Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #1737
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
I know that there are those that don't believe the engineers at GM and Ford who have revised their requirements for front end restoration by half. Do they think it was easy for them to say that their old requirements were wrong? Pickup truck balance and suspensions have not changed much in forty years, but the manufactures opinion sure has. A typical pickup has plenty of weight to lose on the front axle, at least according to the folks that build them. "If" one needs a hitch to unload an overloaded rear axle, that is another story entirely.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #1738
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rendrag,
I sure don't like the feel of a truck with a lightened front axle on a tour of the country, maybe to bring home a trailer full of gravel for the driveway would be okay. It ought to be a hard sell to say the Andersen weight distributing ability is now okay because a truck really doesn't need that much weight distribution anyway.

AirHeadsRus,
It is interesting that you would be happy with the Andersen after using a Hensley/Propride, an incredible response to me after also using both. My earlier post today explained why I gave up on the Andersen, I have lost faith in its safety and the company is ignoring the issues for us that already have it. Could you explain why you gave up on the Hensley, giving specifics.

Please know that I am trying to further this discussion on the Andersen, its potential safety issues as well as its benefits.

doug k

Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #1739
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
dkottum,
What kind of tow vehicle do you have?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1740
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Rendrag,
I sure don't like the feel of a truck with a lightened front axle on a tour of the country, maybe to bring home a trailer full of gravel for the driveway would be okay. It ought to be a hard sell to say the Andersen weight distributing ability is now okay because a truck really doesn't need that much weight distribution anyway.

AirHeadsRus,
My earlier post today explained why I gave up on the Andersen, I have lost faith in its safety and the company is ignoring the issues for us that already have it. Could you explain why you gave up on the Hensley, giving specifics.

Please know that I am trying to further this discussion on the Andersen, its potential safety issues as well as its benefits.

doug k
Doug,
You ran into issues and lost faith. I ran into the same issues with the Andersen and fixed them myself. I did not give up on Hensley. It broke and I chose another hitch that fits my needs better. Less weight, no bounce, no grease, no bars and no Hensley bump in the mountains.
Joe
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #1741
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Joe
Thanks for the response, a broken Hensley is certainly a good reason to get another hitch.

I agree with your statements on the Andersen here, but have serious other concerns of my own about it, which I have described. I just finished 2,000 miles with the Propride, including lots of mountains, with never a "Hensley bump" (I was looking for it).

doug k
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #1742
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble On View Post
dkottum,
What kind of tow vehicle do you have?
2012 Dodge Ram Express 5.7 reg cab 4x4 with 120" wheelbase, towing package. I also used the Andersen on my 2006 Tundra.

I use the bed of the truck for two light bicycles and trailer external hookup stuff. My bride and I have traveled all over the country with our Airstream, what a hoot!

Why?

doug k
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #1743
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
doug k

Maybe if you ask nicely Joe will post a picture of his failed HaHa and comment on HaHa's response when asked for help.

I think I ask you this before but if not are you interested in selling your Andersen? There are a few unhappy RVers here that would like to be happy.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #1744
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
2012 Dodge Ram Express 5.7 reg cab 4x4 with 120" wheelbase, towing package. I also used the Andersen on my 2006 Tundra.

I use the bed of the truck for two light bicycles and trailer external hookup stuff. My bride and I have traveled all over the country with our Airstream, what a hoot!

Why?

doug k
I am really new to this and I am trying to get grasp on whether I want to change out my hitch. I currently have a reese and I am looking for alternatives. The PP3 and hensley are expensive and are heavy, although I understand that they do an outstanding job. The Andersen seems to be a fit for me because of the simplicity and lower weight. To answer your question as to "Why?", I want to confirm that you were towing with a comparable tow vehicle and trailer. I don't mean to sound condescending, but my tow vehicle is a little more robust than your Dodge. My last truck was a Dodge that I drove for over 11 years and it was the best truck I ever owned. The jury is out on my new F 150. but it's has great towing and payload capacity for a 1/2 ton and that's why I choose it. Time will tell.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #1745
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ramble On, the Andersen is not compatible with the coupler on your Airstream. You can add to the expense of the Andersen cutting off and putting on a different coupler.

Andersen is not forthcoming about this and that bothers me. They continue to sell these hitches without a warning in advance, or notifying people who already have them the hitch could break the coupler latch and come loose from the tow vehicle.

Then there is the issue of inadequate weight distribution.

My other beef with Andersen is the great stress that the design places on its mounting brackets, and their subsequent movement. I thought I had solved this by drilling the mounting hardware into my frame, but after removing it discovered the holes had become elongated from the pressure. I don't believe the mounting hardware is adequate as designed.

Although the Andersen is an ingenious design, I don't think it is fully thought out and tested. We are doing the testing; my impression is that it needs to go back to engineering for development. Hooking it to a standard Airstream coupler is dangerous, you could loose the trailer as it wears out the coupler latch.

doug k
Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #1746
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
This is getting to be a really old read. Obviously people have made up their minds in both directions when it comes to the Andersen.
I don't believe that any WD hitch can compensate for poor driving habits. But it can sure mask them. And it won't compensate for driving too fast or in poor weather conditions, be it slick roads or heavy winds. It just provides a false sense of security. "Oh! I have WD so I can drive faster."
I also have to ask where the physics lies. Placing tension on the frame of the TV, the receiver hitch mechanism and the trailer frame. If you can transfer weight from the rear axle to the front axle. Then it is possible to transfer too much weight making the rear axle unstable. Anyone knows that a pickup truck with no weight in the bed has lousy traction characteristics. Lousy traction equates to lousy handling. Whether it be front or rear axle stability.
But I don't see the Andy's of the A$ world commenting on the possibility that a WD system when not set up properly can be just as much or maybe more of a risk than not having one at all.
I also don't see anyone going after A$ about the lousy Atwood coupler design they are installing on these very expensive trailers. No one here could talk long enough to convince me the the force applied by the Andersen hitch could even come close to the forces applied to the coupler when the TV has brakes and the trailer doesn't. Any coupler design should be able and expected to handle these forces.
You never know when you won't have brakes on your trailer. Something as simple as a broken wire or corroded connection could cause you to lose the brakes. If the sheared "fin" as it is now known can cause the trailer to come uncoupled. Why are we not hammering on Atwood about their design? One situation of no or poor brakes on the trailer and the requirement to stop suddenly and you may shear the fin unknowingly. And the coupler could lift off of the ball.
I know there will be those who will say "you shouldn't be towing a trailer without brakes". I say " you should be driving all the time like your trailer doesn't have brakes"
I'm sure this thread will continue on for another 117 pages. And a year from now there won't be any difference in what is being written.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #1747
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I think Doug is right when he says Anderson had not done the proper testing on this hitch before introducing them. My first complaint was with the goofy stinger. Adjustable with 1.5 inches between holes but flip it and there is a 3 inch gap which I and other posters reported had to cut and weld to fix. Then the obvious poor design to hold the brackets to the trailer which will slip in nearly every case. And now the Atwood incompatibility which I am faced with.. Well I am doing nothing this year as I am not taking any big trips and so far I see nothing on my coupler to be alarmed by, but it's a ticking bomb and I know it. So those of you with QB couplers keep posting as to your experiences. I will have to decide before next year what I will do.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #1748
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
............so far I see nothing on my coupler to be alarmed by, but it's a ticking bomb and I know it. So those of you with QB couplers keep posting as to your experiences. I will have to decide before next year what I will do.
"ticking bomb"? Aren't we getting a little dramatic? I have only read of one failure of an old worn out coupler which did not result in any serious damage.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #1749
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
It is , of course, my opinion, just as yours is yours. But it is likely to fail , in my opinion, because of the reports of issues posted here. These issues might be caught in time. It is a problem that Anderson recognizes or they wouldn't cover their butts with the warning about the Atwood. I am most interested in better couplers that will work with this hitch which is why I ask for continued reports. If you look at earlier posts on this thread, you will see concerns right from the beginning about the integrity of some couplers to handle this type of hitch. At least one has come uncoupled. What do you suggest?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #1750
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quick Bite or Bulldog. They seem to be the most robust couplers out there. Not cheap, but neither is the TV or coach.