Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #1933
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Howie,
I have a friend who accidentally dropped his tongue jack off a block of wood and did the same type damage to his 34' Airstream.
Lets stop trying to be silly here. Think about it. If a trailer dropped off a block of wood the force, a single event, would be upward against the skin of the trailer. If damage did occur it would result in a folding of the skin above the frame not a shearing off of 50+ rivets and ripping of 12 feet of the inner and outer skin. Some of the material was folded back against itself after the rivets had failed. That is a failure that requires a bit more time than a single drop.

We each have our reasons to post on this tread but we have an obligation not to do it in a manor that insults the intelligence of the readers.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #1934
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Lets stop trying to be silly here. Think about it. If a trailer dropped off a block of wood the force, a single event, would be upward against the skin of the trailer. If damage did occur it would result in a folding of the skin above the frame not a shearing off of 50+ rivets and ripping of 12 feet of the inner and outer skin. Some of the material was folded back against itself after the rivets had failed. That is a failure that requires a bit more time than a single drop.
Yea, that's what my friend thought also, but it did the same type of damage, sheared all the rivets along the lower front of the trailer, all the way back to the door. I saw the damage myself.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #1935
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your friend's thoughts were correct.

This type of damage take a little time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheared .JPG
Views:	55
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	188302  

Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #1936
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yep, looks just like the damage my friend's trailer sustained when it fell off the block.

So, you really don't know for sure how the damage to your trailer happened, do you?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #1937
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
YES I DO.

I just may not have gotten through to you.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #1938
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Well Howie, you've shown us damage your trailer had, and you've theorized it was a result of the Reese hitch.

I have seen similar damage that was a result of an accident.

I'm just saying there are many reasons why a trailer is damaged besides the hitch. As an example, I have towed lots of trailers with lots of different hitches, two of them at different times/different trailers were towed with Reese hitches, and neither of those trailer had any damage like you have shown.

So based on your logic, I have twice as much evidence to prove the Reese hitch does not cause damage to a trailer like you show.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #1939
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I could just as easily theorize a Ford Excursion causes damage to Airstreams because you tow with one and have had damage to your trailer, and I have never towed with one, and have never had any damage to any of my trailers.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #1940
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I have seen similar damage that was a result of an accident.
I think all you can say is that damage was discovered AFTER and event not that it was the result of that event.

We have each made our comments and now it is time for the jury to deliberate. I rest my case.

For those interested in cause and effect thinking I offer this from one of our Leaders.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #1941
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Actually, with the case I have presented, both from my experiences with the Reese hitch and Airstream trailers, and my friend's incident causing similar damage to yours, mine is a much stronger case.

Basically stated, you're trying to build up the Andersen hitch by saying negative things about the Reese hitch when you only have circumstancial evidence to present.

What I'm saying is just because you had damage to your trailer while you were using the Reese hitch, does not mean the damage was caused by the Reese hitch.

Howie, it's becoming very suspicious to may of us the extreme lengths you will go to, to support the Andersen hitch which obviously has problems when used with a larger, late model Airstream.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #1942
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #1943
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiglud View Post
I have recently put about 1,000 miles on my setup towing from Phoenix, Az to Yellowstone. My setup worked perfect for me. Being quick and easy to hook up and easy to adjust.

I have welded my brackets to the frame on the lower front of the bracket with about a 1/2" weld and it has held great and I have not noticed any slippage of the bracket on the top or bottom.

My pre trip weights were 5,300 lbs on the trailer axles with hitch weight measured with a scale at 720#. I did not make two trips through the scales to test the loading of the weight back the the front axles as I would have had a small revolt from my kids however in my previous testing I was returning 50% to the front axles.

With this setup it towed without sway when passing or being passed and I did not get pushed around by the wind. It also did great with controlling the bounce between the trailer and the TV. Actually at the first fuel stop I put another 1/2 turn on each nut because I felt it needed a little more adjustment with the full load we had for this trip and I liked the ride even better.

I still have plenty of room to tighten the nut down on the bushing and am curious exactly how much weight I can restore to the front axle since that seems to be a huge debate with this hitch.

My trailer and TV are still up at my in-laws house at the northern border of Utah and Idaho as I had to fly back for some work . When I get it back home I will play with the hitch setup to see how much weight I can return to the front axles with my setup as I have truck scales just across the street from the RV wash. For me, even if putting a couple more turns on each bolt returned 100% to the front axles I personally would keep it set up the way it is with about 50% return as it has performed the way I want and I do not see a need to move more weight to the front.

Included photo of where my trailer and TV hang out when I'm not with them!
Craig, your overall driving experience was similar to mine, but we had little experience with roadways that were slippery. I did have one near Chicago in the mist last fall, and my steering felt very light, I wrote it off as oil or something on the road, and pulled into a rest area for the night. It was probably insufficient weight distribution with my Andersen hitch.

Towing experts have advised us 50% weight transfer is not enough. You can play around with the Andersen to see what you can do, but it most probably won't be able to do it. Not enough leverage in the design.

Multiple issues with the Andersen caused me to return it for a refund.

doug k
Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #1944
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I want to comment on the "don't get pushed around by semis or side winds" or "Hensley/ProPride killer" statements about the Andersen in this long thread, after my 4,000 miles with Andersen and 2,000 miles with ProPride.

Not true.

If you haven't used a Hensley/ProPride, you will not know what ease of towing can be. The Andersen is no match whatsoever.

doug k
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #1945
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm getting the gloves out. And the popcorn.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #1946
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This is getting better and better. Keep the jokes coming even if to have to repeat them over an over. I am sure that someone has not read your repeated Andersen slams and praise for pp.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Closed Thread