Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I see in the picture that the adjusting threads are just coarse threads, not fine and not acme threads. What keeps them from coming loose? Should it have a double nut? Or some way to hold it in place once adjusted.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #170
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Mine is being delivered today. I hope it is the correct one. Says on the tracking it is 56 lbs so it sounds like it should be all there. May not be able to get it on until Sat PM, but will post when I do.

Bob, I am assuming the adjusting nuts have been tested and will stay tight. We will see.
Joe

Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #171
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have detected no movement of the nuts on mine once adjusted.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #172
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I had a similar question while I was installing my hitch. It would seam the nuts are under significant load while the bushings are compressed. That and the lack of any force, vibrational or rotational, directly on them is the reason. F=UN The force required to move an object is equal to the coefficient of friction times the load. In this case the load is quite high while the bushings are compressed.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Well, I am very disappointed right now. I ordered my Andersen hitch and it was to arrive today. At 6PM the UPS truck showed up, and I cheered! The box was small and very light weight
They are in Idaho Falls Idaho. How far is that from you?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Idroba, who did you place your order with, directly with Andersen or a distributor?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #175
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The order screw up is something I am working on and waiting for information right now.

Awchief: I ordered it from an on line place in Portland Oregon, called Hitchsource.com. I stressed so much that I needed a 6" drop shank that it is all they heard I guess, and that shank only was what arrived last night, but the bill is for a full hitch system. I have not called them about it yet, I am waiting on a return call or email from Andersen with the proper part number for the combination I need. (see below)

HowieE: Idaho Falls, where Andersen is located, is about 400 miles from me. People don't realize how tall Idaho is north to south. It is the same height as Oregon and Washington combined. I wish I could just drive there and get it, but that is too costly in time and gas money.

To everyone: If you are ordering an Andersen WD hitch you will need to know the following information in order to get the right one. You will need to do your own research, which I didn't do properly, maybe make a couple of decisions and some web search and then tell whoever you order it from the Andersen part number, as they may not know how to get you the right one. The Andersen has different ordering properties than other hitches.

You need:

Ball size: Choices are 2" and 2 5/16. Only very very old AS's used a 2" ball, most everyone I have encountered has the 2 5/16 ball size.

Trailer frame size: There are hook up brackets for 3-4" frames, 4 3/8" frames, 5-6" frames and 8" frames. You need the correct one.

Drop/Rise shank: You can get the standard 4" drop/rise or a 6" drop rise.

In my case I need a 2 5/16 ball, and a 6" drop shank, but it is unclear which bracket is right for my 4" frame. I have an email and phone call into Andersen on that as I type this, and waiting for a reply. Why do they have a 3 - 4" and a 4 3/8" bracket for the chains to fasten to? Which is best for an exactly 4" frame? The 3/8" possible difference is small, but must be made for some reason.

So, I sit here waiting, unable to get this resolved until Andersen gets back to me, and I can't call the place I ordered it until I have the right information, as they obviously don't understand it either.

And I want to go camping....
Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #176
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
idroba: You can call Andersen direct at 1-800-635-6106 or 208-523-6460. Good chance Dave or his brother will answer the phone. Both are great on the phone and will answer any questions you may have.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #177
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
OK, finally got through to someone at Andersen, and confirmed what I really need (their part number for a 2 5/16 ball, a 6" drop shank and a 3-4 inch frame size, which is 3346).

I then called Hitchsource.com and gave them the information, and explained how I only got the shank, not the hitch.

They are working on the problem and how to get it resolved, and the proper hitch and parts sent to me. I am sure it will be another week, however.

I am hooking up with my old hitch and going camping... yea! Just not with an Andersen hitch this time. (sad).

Again, heads up, if ordering an Andersen WD hitch, have the full information you need on hand and make doubly sure that the place you order from uses it to get you the correct set of parts in the box.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would also add to give Andersen a call first and have them verify just what you need before placing your order. I don't believe that it is possible to place a normal order directly with them. They use a dealer network. I was able to order mine thru them because they had to make mine from scratch due to frame size and chain length. That was the 3 inch bracket that is now a stocking part and the chains for a shorter A-frame length. It still had to be sent to me via a dealer. Funny thing was the return address of the dealer was the same as Andersen with a different company name.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Follow up: I just now received an email from Andrew Porter, a VP at Andersen, and he is working with the folks at Hitchsource.com to get my order straightened out and the right hitch and parts to me.

So, a delay, but I am assuming that in the long run, all will work out right. I can see growing pains with the company and their distribution system. I still like the looks and ideas designed into the product. Lets hope there are no issues there.

To be continued....
Old 06-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Andersen is actually a rather large and well established manufacturing company, just new to the WD hitch scene. Billet machine work has been their bread and butter. Check out some of their other products on the company web page. They also do a lot of custom work for the automotive specialty car folks. Yet they are still small enough to give personal service for any issues a customer may have.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #181
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Installed and road tested

Mine Andersen came in yesterday and I put it on this afternoon. Very simple and straight forward. The directions were all I needed and were easy to understand.
I hooked up to my Chevy 1500. Once installed it was very easy to get dialed in. Wheel well measurements looked good at 7 threads showing.
I took it out on I-75 about 35 miles south for a test ride and a trip to the scales. There was a lot of Friday traffic both going north and southbound and the trailer tracked as well as any I've towed. Passing 18 wheelers caused no problems and any movement felt the same as the movement with my old Hensley. The truck and trailer moved together if there was any movement at all.
The scales showed that weight was distributed up to the front axles.
Chains loosened:
Steer axle 2900 LBS
Drive axle 3460 LB
Chains tightened to 7 threads showing:
Steer axle 3180
Drive axle 3300
I think I will be very pleased with this hitch. Sure is easy to hitch and unhitch with no grease involved. The 200 lbs less weight will give me more cargo if I choose to carry. UPS box said it weighted 56 lbs. I used all the parts so I guess that is what the hitch weighs.
I ordered mine from Radauto.com.
Thanks HowieE and AWCHIEF for posting your results.
Joe
Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #182
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Follow up: I just now received an email from Andrew Porter, a VP at Andersen, and he is working with the folks at Hitchsource.com to get my order straightened out and the right hitch and parts to me.
Well, isn't that surprising! Something we don't hear a lot of these days, the personal involvement by senior management.

Bravo, they care!

Closed Thread