Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #1961
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
doug, could you please refresh my memory on what exactly were the the problems that you personally had with the Andersen WD system.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #1962
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
doug, could you please refresh my memory on what exactly were the the problems that you personally had with the Andersen WD system.
What now. It's in this and the other thread among the mockery you have made to anyone posting a doubt or negative comment about the Andersen.

doug k

Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #1963
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Doug,

Keep in mind that Michael tows a 17' Bambi using the Andersen hitch, and like mine with my 17' Casita, probably does a very good job without problems.

It's the later model larger trailers such as yours that have all the issues with the need to replace the factory coupler because it won't stand the load the Andersen applies to it long term, the slipping of the side brackets even though the set screws are into drilled holes in the tongue, and the failure to adequately distribute the tongue weight.

Additionally some users have had the brake material the ball rides in fail, and need replacement in less than a year. A few of the urethane "springs" have failed also.

The Andersen WD hitch is a great concept, but it seems was not thoroughly tested in the real world, and needs lots of "refinements" to become a viable option for the larger, heavier trailers.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #1964
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
doug

Along that line could you please refresh our memory on Sean's comments that lead you to accept his expertize since many of them were removed by the Modes. Your quote from him flies in the face of Andy, from Inland RV, who has had 40+ years of commercial experience and has historically said most RVers use over weight bars and 1,400 lbs sound like it is in that category

You have no reservation of restating the Party Line on the subject of weight distribution so please indulge us on this one as some may not want to go back through this lengthily thread.

Steve

Please keep in mind that my trailer is 34 ft long and a bit heaver that Doug's 25fter

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #1965
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I will no longer attempt a discussion here with certain members because it usually becomes personal to all of us who do, including personal mail insults, if a negative comment is made.

doug k
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #1966
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Doug, talk about calling the kettle black. It apparently is ok for you to slam Andersen on every thread that you get a chance but not ok for any one to praise them or question your motivations for your actions.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #1967
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
---Your quote from {Sean} flies in the face of Andy, from Inland RV, who has had 40+ years of commercial experience and has historically said most RVers use over weight bars and 1,400 lbs sound like it is in that category
First -- from reading posts in AirForums, it is obvious to me that not all Airstream owners agree with Inland Andy's philosophy of WD bar selection.

Second -- I'm guessing that the majority of Sean's hitches are installed on trailers other than Airstreams. So, I don't know why anyone would expect to see Sean following Andy's philosophy.

I think that Sean recommends WD bar ratings on the basis of being able to comply with a TV manufacturer's specification of restoring the front axle to its unloaded weight.

With Sean's hitch, the added length causes the ball to be about 12" farther aft of the TV's rear axle than does a "conventional" hitch.
That means the amount of load initially removed from the TV's front axle might be about 20% greater than that which would result from a conventional hitch with the same tongue weight applied.
And, since Sean's hitch adds roughly 100# to the "tongue weight", the removed load might be up to 30% greater.

So, it's pretty easy to see that Sean's hitch might require 1400# bars when used with a tongue weight that might require only 1000# or 1200# bars with a conventional hitch.
And, if you find you don't need the full load transfer capability of the 1400# bars, it's a simple matter of cranking down the jacks to get less.

Ron
Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #1968
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Ron

You comments about the the PP moving the ball rearward about a foot and the additional weight of the hitch makes good reasoning for the 1,400 lbs bars with that hitch. But in no way should that logic be used when questioning the capicity of the Andersen as some have done.

Thanks for posting that explanation.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #1969
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
First -- from reading posts in AirForums, it is obvious to me that not all Airstream owners agree with Inland Andy's philosophy of WD bar selection.

Ron
I find it interesting that Inland Andy has written many times on this forum that the tongue weight MUST BE DIVIDED BETWEEN BOTH THE FRONT AND REAR axle of the tow vehicle, meaning if the tongue weight is 1000 pounds, 500 must be applied to the front axle, and 500 to the rear axle, and he specifically has said that trucks are not exempt from this. I know Andy T. also subscribes to this, and it is the practice that allows small vehicles to handle more trailer than they are really designed for.

Then when Inland Andy speaks of heavy duty trucks such as 3/4 and 1 ton, and even HD 1/2 tons, that if you have 1000 pounds of tongue weight, you must use 800 or smaller bars.

It seems to me it would take the same size bars to distribute 1000 pounds of tongue weight with a 3/4 ton truck as it does with a minivan, assuming all dimensions are the same such as wheel base and overhang.

Just my opinion on this, but it seems Inland Andy has more than one standard, and if you want to abide by his teachings, which one should you go by?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #1970
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Just my opinion on this, but it seems Inland Andy has more than one standard, and if you want to abide by his teachings, which one should you go by?
Hi, only on the Reese Dual Cam, that he promotes and sells. Maybe we should call Inland and ask his mechanics, Terry or Greg.

I'm sorry, they no longer work there!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #1971
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I find it interesting that Inland Andy has written many times on this forum that the tongue weight MUST BE DIVIDED BETWEEN BOTH THE FRONT AND REAR axle of the tow vehicle, meaning if the tongue weight is 1000 pounds, 500 must be applied to the front axle, and 500 to the rear axle,
You will not the word "Divided" is not followed by the 'Equally". That wold be a mechanical impossibility without the use of I Beams and would not take into consider what portion of the tongue weight went to the trailer axles. I think if you find his comments you will not the the tongue weight is to be divided between the trailer ax;es and the front and rear TV axles. No singe equation could ever be written to cover this because of the infinite combinations of TV weights, trailer weights, trailer lengths, and TV lengths.

I think you are misreading that comment if he ever did state it that way.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #1972
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You will not the word "Divided" is not followed by the 'Equally". That wold be a mechanical impossibility without the use of I Beams and would not take into consider what portion of the tongue weight went to the trailer axles. I think if you find his comments you will not the the tongue weight is to be divided between the trailer ax;es and the front and rear TV axles. No singe equation could ever be written to cover this because of the infinite combinations of TV weights, trailer weights, trailer lengths, and TV lengths.

I think you are misreading that comment if he ever did state it that way.
I simplified it Howie. What he said was the tongue weight must be equally divided between the front and rear axle of the tow vehicle. And in reference to loading on a truck, this is when we got into our first argument.

My point is he has two different standards for wd depending on vehicle.

Andy T. also states equal loading of front and rear axles, and that is why, if you want to go back in this thread to research it, he does not endorse the Andersen....because he can't get his required amount of weight distribution with it.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #1973
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your search capacity is more than likely better than mine and since it is your post I question would you please post either of these individuals posts that support your comment. Not even the current a 5th wheel trailer hitch approaches that ration. This came close.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #1974
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
No, I've seen bumblebees fly.

But fail to understand what else you are trying to say.

Closed Thread