Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thnxs for the update Doug.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #1710
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
doug k

Do you want to sell the Andersen and if so send me a PM with the head drop and the channel size?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #1711
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
doug k

Do you want to sell the Andersen and if so send me a PM with the head drop and the channel size?
Hi Howie, if I had a really small trailer such as a Casita, I would use the Andersen on it, but I don't have a use for it.

I bought it with the understanding it was usable on my Airstream, and now Andersen has apparently decided it is not, even though they have not told me. I learned that here.

For this reason Andersen should be offering a refund to those of us who bought it and later found it is incompatible with our trailers. I'm on the road right now but when home I'll ask for the refund and will then return the hitch.

If they will not offer a refund I will let other trailer owners know about the character of the company. Perhaps others who have bought it and cannot use it will do something to recoup their loss as well.

doug k
Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #1712
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I'm under the impression that certain Atwood couplers are asserted to be incompatible, not Airstreams in general. Did I miss something?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #1713
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I'm under the impression that certain Atwood couplers are asserted to be incompatible, not Airstreams in general. Did I miss something?
Apparently some older Airstreams have compatible couplers, I don't know and Andersen has not advised me. I learned mine was not compatible on this forum where the incompatible couplers were revealed.

doug k
Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #1714
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Howie, I've got 4,000 miles with the Andersen now and am extremely happy with the way it performs. But with a long trip coming very soon, and another this summer, I just can't see cutting off the incompatible Atwood coupler to install another style, not being completely sure it will work in the long run either.
doug k
Doug

I would ask you to refrain form your negitive comments with respect to the Andersen until you have a similar history with your current hitch. You may recognize some of the problems with it that have been noted here. You recognized the superior results with the Andersen over your older hitch only to now discount it based on problems that have been noted by others with the Atwood coupler.

As one of those who brought this issue to the thread and having some knowledge as to what caused the problem I think I can safely say it was not an eminent problem for you given your smaller trailer.

Problems of product compatibility presented with new and superior products are not uncommon through out industrial history. Just look at the warning labels on your proscriptions and and those with the binders on your ski boots.

Yes there is a problem with the Atwood coupling when using an Andersen hitch. But to ask for a refund after 4,000 miles without any individual evidence of an issue might be a bit premature.

I had a problem, my Atwood failed while on the road. Recognizing the superior performance of the Andersen I researched a solution and choose to install a QB coupling and retain that performance with my larger trailer. You have chosen to take another direction and again I would ask you to wait until you have equal experience with that chose before claiming victory and are "completely sure it will work in the long run".

Old 04-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #1715
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have both an Andersen hitch and a ProPride hitch. As most of you know, I use the Andersen on a 17' Casita (about the weight and size of a 17' Airstream). I have about 4000 miles towing experience with the Andersen. I love the way it works.

I have a ProPride hitch in use with my 31' Airstream, and have used it with a 25' Airstream, and a 28' Airstream before this current trailer. I have in excess of 50, 000 miles towing experience with the ProPride. I really love the way it works.

Even if there were no issues with the Andersen and Airstream coupler, I would not be wanting to get rid of the Propride for an Andersen with this trailer.

With my experience with the two hitches, I feel the ProPride is too big and heavy for use with a small trailer. I also feel the Andersen puts too much pressure on the coupler of a heavy tongue trailer in a direction which the coupler was not designed to withstand in order to achieve required weight distribution, no matter the design or manufacturer of the coupler.

These are my opinions formed from experience with these two hitches.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #1716
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is quite strange given the fact that with only a small number of Airstream owners use ProPride but yet they are so defending the ProPride. This while we hearing nothing from the greater number of HaHa owners. Could there be some origination at work now that commercial members have been curtailed in their comments.

If you are using or have changed to another hitch all well and good. You comments would better serve that community and best be posted to a forum topic relating to that hitch. Those of us that are using Andersen are commenting positively and negatively here with the intent of improving the results Andersen users get, not to redirect them. Every product ever made has had some growth and or acceptance issues. During that time the Professional Ad Media will battle it out in the bigger public forum. The intent of this tread was to advise users and potential users on how to get the most out of the Andersen hitch not sell another product.

We have noted issues, advised both the public and Andersen of them, and have seen reactions in the form of designs from Andersen that have been much faster in coming than most companies would have provided.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #1717
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Howie,

I am not the first ProPride hitch user to mention same on this thread. Additionally, even you in your first post on this thread compared the Andersen to the Reese hitch you had used in the past, so if mentioning other hitches on this thread is against some law, you were the first to break said law.

I am not an employee of ANY hitch manufacturer, have used Easylift, Reese, Curt, ProPride, and now Andersen hitches in my towing "carrier", have been towing travel trailers and using these types of products since 1971. I feel I have sufficient experience to make comments about them. If you want only positive statements about Andersen and Andersen only, just say so and many of us will stop posting on this thread.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #1718
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
I have been a long time user of Reese Products. Both original Dual Cam and the Straight Line systems. I have installed this type of hitch on trailers with surge brakes, something the both the Reese and the manufacture of the surge brakes told me could not be done. I have written here extensively about setting up WD hitches. And I have advised Reese on several problems with there products ranging from the placement of the oil holes on the newer heads not allowing oil to reach the front face of the trunnions to the reason for failure of the yokes of the Straight Line while making a turn.

Now I have discovered what I think is a better system and would like to open a discussion with others that may be using the new Andersen WD Hitch.

I installed this system and have used it on 2 trips. First impressions are, it works, completely controls sway, eliminates porpoising, is completely silent, take less than 30 seconds to hitch up, and cost a fraction of the competition.

If you are using this new system please share your comments here.
For a You Tube of this system
Andersen Hitches Weight Distribution Hitch with ground-breaking Anti-Sway, Anti-Bounce - YouTube

SteveH

Thanks for redirecting readers to the original intent of this tread. I hope those that comment in the future will do so in line with the closing statement of that post. Those comments need not be limited to positive ones, but also should not be advertisement for others.

My comments regarding other types of hitches note what I was changing from after seeing advantages to the Andersen. I did not go on a Reese thread and attempt to sell another product. I had hoped posters here would post constructive comments for those using or considering using an Andersen

Old 04-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #1719
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I've been following this thread for quite a while as part of the process of deciding which hitch to buy. I think, despite some possible problems with the Andersen, you've convinced me that it may be the best choice for me. However, I'd really like to see one in person before ordering. I'm planning on being at the Vintage Trailer Academy in Albuquerque the first part of May. Will any of you folks with the Andersen be there as well? If so, I'd like to take a look at your set-up.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #1720
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Doug

I would ask you to refrain form your negitive comments with respect to the Andersen until you have a similar history with your current hitch. You may recognize some of the problems with it that have been noted here. You recognized the superior results with the Andersen over your older hitch only to now discount it based on problems that have been noted by others with the Atwood coupler.

As one of those who brought this issue to the thread and having some knowledge as to what caused the problem I think I can safely say it was not an eminent problem for you given your smaller trailer.

Problems of product compatibility presented with new and superior products are not uncommon through out industrial history. Just look at the warning labels on your proscriptions and and those with the binders on your ski boots.

Yes there is a problem with the Atwood coupling when using an Andersen hitch. But to ask for a refund after 4,000 miles without any individual evidence of an issue might be a bit premature.

I had a problem, my Atwood failed while on the road. Recognizing the superior performance of the Andersen I researched a solution and choose to install a QB coupling and retain that performance with my larger trailer. You have chosen to take another direction and again I would ask you to wait until you have equal experience with that chose before claiming victory and are "completely sure it will work in the long run".
Howie, it's an Andersen Users Thread. I have made positive comments about its sway resistance, anti-bounce characteristics, and how this was superior to my Equal-I-zer.

But this is all negated (for me) by the fact that Andersen is now advising new purchasers of certain Atwood couplers (the coupler on all late model Airstreams I believe) that it may wear the latch and become uncoupled from the ball. That is an extremely dangerous condition.

I was not advised of this when I bought the hitch, therefore I am asking for a refund. I also am concerned this reveals the hitch was not thoroughly engineered before it was brought to market. I think the hitch is indeed revolutionary in design, and further development may make it a standard for friction-type sway control hitches.

But even limited experience with the Propride/Hensley design clearly shows the Andersen is not in this league, having used both. (Nor is an Equal-I-zer which is also not in the Propride/Hensley league, having used it as well.)

You mentioned: "As one of those who brought this issue to the thread and having some knowledge as to what caused the problem I think I can safely say it was not an eminent problem for you given your smaller trailer." The fact is my 2012 25' Flying Cloud is no small trailer; a quick look at specs show the weight to be only 1000# lighter than your Excella, and the tongue weight is actually heavier. For me that does indeed make it an imminent problem.

I have made every effort to be sincere and honest about my experience as a user of the Andersen, I like the revolutionary design a lot as friction sway control hitches go, but have the sense that it is not thoroughly engineered for safety in event a component fails.

doug k
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #1721
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
IIf you are using this new system please share your comments here.
Yea, Howie,

Since I am a user of the Andersen hitch, I have shared my comments above, and compared the hitch's performance with other hitches of which I have experience.

In my mind comparing product's performance is what these forums are all about, but you must not think so.

In the remote chance I have other comments to share about the Andersen, and only the Andersen, I will post those comments here.

By the way, are you compensated in any way by Andersen Hitch Co.?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #1722
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Howie:
I don't like thread jackers either, but I thought SteveH's comments were fair and actually helpful to me as a new Andersen adopter. I have the Sport 16, and just got most of the wrinkles ironed out from my installation (including destroying and replacing my umbilical in the process), just to hear about all these issues with the Atwood I apparently have. ANDERSEN HAS NOT IN ANY WAY NOTIFIED ME OF THIS ISSUE OR TO NOT USE IT WITH MY ATWOOD COUPLER!
So as I hesitantly have decided to keep using it, SteveH's comments were comforting to me. I especially thought his statement useful about the weight of the PP being not ideal for a small trailer. My situation exactly. In fact my previous Reese dual cam is cumbersome and heavy. That was the main reason I went with the Andersen.
So, as long as the comments are helpful to an Andersen user, I don't see why he should be censored. (There are others, I agree, who went way too far in their comparisons.)