Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #2073
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Been gone for a few weeks (I'm so sure you have all missed me ), and I see lots of new posts on the Andersen hitch.

Too bad it seems nothing has changed and the Airstream coupler still won't work with the hitch, the brackets are still slipping if not welded, and it still won't transfer weight adequate for a big trailer.

Wonder if Andersen will redesign in the near future because I still like the idea of the hitch, just wish it would do what it's supposed to do.
__________________

__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #2074
Rivet Master
 
HowieE's Avatar
 
1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,813
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Too bad it seems nothing has changed and the Airstream coupler still won't work with the hitch, the brackets are still slipping if not welded, and it still won't transfer weight adequate for a big trailer.
.
Yes Steve your absence was noticed. During that time no one was misrepresenting the facts quite as well as you do.

Yes there is an ongoing problem with the Atwood coupler. That is not a problem with the hitch. While it would be nice to have all new products full compatable with all older ones that is not always the case. Progress often requires some modifications or replacement of older systems. I trust you remember the 8 track and the fact that it will not play on an I Pod.

Brackets are subject to slippage, but easily secured by several methods other than welding. A second set screw at the top of the brackets or bolts through the brackets each work. None of this would be necessary if Andersen increased the tilt angle of the brackets and they were installed with the bolts preloaded against the frame before marking the location of the set screw.

I must restate that my 34 ft 8,900 lbs trailer is working very well with the Andersen. Something that you may have missed
or refuse to accept.

By the way I just ordered my second Andersen for my daughter's trailer.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 12156 AIR 3144 WACHUNG TAC NJ6
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #2075
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I must restate that my 34 ft 8,900 lbs trailer is working very well with the Andersen. Something that you may have missed
or refuse to accept.
Howie,

No one here doubts you like the hitch as much as you push it, but we do doubt that it actually transfers the tongue weight as it should.

Really, why would we believe it does for you when it doesn't for anyone else with a large heavy trailer?
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #2076
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,138
Images: 33
It might be time that we all just agree to disagree.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #2077
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF
It might be time that we all just agree to disagree.
I can get behind that. :-D
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #2078
Rivet Master

 
1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,651
Blog Entries: 13
Just can't let it go, can you Steve?

It is getting really, really old...

I plan on replacing my aging Straight Line with the Anderson this winter after changing out my rather tired Atwood. I have a 4 ton, 31' Sovereign and I do not have the slightest doubt it will work just fine for me.

Why not get a PP tattoo and start a new thread all about the wonders of that miracle product...

Mike
__________________
n2916s is offline  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #2079
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Been gone for a few weeks (I'm so sure you have all missed me ), and I see lots of new posts on the Andersen hitch.

Too bad it seems nothing has changed and the Airstream coupler still won't work with the hitch, the brackets are still slipping if not welded, and it still won't transfer weight adequate for a big trailer.

Wonder if Andersen will redesign in the near future because I still like the idea of the hitch, just wish it would do what it's supposed to do.
No Steve, not much has changed; the hitch still doesn't work, another user got rid of it (because it broke the latch and uncoupled from his trailer), and a few ardent supporters still verbally attack anyone who questions it.

It would be good for Andersen to redesign the hitch to work out it's many problems, although they are so intrinsic in its nature I wonder if it would ever be suitable for a large trailer.

The "works for me attitude" would also be true of the great towing characteristics of an Airstream with no w.d. hitch, and some who do have reported similar results.

doug k
__________________
dkottum is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #2080
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Yes, it seems it has gotten so bad here now that the "supporters" of the hitch have nothing else to do now than to attack anyone who has any question of it's greatness. Yes, that would be me, and I am an owner of an Andersen, and a user.

There is no perfect hitch at this time that I know of, and not even the ProPride is without issues. I say "that I know of" because I have not tried them all. I actually wish I could try an Equalizer, and some of the others, but it's just not practical. This is the reason I bought my Andersen, this and the fact that I was intrigued by it's revolutionary design.

Maybe we could set up a network on this forum to trade hitches around so everyone could share their hitch and that way everyone could get to try every brand out there while not having to actually go and buy one of every hitch. Lots of logistical problems with this idea, but it could be made to work.

However, I feel sort of sorry for those that blindly get on the bandwagon of a product just because they like the idea of it while closing their eyes to it's faults and limitations which are evident all around them.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #2081
3 Rivet Member

 
1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 201
Doug you have make your point and it is time for you to move on, please.
__________________
ttbikes is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #2082
Rivet Master
 
AWCHIEF's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,138
Images: 33
Howie, who did you buy the new Andersen WD system thru? I am doing some additional trailer shopping and might be needing a new Andersen WD system before long.
__________________
MICHAEL

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #2083
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 9
3,800 miles and still going

I just got finished with about 3,800 miles of camping through Arizona, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Bear Lake (UT), North Rim of Grand Canyon, and the Mogollion Rim forest north of Phoenix. We towed up hill, downhill, rain, snow, windy and calm. I wish I had a little more horsepower however the Anderson performed as I expected, perfect, and I could make slight adjustment as our load changed throughout the trip by adding or removing turn of the nut.

I also noticed that my other travel companions that have more traditional WD hitch setups with bars and such were always hesitant to disconnect once we arrived at camp because a of the pain of setting up again.

I keep looking for the problems reported here but my setup have been working great so far. I will certainly post otherwise should that change.

Happy camping to all!
__________________
2005 Land Rover LR3, 2014 Lance 2185, Anderson WD Hitch
Craiglud is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #2084
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
We just got home from a short trip through New York and New England states. Still happy with the Anderson. This morning I drove through probably the most stressful area that I know of. That is I-95 through southern Ct. and into New York. Narrow lanes, lots of heavy truck traffic, construction ( of course ) and heavy rain, bad roads all added up to make one of the highest stress areas to travel through. Trailer or no trailer. I usually go to great lengths to avoid this route but this time just had to bite the bullet and go for it. Truck and trailer in combination with the Anderson hitch did a fine job. So, still liking it and will be off again in about 2 weeks.
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline  
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #2085
4 Rivet Member
 
Rich of SCal's Avatar
 
2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 438
Images: 2
coupler gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
OK, I am finally ready to tackle the coupler replacement issue. After reviewing several posts on this thread and other places I decided to go with the Quickbite. So I have ordered one. Apparently quickbite no longer has a website, but I was able to locate the 2 5/16" version on Tweety's website.

My understanding from a couple of posts is that the best way to add it is to weld it OVER the old Atwood plate after cutting off the ball area at the front. If I were to strip off the old plate I would need spacing strips to line everything up correctly. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully done it this way.Thanks

p.s. my next door neighbor is a welder and volunteered his services. How great it that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Post 1396 and after will give you my experience with the quickbit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...92131-100.html

it is important that you keep the top plate of the old Atwood to align the jack and hold the frame while working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Thanks Howie! That's what I was looking for. I did do a search and read dozens of post at both ends, but just didn't come to it. This thread needs it's own table of contents. lol.

Those pics and comments will help me and my neighbor immensely.

Now that I have accepted the fact that I have to change the coupler I am looking forward to trying out the quick bite. It comes with the 2 guide rods. I used to use the tennis ball on a car antenna method. Currently I use a cheap wireless camera, but this looks way better. BTW I usually hitch up alone, and prefer it that way.
Well my neighbor cut and ground off the old Atwood this afternoon. We had to redrill the tongue jack bolt hole cutouts on the new quick bite, as they did not quite line up with the atwood holes. But now everything fits well. Monday his boss is bringing the heavy duty welding shop on a truck to my backyard and the welding will commence.

There was more gap between the atwood and the quickbite than I expected. If we had cut off the old atwood completely it would have been huge.

But the quickbite is a nice piece of trailer tech. And now that I see it in person I will definitely feel more secure towing with my Andersen system. And I won't be afraid to tighten it up more for better weigh transfer and handling.

BTW I bought my quickbite from Tweety's rv. It was $22.74 for shipping/handling and arrived in about 3 days. Very pleased with the quick service. Total bill was $160.08. This is the black powder coated version with mostly stainless parts inside, but not the XT model (couldn't find that one anywhere). Looks quality and has a lifetime warranty (life of the trailer).
__________________
Rich of SCal is offline  
Old 07-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #2086
2 Rivet Member
 
2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 70
Detractors

Just ignore these Andersen hitch DETRACTORS especially those heavily invested in the rigid PP or any bar-type hitches. The bar-type hitch unless you're meticulous in weighing your set-up as I am not will cause problems in wear down the road. Andy of Inland has commented on that early on in the PP thread. Rear-end separations, doors not shutting properly and so on and on due to their rigidity from not being perfectly weight balanced regularly.
The Andersen has been such a soft ride a huge difference in my towing life. Guess what, no more weighing, too. After towing for thousands of miles it is the best hitch bar-none for me. BTW, no welding on my brackets either, just flip the inner brackets w/ the set-screws on top opposing the outer bracket screws is holding just like they were welded. The Andersen is the best today and will only get better or unless someone else will topple it. Free market is great.
__________________

__________________
dmand001 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.