Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #2171
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Are you suggesting I have to return my front axle weigh to original if I put my heavy mother-in-law in the back seat lest I be in violation.
I think in most cases having your mother-in-law (heavy or not) in your back seat would actually somewhat increase the load on your front axle, not decrease it. Unless your mother-in-law's centre of gravity is behind your rear axle. Maybe you have a seat waaaaaay in the back just for her.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #2172
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
I think in most cases having your mother-in-law (heavy or not) in your back seat would actually somewhat increase the load on your front axle, not decrease it. Unless your mother-in-law's centre of gravity is behind your rear axle. Maybe you have a seat waaaaaay in the back just for her.
I stand corrected. I was hoping she was ALL THE WAY BACK in the pickup truck and just deflecting the to rear axle.

Now I will have the mother-in-laws of the world on my back to.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #2173
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well, there you have it. Howie has redefined the need for weight distribution.

I have ditched the troublesome, ineffective (and possibly dangerous) Andersen in favor of a ProPride, which uses no friction in favor of brilliant design to obtain no sway, no trailer tow angle to the truck. Hensley operates the same.

The owner of the company has been a frequent contributor to this forum. He is not aware of Howie's new weight distribution standards and recommended 1400# weight distribution bars for my rig. The result has been a softer riding, surefooted system that reduces the Andersen to a wanna-be minor league player.

You ought to try one Howie, you'd never go back to that gizmo from Andersen. Your Airstream would like it as well.

doug k
Old 07-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #2174
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
As an impartial reader of this thread and someone who wants to learn more about various hitches (I don't own an Anderson, ProPride or Hensley), I think we are all aware of Doug's position on the Anderson set-up. I believe readers of future posts in this thread would benefit from information from current Anderson users rather than continually rehashing opinions from folks who have chosen to switch to other brands.

Just my two cents.

Susan
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #2175
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Thank you Susan.

That request has been offered several times in the past without results. doug has on several occasions threatened to not post any longer only to pop back up when anyone new voices a comment of satisfaction towards the Andersen. I think he feels threatened by the fact that a new and much less expensive system is proving to question his decision.

Once he feels the need to voice his misleading comments I feel obligated to respond, something I would clearly not want to continue. I would rather want this tread to be an open discussion of Andersen users whether they be positive or from those who truly have a problem not an agenda.

As a long time user, and frequent commenter on the use, of another system I have not now chosen to go on threads pertaining to that system and Bad Mouth it just for the sake of it. I have found something that works better than what I had and will comment to others in the field as such when asked "What is that"

Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #2176
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Can't hear for the shouting

It's sad that when someone needs actual information here they have to get it through private message most of the time because everything else is lost amid the constant debating over the same issues.

I have both gotten and given info thru pm's. Much simpler, but leaves out a lot people who might otherwise benefit.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #2177
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Susan, your opinion is worth a lot more than 2 cents. Unfortunately it will not stop him from reporting his fiction over and over. Some people just can not move on. Only he knows what his agenda truly is. A couple of years ago in the cruise ship industry one cruise line was paying people to write negative reviews of another line. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but it all smells might fishy to me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #2178
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Thanks Susan. Well said. Sometimes us guys let our ego's cloud the picture.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #2179
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
As an impartial reader of this thread and someone who wants to learn more about various hitches (I don't own an Anderson, ProPride or Hensley), I think we are all aware of Doug's position on the Anderson set-up. I believe readers of future posts in this thread would benefit from information from current Anderson users rather than continually rehashing opinions from folks who have chosen to switch to other brands.

Just my two cents.

Susan
Hi, Susan; The way I see it there has been nothing accomplished for gosh knows how long. Basically, in short, All I've read for days is:

"It works"

"No it doesn't"

"It does too work"

"No it does not"

"Well it works for me"

"Well it didn't work for me"

Where is Andersen? Sean is always there for the Propride users.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #2180
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And don't forget references to science fiction and bumblebees.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #2181
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quickbite in place

FOR WHOM IT MAY INTEREST:

At the risk of actually putting something relevant on this thread, just wanted to post that my Quickbite coupler is now welded to my AS. Still needs a little buffing out and paint, but looks very solid. The top of the old coupler was retained for the tongue jack screw holes. But sides were cut off and ground down as my welder/neighbor wanted to weld on new plate steel to the tongue and attach the qb to that. Have to admit it does make a very solid platform.

If he had done as suggested and merely slipped the qb over the existing atwood (minus the "nose" of course) it still would have left a gap that needed filling anyway.

I don't have room to move my brackets forward to make up for the qb being longer than the atwood, so I anticipate my chains will be one or two links short. I think rather than adding removable links I am just going to contact Andersen and order new chains with extra links. I bent one of my "screws" anyway, so might as well do it right.

I will also have to raise my ball/shank up one hole since the qb ball socket is higher than the atwood, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, I also asked him to add a stop-bead in front of each coupler.

Soon I will be trying out the new system and report my observations.

BTW, rather than messing with clamps or vise grips, we just held the qb in place via the nose jack and it's bolts. Worked fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	191060  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #2182
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Rich - that coupler looks pretty cool. If they don't, AS should offer customers a coupler choice. Maybe brand X is the standard but for an extra $N you can have brand Y or Z installed at the factory...

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #2183
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Rich - that coupler looks pretty cool. If they don't, AS should offer customers a coupler choice. Maybe brand X is the standard but for an extra $N you can have brand Y or Z installed at the factory...

Good luck!
Thanks, I agree, they should let you have the option of a better coupler. Maybe they do if you order it built. But I have to thank those who went before me. I am not the first to add the quick bite. Thanks HowieE for the info (post 1396).
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #2184
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
A bar/friction type sway control hitch control sway through the formula. F=UM. F is the force to overcome movement at the cams and is a function of U, the coefficient of friction between steel and steel and the M, commonly referring to a mass at rest, but in this case the load on the bars produced by transferring weight to the front axle.---
No disagreement -- that's essentially what I said in the first sentence of my previous post:
QUOTING myself
Some BAR type WD hitches do need to be transferring load in order to generate sway control. The Equal-I-zer and Dual Cam are two examples of these so-called "integrated" WDHs.
UNQUOTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
---The only reason to consider weight transfer when using an Andersen, that uses a different mechanical mechanism, friction between the cone and ball shaft, is to apply enough downward force on the front axle to maintain steering geometry, something you might find and quote from some of my other posts.
Maintaining steering geometry is not the major consideration as regards "sway control". The major consideration is maintaining enough load on the front tires so that sufficient steering force is generated. I'm surprised that you would deny this now after stating it in so many of your previous posts. Here's an example:
QUOTING HowieE
Another way to look at this is if the rear fender dropps 1/2 in. the front should drop about 3/8in. These measurments will very somewhat depending on the truck springs but the important point is you want to see weight transfered to the front axle. If the front axle is coming up you will have sway because of the reduced road friction on the front axle.
UNQUOTE (bold added for emphasis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
The owner of the hitch you posted above was a victim of the misunderstanding that WD transfer had to equal that of a bar type system. He had a lightly sprung TV. The load applied to the bushing was beyond extreme and thus caused COLD FLOW of the brake material.
Member floridalarry was not the victim of a misunderstanding. He simply was doing what the Owners Manual for his 2012 Nissan Armada says he should do:
"Attach the trailer to the vehicle and adjust the hitch equalizers so that the front bumper height is within 0 - .5 inches (0 – 13 mm) of the reference height measured in step 2. The rear bumper should be no higher than the reference height measured in step 2."

IOW, he was supposed to adjust the Andersen WDH to return the front axle approximately to its unloaded weight. Since the Andersen WDH is rated for 1400# tongue weight, returning the front axle to its unhitched load would not have exceeded to rating of the hitch and would not have been an "extreme" load.

The second photo of extruded Andersen WDH friction material is for a hitch connected to a TT with 800# tongue weight. The Andersen was able to achieve 57% Front Axle Load Restoration. The load on the Andersen would not have exceeded the rating of the hitch and would not have been an "extreme" load. However, the friction material still was extruded.

A properly-operating WDH must be able to restore front axle load to a value specified by the TV manufacturer. Depending on tongue weight and the TV manufacturer's specification, the Andersen WDH might be able to do the job -- and, it might not.

Ron