Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #2087
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
But you have to admit they so add a bit entertainment value to what would be a dull thread with nothing but happy owners and users of the highly effective Andersen WD system.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #2088
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmand001 View Post
Just ignore these Andersen hitch DETRACTORS especially those heavily invested in the rigid PP or any bar-type hitches. The bar-type hitch unless you're meticulous in weighing your set-up as I am not will cause problems in wear down the road. Andy of Inland has commented on that early on in the PP thread. Rear-end separations, doors not shutting properly and so on and on due to their rigidity from not being perfectly weight balanced regularly.
The Andersen has been such a soft ride a huge difference in my towing life. Guess what, no more weighing, too. After towing for thousands of miles it is the best hitch bar-none for me. BTW, no welding on my brackets either, just flip the inner brackets w/ the set-screws on top opposing the outer bracket screws is holding just like they were welded. The Andersen is the best today and will only get better or unless someone else will topple it. Free market is great.
Ignore them at your own peril.

Not only has Andersen warned that it is not compatible with the Airstream Atwood coupler (can wear and disconnect the trailer), a recent poster also had the latch wear and uncouple on a Marvel coupler. He got rid of his Andersen as others have done, including me.

The hitch is only effective for complete weight distribution with a very light tongue weight, and even that is questionable.

Those who are experiencing a soft ride ought to question why. Part of it is the lack of spring bars. But in many cases it is lack of weight distribution; another way to get a soft ride is not use a w.d hitch at all. Or use an Andersen hitch which provides only limited weight distribution. Great until you have to suddenly steer around an obstacle in the road on rain or ice with a tow vehicle that has a lightened steering axle.

This would be best refuted with actual weight posting showing not "good enough for me", but full weight distribution. Rather the the buffoonery that follows those who question the product.

doug k

Old 07-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #2089
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Ignore them at your own peril.

Not only has Andersen warned that it is not compatible with the Airstream Atwood coupler (can wear and disconnect the trailer), a recent poster also had the latch wear and uncouple on a Marvel coupler. He got rid of his Andersen as others have done, including me.

The hitch is only effective for complete weight distribution with a very light tongue weight, and even that is questionable.

Those who are experiencing a soft ride ought to question why. Part of it is the lack of spring bars. But in many cases it is lack of weight distribution; another way to get a soft ride is not use a w.d hitch at all. Or use an Andersen hitch which provides only limited weight distribution. Great until you have to suddenly steer around an obstacle in the road on rain or ice with a tow vehicle that has a lightened steering axle.

This would be best refuted with actual weight posting showing not "good enough for me", but full weight distribution. Rather the the buffoonery that follows those who question the product.

doug k
Doug, have you actually had any of the problems with the Andersen WD system that you keep saying others have experienced?
And donít forget to add to your list of issues that the paint might chip and lead to terminal failure of the entire system by complete rust thru at the worst possible moment.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #2090
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
It seems that there are more and more of us who like our Andersen and that several people have a problem with that. The front of my truck has been brought down to the unloaded height with Andersen hitch and this makes me happy along with the improved ride and sway controle and if this makes me a buffoon in your opinion than so be it.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #2091
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
But you have to admit . . . . entertainment value . . . ..
Yes Michael, I do find a great deal of this very entertaining. Well past 2000 posts and on the way to the next benchmark.

So let's see some new posters to keep this thread rev'd up.

By the way, thanks Howie for kicking this off!

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Old 07-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #2092
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Huh???

Detractors? What detractors???
Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #2093
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Stockbridge , Georgia
As a new member and a senior citizen with limited income I have read this thread through. At 71 I find it is a problem using my old wd hitch with dual cam sway controls. With medical problems it wears me out just hooking up. My airstream is a 72 safari 23 foot. We have not used it much in the past few years. Now I find a hitch that I can use that does not tax my energy. Seems like every forum I am on there are a few members with a lot to say. And they keep saying it over and over. I am very happy with my new hitch. My marvel coupler is in good shape. If it wears out I will weld on a new one. I have traveled the same roads for over 30 years. Some of them bouncy. The ride now is very smooth. I am happy with the Anderson. If a new member does not buy it because of a few then they will never know. I am a person that would like to see photos of all these problems. Seems like we all have digital cameras now. If trailer comes unhooked take a pix. If coupler is worn out. Take a pix. The few detractors have had their say and should just sit back and laugh when we have a problem and say I told you so, if that happens. Otherwise it is time for them to move on to another thread. Thanks for all the great information on this forum that is useful.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #2094
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Let's see . . ignore the weight-distribution requirement in favor of what winds up as no more than an expensive but low-performing anti-sway device. Glad you all are happy with your warm fuzzy feelings, but too bad that numbers are the thing that counts. Keep it slow, fellas, real slow.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #2095
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Let's see . . ignore the weight-distribution requirement in favor of what winds up as no more than an expensive but low-performing anti-sway device. Glad you all are happy with your warm fuzzy feelings, but too bad that numbers are the thing that counts. Keep it slow, fellas, real slow.

What I ignore is people that don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Ignorance can be fixed, stupid can not.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #2096
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Stockbridge , Georgia
Slow Mover. Have you ever used one?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #2097
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Slow Mover may not have used an Andersen, but I have, and I like it a lot....on my 17' Casita. I think it's a great hitch with the smaller lighter trailers.

However, many users on this forum have proved that it will not adequately distribute the tongue weight of the larger trailers, and when they try to force it to do it, something fails. Just look thru the thread, read about the failures, and look at their pictures.

No one wanted this thing to work more than I, well with the possible exception of those on here that keep on and keep on beating the Andersen drum. Y'all know who you are. THE biggest supporter of the Andersen told me on a phone call when I asked him why he didn't adjust it so it transferred the required weight, and go down and get a weight ticket, he said "I don't care how much it transfers, it works good as it is."

Folks, this is just living with an obvious problem, not addressing it or solving it.

The hitch is revolutionary in design and concept, and again works well with lighter trailer.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #2098
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I agree with Steve. Based on actual real world experience using the Andersen WD system I can confirm that it is an excellent and very effective WD system to use on a light weight Airsteam trailer. What he and a couple of other chose to ignore are the many reports from very happy users with larger and heavier trailers. Perceptions get clouded and tend to lead to a selective view of the facts as others see them.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #2099
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Cost Factor

Wondering the cost of the added weight of the other heavy hitches to the stealth lightness of the ", AH", Andersen Hitch on gas. What about medical issues attributed to the heaviness of hitching/unhitches those monster heavy hitches? What about the constant weighing of those set-ups, time spent, scale tickets then of course, maintenance issues from wear due to rigidity of ride. Numbers folks please calculate?
Perhaps when safety is concerned, expense is not an issue, OK I get it, the more expense the safer it is , is that right?
My vintage one can go on now better than the previous 40yrs w/ the "AH".
Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #2100
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

You still ignoring your 100 lbs. I don't think I ever saw your weight tickets where you fixed it.