Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #1877
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Find a place which builds or repairs horse trailers. They do it all the time and are fast and reasonable. There are always horse trailer places around.
Good tip. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #1878
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
In the end I torqued the bushings to where their bulged a lot but I couldn't transfer the last 80lbs off my rear axle to stay within spec.

What specs? Are you saying the weight on the rear axle is greater than the TV manufacture has suggested?

Yes it is a fact that you could remove ALL THE WEIGHT off the rear axle if you used an I beam but that is not the design or suggested use for most WD hitches.

Please post the manufactures rear axle load limit, approximate for any load in the rear of the TV, your dry tongue weight, and your scale weight when loaded. It may be that you are just out of range with that combination of loads.

There is something wrong here and I doubt it is with the Andersen considering the size of your trailer.

You should barely see bulge in the bushings if things are set up right. Mine expand less than an 1/8 in. with a 34 ft trailer.

Look at the video on post #1 the bushings and the size of that trailer

Old 05-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #1879
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I replaced the Attwood coupler on our 87 25' Sovereign, only because the Reese straight line was very worn, not because of the Andersen. Then I started reading about the problem here and was glad that I did. I decided on the Quick-bite because of the ease of hook up.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #1880
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Personal Opinion: I think this thread has run its course. Same post being repeated over and over by the same folks –pro and con. Sad thing is someone did try to start a new thread and it instantly took the same turn as this one. There is so much confusing table napkin fuzzy math and misinformation here that new users and those considering the Andersen system get all paranoid about the system and their couplers even when they do not personally have any problems or issues or at the most small issues that can be corrected with proper setup technique. Good luck to all with whatever trailer/TV/WD and anti-sway system you use. As for me I am still a happy Andersen WD system user with the trailer/TV combination that I currently have.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #1881
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
WHAT THE CHIEF SAID

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #1882
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
What the Chief said also, with my 17' Casita.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #1883
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
What specs? Are you saying the weight on the rear axle is greater than the TV manufacture has suggested? YES

Please post the manufactures rear axle load limit, approximate for any load in the rear of the TV, your dry tongue weight, and your scale weight when loaded. It may be that you are just out of range with that combination of loads. From vehicle sticker on door, rear axle 4128lbs. CAT scale reading rear axle, $4200 lbs.
I attached photo's of the Ford Expedition door jam sticker, a photo of the weight tag on the Airstream, and a photo of the CAT scale reading. I also attached photo's of the installation. My first trip across the scale had higher rear axle readings so I added one more revolution to each bushing to get the second reading. I figured 72 lbs overloaded wasn't worth worrying about for the trip home, especially as my wife and dog were getting tired of me fussing with the trailer. I am open to any and all constructive suggestions. Since I now own this hitch I prefer to get it to work. I should add that both the trailer and tow vehicle sit very level.

At some point I'll trade the 2003 Expedition for a newer and more robust tow vehicle which may relieve these concerns, but for now need to take a breather from spending.

-------

As far as killing this thread, that's fine with me, but I see most of you are more senior than I, so maybe it would be helpful and productive for one of you to start a new thread that summarizes knowledge learned here for new people like me to move forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4267.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	186719   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	186720  

Name:	IMG_4273.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	186721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4260.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	186722  

Name:	IMG_4261.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	186723  
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #1884
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
From your pictures, especially the next to last one, it appears that the frame brackets have shifted enough that they are no longer perpendicular. You are losing a little bit of weight distribution since the chains are not in a straight pull. A few percent anyway. If anything, they should be slightly forward at the top, not tilted to the rear.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1885
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Kscherzi,
You may want to check and see if you have not run out of adjusting room by the eye of the chain hitting the stops. I did when I had 9 to 10 threads showing and could not get any more weight to transfer. The fix was to move the brackets back a little so I could get more adjusting room.
Hope that helps,
Joe
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #1886
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
As far as killing this thread, that's fine with me, but I see most of you are more senior than I, so maybe it would be helpful and productive for one of you to start a new thread that summarizes knowledge learned here for new people like me to move forward.
I did a summary a few months ago here, post #6 ...... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1259312
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #1887
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Question Atwood replacement

Quick question, and yes the answer may be buried in these almost 2000 postings, but I am weary of sifting through them over and over again, so please indulge me.

Is there a direct replacement for the dreaded Atwood model that supposedly fails? By direct, I mean the measurements all match so that no modifications need be made...just remove the old and weld on the new. Same tongue jack hole position, triangle size, etc.

One more question: Anyone know why Andersen still doesn't say anything on their site to warn against using the 88000 series Atwood? Are they only warning people AFTER they make their purchase???
Old 05-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #1888
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Corporate lawyers advise their clients not to confess to any problem, lest they be sued later. All a result of our litigious society. What if some hitch from a 1920 farm wagon fails and Andersen didn't mention it might be a problem? I am not saying corporations are always right, but they have been sued by people that did not know that coffee is often hot. Truck manufacturers do not tell us what specific brands of accessories are not compatible with their vehicles either. Same reason.

I hope this and other forums can continue to inform consumers with real data and facts from actual users.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #1889
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
" data and facts"

Yes, something in which this thread has been deficient considering the number of posts. But it has not been deficient in mischaracterization of issues -- or sadly, of those posting -- by some over-zealous owners.

Data = scale tickets

Facts = vehicle manufacturer WD requirements

Some subset of potential TVs for a defined set of A/S TT's may be able to use this hitch. But it will be a small group all around. Data and fact must work together for any & every combined rig.

Examples of what isn't fact or data pertaining to WD is how well the anti-sway works. Of all the TT brands on the road this one is least likely to need it. And is optional to requirement.

Or that one "likes" it. Subjective isn't objective. The latter needs to be able to support the former for the former to have any believability.

There are around a dozen scale-verified set-ups. Only three or four came close to meeting spec.

And, as 2Airishuman used to note, PMs that fly around and can't stand the light of day aren't worth anything. Caveat emptor applies at several levels around this.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #1890
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
You defined everything but "spec". What is your definition of "meeting specs".