Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #1905
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
That sure is not all I could find to comment on in your post but I was taking you at your word and hope you were gone.

Those of us that are using the Andersen hitch have not gone on the HAHA, PP, or other WD hitch sites to question their short comes, and there are many. If you have used the Andersen and were not satisfied and they other posters have not been able to solve your problem state that as such and move on. You sure as H+++ are not changing my mind and I suspect you will not change that many others considering the overall acceptance of this hitch by those that actually use it.

If there are problems, and some have been noted, they have been addressed. The fact that you may not like the solution should not be a justification to generally badmouth the system in general when the problem may not be a function of the system. but rather is a function of the TV o the Trailer.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #1906
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I was taking you at your word and hope you were gone.
Very nice thing to say about a fellow Andersen hitch user, Howie.

I might just stay around a while now. You probably need some competition here anyway, because it's so obvious you are somehow in the business of trying to sell this hitch.

Someone needs to stay on the thread to actually tell the TRUTH about the Andersen.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #1907
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I might just stay around a while now. You probably need some competition here anyway, because it's so obvious you are somehow in the business of trying to sell this hitch.
Welcome back.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #1908
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I truly love a good pissin' contest. It has brought a small amount of entertainment value back to this thread. Keep it coming.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #1909
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lodi , California
I have decided to have the Andersen brackets tack welded to the A-frame. Please correct me if I am incorrect on this, but I think I read somewhere on this thread that Andersen recommends that a tack weld be located on the upper rear of the bracket. If this is accurate, is this what people are doing? To my non-engineer mind, it makes more sense to have the tack weld in front of the bracket, so that the bracket pushes against the weld rather than trying to pull away from it.

Bruce
Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #1910
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The chain tension will pull the bottom of the bracket forward rotating about the set screw so behind at the top.

I would not suggest welding but rather another set screw at the top or better yet a piece bolted behind the bracket. This way you retain the freedom to adjust everything, by resizing the piece, should that be necessary

Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #1911
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
I love this thread so much, I'm going to buy one of these hitches so I can get into the fray. Everybody loves a good bar fight.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #1912
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
I have decided to have the Andersen brackets tack welded to the A-frame. Please correct me if I am incorrect on this, but I think I read somewhere on this thread that Andersen recommends that a tack weld be located on the upper rear of the bracket. If this is accurate, is this what people are doing? To my non-engineer mind, it makes more sense to have the tack weld in front of the bracket, so that the bracket pushes against the weld rather than trying to pull away from it.

Bruce
Personally, I think welding solves one of the problems with the Andersen, slipping brackets. (At least one Andersen user reported the brackets had slipped and elongated the holes drilled for the set screws.)

However, I chose to weld stop tabs onto the "A" frame of the trailer rather than weld directly to the trailer.

This allows me to easily remove the brackets if I choose, or move them if I choose. I feel that grinding off a welded tab, or stop block if you will, would be much easier than grinding off the bracket, and it will not damage the bracket.

My stop blocks are on the bottom of the frame in front of the bottom bolt, and on the top of the frame behind the top bolt. As a result, I have had no bracket slipping.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #1913
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The chain tension will pull the bottom of the bracket forward rotating about the set screw so behind at the top.

I would not suggest welding but rather another set screw at the top or better yet a piece bolted behind the bracket. This way you retain the freedom to adjust everything, by resizing the piece, should that be necessary
My thoughts exactly and I hope someone mentions this to Andersen.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #1914
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
Bruce, didn't you drill out your set-screw hole and then drill a second hole in the bracket so the two bracket holes aligned with two pre-drilled holes in your A-frame?

If so, where are the two holes located relative to the top and bottom of the A-frame. The optimum positioning of the tack welds will depend on where the bolts are located.

I believe you also installed bronze bushings in the bracket holes. Are the bushings showing wear? Is that why you want to weld the brackets?

Ron
Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #1915
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
This picture is from another user on another forum who just received their Andersen hitch, and it seem they have come out with a different type "brake material" for the ball mount.

Suppose they've been having more failures???? Suppose they will provide current users with the newer brake material sleeve???

I sense this thing is a work in progress and just maybe they didn't do quite the testing that they first indicated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball_housing1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	188283  
Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #1916
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Steve, lots of assumptions in your last post. Do you have any proof to back up your statements?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #1917
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Steve, lots of assumptions in your last post. Do you have any proof to back up your statements?
I said, "Suppose". Yes they are assumptions, but the picture is legitimate posted today by a brand new Andersen customer with a brand new Andersen hitch.

And, we've seen pictures on this forum of brake material that has failed, so????
Old 06-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #1918
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Look here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1305865

Closed Thread