Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #1807
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
".....Now when going over a dip, with literally no more cushion left. [bottomed out]....."

We should be seeing a lot of destroyed bushings if driveway dips and bumps are compressing the bushings to the point where they "bottom out". I know that I have crossed some pretty extreme terrain with mine and the bushings still look like new. I agree that it "could" happen if the bushings were already near explosion. There is the possibility of bent triangles too, but we are not hearing of them either. I also agree that our Andersen hitches are first generation and if users like us post real world results there will be upgrades and improvements.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #1808
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
<mod hat on>

Folks, you all know the basic rule here, the one you all agreed to when you signed up:

be nice.

If you have forgotten, have a read of the of the Community Rules, it's right in there.

Please don't force us to show you what happens when you don't obey that rule...

Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #1809
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
The Andersen WDH has a

"• Patented True Motion-Dampening™ system -drastically reduces bounce"

Instead of speculating as to how the urethane bushings damp motion or whether they might cause trailer damage,
why not see what the patent document and/or patent application have to say?

A patent application usually has enough background information about how the object works to convince a patent examiner (probably a mechanical engineer in this case) that the object is novel enough to receive a patent.

I've not been able to find a patent or application number, but perhaps an Andersen WDH owner could get a number from the manufacturer.

Ron
Old 05-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #1810
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
".....Now when going over a dip, with literally no more cushion left. [bottomed out]....."

We should be seeing a lot of destroyed bushings if driveway dips and bumps are compressing the bushings to the point where they "bottom out". I know that I have crossed some pretty extreme terrain with mine and the bushings still look like new. I agree that it "could" happen if the bushings were already near explosion. There is the possibility of bent triangles too, but we are not hearing of them either. I also agree that our Andersen hitches are first generation and if users like us post real world results there will be upgrades and improvements.
Hi, I'm not going to go back through all 130 pages, but I believe that there were a few reports of bushing failures.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #1811
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I'm not going to go back through all 130 pages, but I believe that there were a few reports of bushing failures.
Really, I don't recall any legitimate reports of such. This thread at over 1800 post is starting to repeat itself and seems to have taken on a hint of urban myth.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #1812
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
How do we know that the bushing would actually "fail", as in "fall apart, or explode". Perhaps it will just stop compressing, retain its integrity, and simply have the effect of increasing the load transferred to the trailer tongue/frame/suspension, and of course the same thing happening at the tow vehicle.
I'm not arguing the point that this hitch seems to eliminate porpoising, nor am I alleging that it's supporters are trying to mislead anyone with their comments that it is providing a good subjective towing result for them. I'm just wondering what the forces involved "really" are....and how are those forces being directed ?
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #1813
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The only report of exploding bushings that I am aware of was by Andy at CanAm. But I believe he was testing and took it to the extreme.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #1814
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
gmw, I would recommend that you directly contact Dave Andersen (208) 523-6460 with your questions. All you will get here is opinions - some valid and some not so valid. Dave will spend as much time as you would like on the phone discussing the actual engineering principles of their WD system. Actual users here have reported their experince as they see it. The good and the bad. Other with no experience what so ever with the Andersen system have also give their not so qualified opinions.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #1815
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
The only report of exploding bushings that I am aware of was by Andy at CanAm. But I believe he was testing and took it to the extreme.
I recall Andy's evaluation. The bushings were simply extremely over compressed in his instance. I don't recall Amy mention of any explosion. His just was unable to transfer weight to his satisfaction.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #1816
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If you use air tools and over-compress the bushings before set up I would suspect it would be very hard if not impossible to transfer weight to anyone’s satisfaction. But it does make for some interesting photos.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #1817
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
My gosh, he said we had to "Be nice", not silent. This should be the time of year that people are beginning to use their Andersen hitches. How about some user reports, either good or bad?

I realized that I better follow my own advice. I just did a couple of thousand quiet, clean, smooth miles with the Andersen hitch without a glitch. Really appreciated it when I had to swerve and slam on the brakes to avoid a wreck right in front of me in Missouri.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #1818
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am on my firs leg of an 800 mile round trip to see friends who have a place just outside of Glacier National Park, Jeep, Argosy and Andersen make a very nice towing combination, just like they did last year with the 7000 miles I put on it then. I have the Atwood coupler that is suspect, but after careful consideration and evaluation, I see no issues at this point that I am very concerned about. There is zero wear on what is been called the "shark fin" on the coupler which I replaced last year. Again 7000 miles or so of towing.

The Andersen/Jeep/Argosy setup is smooth, quiet, tracks exceptionally well, and is easy to hook up and unhook, especially due to it's light weight.

I have a 2014 20' Flying Cloud on order and it should be in shortly. Because it has a much more substantial frame (at least 5", but I think 6") I have to use my old Reese to take delivery until I know the exact frame size to order new Andersen brackets. BTW, I was very pleased to see the heavier, deeper frame on the new 20's.

I got the Reese out and did a pre set up for ball height and angle and wow, what a heavy monster compared to the Andersen. But it will give me another experience with a Reese for the tow home of several hundred miles. Then I can be more objective on how the two feel in comparison with each other.

I will post again when I do that reverse switch to the Reese.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #1819
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
For those who are still looking for a better system you might consider this option. It offer more flexibility while driving, meet the standard of weight distribution some are looking for, no massive anchor to work with, and the easiest of all to hook up.

VW Beetle pulls fifth wheel travel trailer - YouTube

Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #1820
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
NOW, I think you might be on to something. I like this. Wonder if it ever caught on.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Closed Thread