Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #2045
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Maybe we should have the 1st annual Anderson Users Rally. In all of my travels I have yet to run across another AH user on the road. This past year, for the first time, I encountered the Hensley hitch. Might of been a ProPride. But whichever one it was it was one of them. I've now seen several more of them but no AH's. I was at the Florida Rally back Feb. and several came over and inquired about mine.

I'm keeping the gloves handy 'cause I just know this will, once again, get heated up.
But we do need a break once and awhile.

See ya'll on the road sometime.

PS: When I disconnect I remove the chains at the bushing and the whole thing comes off and into the truck so NO rust problem on the triangle plate yet.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #2046
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have run across 8 or 9 users of the Andersen WD system. Most seen at WBCCI rallies and at Canopener. Have two local friends that now have and use the Andersen on their SOBs. Both junked their heavy, greasy other brand systems and bought their Andersen WD systems after seeing mine. As far as I know neither have any complaints or issues. In fact just the opposite, both have praised the effectiveness, light weight and easy hook up and take down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #2047
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Interesting thread over on RV net forum right now started by a former andersen user who, to use Michael's words "junked" his andersen in favor of a new Blue Ox.
Now bear in mind I pointed out he "was" an andersen user, therefore it seems to have some relevance in this " andersen users thread ".
Personally I am open to all well thought out opinions.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #2048
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
People should use what ever hitch system that gives the results they personally require. Sounds like he has found a system that meets his tv/trailer requirements.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #2049
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Interesting thread over on RV net forum right now started by a former andersen user who, to use Michael's words "junked" his andersen in favor of a new Blue Ox.
Now bear in mind I pointed out he "was" an andersen user, therefore it seems to have some relevance in this " andersen users thread ".
Personally I am open to all well thought out opinions.
If it is the one that I am thinking of, he is on his fourth hitch with his combination. He is marginally overloaded and needs to move every pound possible off the rear axle, something he said he could not do with the Andersen hitch. I suspect he is right.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #2050
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
I have a positive comment to post this morning.

Just to recap - this hitch has not been easy to deal with for me from day one. The triangular plate would not remove from the hitch head without a mallet and when coupled with my trailer, it would put tremendous pressure on my original Marvel coupler. It would force the latch upward when the tension was set.

Originally, I would lower the tongue onto the ball then raise it back up to set my chains. After tension was set I would lower it back down and that's when my latch would start moving upward. I spoke with Andersen several times and they suggested I tried an alternate way of setting my tension.

This past trip I set the tongue onto the hitch with all the downward pressure on the rear of the TV. I then tightened the chains using the socket and ratchet. I was concerned I wouldn't have enough leverage, but my trailer is light enough that I could easily tighten it in this position. Good news....my latch stayed put!

Now all I have to do is get a few more chain links for the new, shorter triangular plate Andersen sent me and I should be set to go. Psyched!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #2051
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Now bear in mind I pointed out he "was" an andersen user, therefore it seems to have some relevance in this " andersen users thread ".---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
---He is marginally overloaded and needs to move every pound possible off the rear axle, something he said he could not do with the Andersen hitch. I suspect he is right.
No, he is not "marginally overloaded". He is not overloaded at all. His rear axle is 750# under GAWR.

The scales results which he reported are:

GCW = 12,020# vs. GCWR = 15,300#
RGAW = 3,400# vs. RGAWR = 4,150#
FGAW = 3,160# vs. FGAWR = 3,900#
GVW = 6,560# vs. GVWR = 7,000# or 7,200# (wasn't sure which)

Tongue Weight = 800#

FALR = 19% with 3/16" compression
FALR = 50% with 1/2" compression

This former Andersen WD Hitch User logically and rightfully expected he should be able to achieve FALR = 100% considering the hitch is rated for a tongue weight of 1400# -- almost double that of his trailer.

Since he believes that the primary purpose of a WDH is to restore the load which is removed from the front axle, he replaced the Andersen hitch with one which could do the job.

Ron
Old 06-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #2052
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
LOL: Sounds like just another excuse start an argument . Who cares as long his new hitch works for him. His current hitch no longer has any thing to do with this thread.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #2053
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
LOL: Sounds like just another excuse start an argument . Who cares as long his new hitch works for him. His current hitch no longer has any thing to do with this thread.
Well, actually, it is a useful data point in this thread, as there are some people who come to these kinds of threads to help them decide about a given device or product, before they actually buy one.
Being able to read multiple sides of a given story helps folks make decisions that may well be relevant to their situation.

Safe towing to all,
geo
Old 06-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #2054
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
That's right. You can go to RV.net and read all about his issues with several different hitch systems. Standing by to hear what you find fault with this post.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #2055
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Here is where I read that he was marginally overloaded. It really doesn't matter, as he does not want or use an Andersen hitch. Same for many of its detractors.

"Ron - I need to run outside but I believe my GVW was 7000#, so I am still 400# plus under that. Once I add in family and gear I believe I will be slightly over that."
Old 06-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #2056
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
---He is marginally overloaded and needs to move every pound possible off the rear axle, something he said he could not do with the Andersen hitch. I suspect he is right.
Quote:
Here is where I read that he was marginally overloaded.---

"Ron - I need to run outside but I believe my GVW was 7000#, so I am still 400# plus under that. Once I add in family and gear I believe I will be slightly over that."
Yes, he believed he would be overloaded (by 50#) because he tried to compare measured and assumed weights with the "payload" stated on the sticker.

If he had added his assumed 450# for family and gear to the measured GVW of 6560, the sum for the fully loaded TV would have been 7010# versus the GVWR of 7200#.

And, he never needed to "move every pound possible off the rear axle". The measured RGAW of 3400# was 750# less than the RGAWR of 4150#. Rear axle load was not his reason for rejecting the Andersen WDH.

I believe his reason was very well explained in this post: RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: New Andersen WD hitch

Ron
Old 06-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #2057
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
People that want to read RV.net are certainly able to do so. There they will also find what you leave out about the excellent performance the OP and others have had with the Andersen hitch. I see no reason to combine the two forums with your references. This is one thing, that another.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 PM   #2058
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lodi , California
I always appreciate it when someone asks for advice and then reports back with the outcome. Now it is my turn. A couple of weeks ago I asked for advice on welding the brackets, and Howie, Ron Gratz and Craig Ludwig graciously replied. I decided that I would recommend to the welder that a 1/2 inch weld be placed on the bottom leading edge of the outside bracket. Now bear in mind that I have special circumstances--the A-frame tapers from 5" at the trailer cabin to 3" at the coupler. So, it would be very easy for a bracket to slip as compared to a straight frame.

I went to a machine / welding shop that specializes in repair to and fabrication of ag equipment. They also do a lot of work on frames ranging from trailers to big rigs. I explained what I wanted to the manager, and he scoffed at it--he said that would be placing a weld on the weakest part of the frame. I told him to do as he saw fit. On the outside bracket he did 1/2" welds either side of the bolt, both top and bottom, and 2" welds on the leading and trailing edges. Thus a total of 6 welds on the outside bracket, and since it is a C frame, 4 welds on the inner bracket. A total of 20 welds for the brackets.

I think I have just entered to a long-term relationship with my Andersen hitch! Actually, I feel quite good about it. If ever the chain tube wears out, I will have the chain tube cut off and a new one welded on. No more worries about brackets slipping, that's for sure!

Bruce