with weight distribution. While they may not transfer weight to the front axle. They do help with getting the TV and trailer hitch geometry level.
By starting at a level geometry. No matter what WD system is used. The force required to level the 2 units is less, therefore the force required to transfer the weight to the front axle is less.
I have used and do use airbags on my previous 3/4 ton TV as well as my new 1/2 ton TV. I am happy with the results.