1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvastola View Post
Hi,

I will add a user report.

I have a 19' Bambi and a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee TV. I installed the Andersen WD system about a month ago.

Sorry, I have no weights. I took fender measurements and the front fenders returned to exactly the same height as unhooked the rear are about an 1" lower. The trailer is level. The ride is excellent. I worked with Andersen when I had some questions. I ended up grinding off two links of the chain because my propane tanks were in the way.

After about 1000 miles I am VERY happy.

Please don't try to get me into theoretical discussions, I now feel safe and I am going camping!

If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Jim
Hi Jim, thanks for posting your experience. Also welcome to the Forums.
Joe

Old 06-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #198
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I know for me that 200# less on the front when towing is no big deal. I have driven from Seattle to Colorado with the back of the sequoia full of Ikea furniture. I know my front end was up because the semi trucks keep flashing me. When my car is full of groceries and my four kids, the front end I'm sure is lighter but I have never noticed it.

I'm with most here, when towing I measure the fender height on the front and back. And I'm good to go. No matter what WD I use.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #199
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

Steve we are both retired so I have to assume you have some age on you. Do you really have the time to wait a decade or until someone gets 100,000 miles on an Andersen. I did not. I saw something that made scene to me. I bought it. I made the changes in the instruction that were warranted and I have a system that works better than what I had before. If it fails this Forum will be the first to know.

The half dozen or more Reese systems I have used over time all had some form of failure and I have posted those conditions here over the years.
I have had the head bust in half while on the road. I have had bars crack in 2. I have worn trunnions to the point beyond adjustment limits. I have had the upper cup push out from lack of material in the original casting. I have redesigned the new Straight Line System to correct the fact that they fail on hard turns. All in all I am prepared for a mechanical system to fail, they all do in time, and will deal with that when it happens. We have to make our own judgements on the information we a comfortable with.
HowieE,

Don't get me wrong, if I were in need of a hitch, I would buy the Andersen in a heartbeat. However, at this time I own what I believe to be the best hitch made, so I'm not buying anything else.

I guess let's just say that I am very interested in Andersen's new type of hitch, and I'm enjoying discussing it. If a time comes that I see that I need a different hitch, and the Andersen is still doing well, and no major issues have developed, I'd probably buy one.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Ron I will hook up and tow to the scales if you can explain to me how I dropped the fender height of my TV by 3/8 of an inch when hooked up with the Andersen.---
In order to provide a meaningful explanation, I would need to know:

the trailer's tongue weight,

the fender heights with the TT NOT attached,

the fender heights with the TT attached and with the WDH chains loose,

the fender heights with the TT attached and with the WDH chains tight.

Ron
Old 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #201
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
HowieE, You stated you provided changes in the instructions for the hitch to Andersen......could you post those changes here?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #202
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Ron, I'm not sure what my tongue weight is now but when I did the bathroom scale method it was pushing 1200 lbs. I had a Hensley on then. Maybe you can figure what it would be now.
Joe
Joe, due to the uncertainty in your axle load data, any tongue weight calculation would be only a SWAG.

Given the "adjustments" mentioned in my previous post, I'm guessing the "apparent" tongue weight was around 800#.
The actual tongue weight likely would be somewhat greater than that.

When a trailer is attached to the tow vehicle with no WD applied, the trailer usually is in a nose-down attitude.
With independent axle suspension, this tends to increase the load on the front trailer axle and reduce the load on the rear.
The trailer's fulcrum point moves closer to the CG and the load on the ball coupler is reduced.
The amount of load reduction depends on several factors, but the end result is the "apparent" tongue weight calculated from the TV axle loads usually is less than the actual tongue weight.

When you measured the "tongue weight" to be 1200#, was the Hensley hanging from the ball?
If so the measured tongue weight (minus Hensley) might have been closer to 1000#.
Also, if you measured the load on the tongue jack, the actual tongue weight might be 5-10% less due to the distance between the ball coupler and the tongue jack.

Maybe you need to get out the bathroom scale again.

Ron
Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
HowieE, You stated you provided changes in the instructions for the hitch to Andersen......could you post those changes here?
The main mistake they wrote in the instruction is that the front fender can be allowed to rise by more than an inch. If that is allowed you would lose almost all steering control of the TV plus it would change the steering geometry such that it would most likely cause abnormal tire wear, especially on vehicles using A frame suspension. On my truck, with leaf springs, it would just be a lose of steering control since the steering geometry is not effected by changes in height with that type of spring. They also mention to set the brackets perpendicular to the frame. This makes for a neat looking installation but is not the best way to support the load on the brackets. I forced them back at the top so both bolts were resting on the frame and could not move any more while on the road. Once in that position I then marked the set screws positions and did the final assembly in this preloaded position. I realized the need for this from comments of user on other sites that had seen their brackets move after installation.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #204
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
They also mention to set the brackets perpendicular to the frame. This makes for a neat looking installation but is not the best way to support the load on the brackets. I forced them back at the top so both bolts were resting on the frame and could not move any more while on the road. Once in that position I then marked the set screws positions and did the final assembly in this preloaded position. I realized the need for this from comments of user on other sites that had seen their brackets move after installation.
That is the way I installed mine HowieE. I did not drill all the way thru the frame but just got a good indent which let the set screw seat in to.
To get the nuts tight on the bracket bolts, I used my impact wrench with the torque set at over 150. It made getting them tight a lot easier. I checked after I towed and saw no movement.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #205
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
When you measured the "tongue weight" to be 1200#, was the Hensley hanging from the ball?
If so the measured tongue weight (minus Hensley) might have been closer to 1000#.
Also, if you measured the load on the tongue jack, the actual tongue weight might be 5-10% less due to the distance between the ball coupler and the tongue jack.

Maybe you need to get out the bathroom scale again.

Ron
Ron, all the parts of the Hensley were on except the stinger. The weight was taken on the jack. Probably 950 to 1000 lbs tongue weight now would be in the ball park. I think my weighing days are over with the bathroom scales except to see how tubby I am getting! Maybe I could find some 5 to 10% less there!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #206
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I was looking inside my front hitch. Since my frame is upside down. The way MINE works is pretty solid. As it it pulled up the metal lock rides in groves and there is no movement. It is metal on metal the whole time, not air gaps.

I don't think any extra weight or pressure from the Anderson hitch on it will do it any harm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1610.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	161482  

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I see how the wd works. Explain again how the sway control works? Where is the "brake shoe material".
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I see how the wd works. Explain again how the sway control works? Where is the "brake shoe material".
In the sleeve that the ball goes down through. the ball shaft is tapered so the more weight the more friction.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #209
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
It might best be called 'sway resistance'... as it is not an active system. The more expensive Hensley is a 'sway eliminator', while only the cam-driven systems could be considered 'active' as they try return the trailer to straight. E-quilizer hitches are a variety of friction-sway resistance.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #210
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cloudland , Georgia
I recently bought this hitch for our new 27FB International. I have pulled with it on several occasions and have concluded that I like it...a lot. My last trailer was a 1996 34' Classic that I had a Hensley mounted to. We spent 6 months traveling last year and my wife and I got quite proficient at hooking up, but I just wasn't sure it was what I wanted on our new trailer. So, I pulled it "naked" for a while with my 2500 Duramax until I made up my mind what to buy. After researching WD hitches for a while I decided to give this one a try. What a difference! It eliminated the bounce and sway. And, no "lunge" when I have to brake hard. I wish the chains had one more link to give me a few more threads. I had to position the frame mounts back a little to clear everything and it only gives me 3-4 threads showing when tightened. This makes hooking up at an angle a little difficult if the hitch is not turned right in relation to the truck since I don't have as much slack in the chains as I need. Other than that, I really like it.

AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
Closed Thread