Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #1989
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes they do, but the ones paid by an auto manufacturer have an agenda, just like a salesman.
You are right, I'm glad that you are suspicious of auto maker claims of performance and safety, we all should be. Past examples of their products have made us that way.(pinto, explorer, bronco, gm pickup's side mounted gas tanks, ...the list goes on). But to Manufacturers defense, they have made great strides in safety and durability in recent years. I believe in American Products.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #1990
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
GM has been in business for over 100 years and its only for the last 1 or 2 years that they've said you can use 50% for some of their trucks under some conditions.

Does that mean GM got it wrong for more than 98-99% of the time they've been in business?

And they still specify 100% elimination of front-end rise for Tahoe/Suburbans and their GM counterparts, including the 2500 models.

Perhaps GW really isn't sure which way it should be?

Ron
Your logic assumes that general technology and material strength technology has not improved or advanced in the last 100 years.
Telegraph vs. Internet. Which one do you prefer?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #1991
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I am not going to try to explain it to you but would suggest you look at any of the scale tickets that have been posted, regardless if they transfer as much weight as some are requesting, and note the trailer axle weight once the WD hitch is applied. No one has or ever will design a mechanism that will transfer 100% of the tongue weight to the TV.
I think there is confusion between transfer to the TV and removal from the TV.

As I said in my previous post, the way you transfer tongue weight to the TV is to place the coupler on the ball and retract the tongue jack.
That simple process will transfer 100% of the tongue weight to the TV. Nobody needs to design a "mechanism" to do it. The "mechanism" is the coupler and ball.

I have looked at and analyzed dozens of scale tickets. On every set of axle weights, when WD is applied, the weight on the TV's axles decreases and the weight on the TT's axles increases.
This means that application of WD causes load to be removed from the TV. It does not mean that WD causes load to be added to the TV.

The TV starts out carrying 100% of the tongue weight, and will end up carrying less than 100% after WD is applied.

Ron
Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #1992
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
Your logic assumes that general technology and material strength technology has not improved or advanced in the last 100 years.
I doubt GM/Chevrolet's partial change of their specifications for WDH adjustment has anything to do with the fact that they've been in business for more than 100 years.

Ron
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #1993
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I doubt GM/Chevrolet's partial change of their specifications for WDH adjustment has anything to do with the fact that they've been in business for more than 100 years.

Ron

Andy
Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #1994
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
The TV starts out carrying 100% of the tongue weight, and will end up carrying less than 100% after WD is applied.

Ron
Now you got it

Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #1995
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Now you got it
A properly rated load equalizing hitch, properly installed, and properly adjusted, will transfer 1/3 of the tongue weight back to the axle/axles, and 2/3 of the tongue weight to the tow vehicle, and when perfectly done, that 2/3 will be placed equally on the 4 wheels of the tow vehicle.

However, this will not apply to what I consider "out of bounds" tow vehicles, such as super heavy duty, dually's and 4 X 4's.

All too many times, tow vehicles are used to tow an Airstream, that could also tow the Queen Mary. And it's usually those that gripe about the rough ride as well as the bad fuel ecomony.

Cars for many years did just fine.

But to some, heavy duty trucks or their equal is the only game in town.

What a waste.

Andy
Old 06-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1996
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Not many reasonably priced sedans capable of towing are available today. That may be a waste, but it was what created a big demand for WD hitches. Modern pickups are front end heavy and built to haul some weight on the rear axle. Distributing 200 pounds to all four wheels is not necessary like it was with Grandpa's Buick.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #1997
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Not many reasonably priced sedans capable of towing are available today. That may be a waste, but it was what created a big demand for WD hitches. Modern pickups are front end heavy and built to haul some weight on the rear axle. Distributing 200 pounds to all four wheels is not necessary like it was with Grandpa's Buick.
The suggestion by one new truck manufacturer that returning their new truck to half it's front unloaded distance measurement does not create a new towing standard, especially if you're looking for optimum handling of the tow vehicle under all conditions.

My experience with the Andersen was like swimming against the current, always something until I no longer trusted it. I worried about its safety. When they decided I needed to cut the coupler off my new Airstream and weld on a new one to use this contraption, that was the last straw. It's gone.

It is a mystery to me why this experimental contraption is recommended to others. Andersen needs to fix it, not us.

doug k
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #1998
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Stockbridge , Georgia
I have been looking at different couplers. The bulldog is longer than most. Also is the atwood that is causing problems a wedge hitch? I see some of the more expensive couplers are wedge models. My airstream is a 72 and no id on what brand of coupler on it. Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #1999
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, still trying to figure out what actual problems you have had with the Andersen WD system. Seems all your concerns are based on issues a few others have posted about. There are many users here and other forums that are very pleased with their Andersen WD systems.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #2000
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
"The suggestion by one new truck manufacturer that returning their new truck to half it's front unloaded distance measurement does not create a new towing standard, ........"

Both Ford and GM have revised their requirements for front axle replacement downward by at least half. They may know as much as you about designing vehicles. The two companies are usually at or near the front with engineering expertise. Are we going to see a "dougmobile soon?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #2001
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A properly rated load equalizing hitch, properly installed, and properly adjusted, will transfer 1/3 of the tongue weight back to the axle/axles, and 2/3 of the tongue weight to the tow vehicle, and when perfectly done, that 2/3 will be placed equally on the 4 wheels of the tow vehicle.
Andy

I am reluctant to state such a defined formula because of the number of variables, truck length, trailer length, truck weight, trailer weight, truck spring ratios.

Yes. The point that several posters here have missed in their bashing of the Andersen is the fact that SOME weight is moved to the trailer when using a WD hitch. There persist is leaving this factor out while stating all forms of Fuzzy math around 100% of weight transferred to the TV in forms of equally fuzzy ratios based on a manufactures manual.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #2002
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
"The suggestion by one new truck manufacturer that returning their new truck to half it's front unloaded distance measurement does not create a new towing standard, ........"

Both Ford and GM have revised their requirements for front axle replacement downward by at least half. They may know as much as you about designing vehicles. The two companies are usually at or near the front with engineering expertise. Are we going to see a "dougmobile soon?
Hi, I'm not going to say you are right or wrong because I don't know; Could you scan a page from an owner's manual, stating this, and post it on this thread?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Closed Thread