Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #2381
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
What is pertinent is that you own and favor another brand of hitch. I also noticed that your tow vehicle is not a pickup truck. Thanks for doing our thinking for us, although most of us can figure these things out ourselves.
I have no hitch brand loyalty, but you'll have to take my word for that. My hitch set up works for me but I know there are other hitches out there that will do a similar or better job than the one I use and would swap if I thought there was any advantage in my doing so.

It's precisely because I don't have a pick-up truck that I can't even consider the Andersen hitch; it simply will not transfer sufficient load forward for my rear axle to stay within its limits. I'm not distraught about that as I don't think the Andersen design offers enough improvement over the more traditional systems. It also comes with a couple of other drawbacks that would, for me at least, outweigh (no pun intended) any advantage it might offer over my current arrangement.

I'm a bit piqued, as you may be able to tell, that users of the Andersen continue to post here about its perceived benefits but refuse to countenance any contrary view. I'm even more piqued that those of us who won't, or indeed can't, use the Andersen are portrayed as deniers of progress, Luddites who don't know a good thing when they see one.

I believe that presenting the contrary view is essential for healthy debate and I'm grateful that this Forum offers me the chance to do just that.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 11-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #2382
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I have no hitch brand loyalty, but you'll have to take my word for that....snip....
Oh, come on now. The hitch you like is prominently displayed in a picture on the front page of your blog. Enough said on that matter.

It is great to hear from people that don't like the Andersen hitch. It is even better to hear successes and failures from people that who have actually used one. Thus, the name of this thread.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #2383
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
I have read this thread on and off, posted on it and finally purchased an Andersen hitch. By way of background I've towed race car trailers all over the east from N.C. to MN and down to GA. We've lived here in AK for 20 years and towed 6000 #cargo trailers from MI to AK several times. I'.e had a toyhauler trailer that weighed 10000 loaded and towed it from AK to the AZ and back. Now we have the EB and towed from TX to AK. I have a need for a truck that will haul over 2000# in the bed for other reasons than towing, which is why I have the Dodge 3500. I don't claim to be any kind of expert but can say the Airstream isn't my first trailer. I do say that I'm pleased with the Andersen, for the reasons that many have stated and have no intention of trying any other hitch.
I'll also comment that while the ability to have pro and cons presented on threads like this are very important, so prospective users can make their own judgements, only those by actual users hold water, be they on the pro or con side. Those that haven't used the product are just repeating opinions expressed by others and just make me wonder about their motivation.

I'm sure someone can find fault with something I've said so go for it. However count me as a satisfied Andersen user.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #2384
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
You do not need to own one to voice an opinion on here and most hold just as much or more water than those that own the hitch.
I have stated this on here before and will say it again, the Andersen is a great hitch for those that can use it. I would really like to use one IF it could do what the bar ones do. I have an SUV and hitch weight transfer IS a BIG factor. I need to be able to transfer that hitch weight not just forward, but back to the trailer to keep it OFF of the SUV. The 1/3 transfer weight that a bar w/d set-up to front, rear axle and trailer axles is VERY important in my needs. I would think most any SUV and 1500 pick up truck would be in this category if using a trailer that has 850 to 1200 lbs. tongue weight.
AIR #30685
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #2385
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
You do not need to own one to voice an opinion on here and most hold just as much or more water than those that own the hitch.
I have stated this on here before and will say it again, the Andersen is a great hitch for those that can use it. I would really like to use one IF it could do what the bar ones do. I have an SUV and hitch weight transfer IS a BIG factor. I need to be able to transfer that hitch weight not just forward, but back to the trailer to keep it OFF of the SUV. The 1/3 transfer weight that a bar w/d set-up to front, rear axle and trailer axles is VERY important in my needs. I would think most any SUV and 1500 pick up truck would be in this category if using a trailer that has 850 to 1200 lbs. tongue weight.
Thank you for accepting and posting a rational evaluation of the limits of the Andersen system rather than just standing back and hurling stones at it to promote another brand.

You are correct there are rig combinations that it can not be used with. Your SUV and MrUKToad's TV are clear examples of that. That said the system remains a clear advancement to the greater number of current combinations and those using such combination should have access to such information.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #2386
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi there Rick. Did you make the coupler change on your Airstream ???? I have a Quickbite coupler yet to be installed. I've had no issues with my factory installed coupler but like the design of the QB and hope not to be disappointed in it's one limitation ( at least the only one I see ). That limitation is difficulty in coupling / uncoupling while at an angle to the trailer. I'm still planning to install and work with it just haven't gotten around to it yet. Hope to before planning a trip south in Feb.

Glad you are a satisfied AH user, I am also. I too have a Dodge 3500 and have never felt the need for external sway control when using another hitch but I do find the AH to meet my expectations and needs.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #2387
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hi there Rick. Did you make the coupler change on your Airstream ???? I have a Quickbite coupler yet to be installed. I've had no issues with my factory installed coupler but like the design of the QB and hope not to be disappointed in it's one limitation ( at least the only one I see ). That limitation is difficulty in coupling / uncoupling while at an angle to the trailer. I'm still planning to install and work with it just haven't gotten around to it yet. Hope to before planning a trip south in Feb.

Glad you are a satisfied AH user, I am also. I too have a Dodge 3500 and have never felt the need for external sway control when using another hitch but I do find the AH to meet my expectations and needs.
For those who may have some hesitation about the QB coupler, I wonder if any have tried the bulldog coupler. Very common on horse trailers, I will say I have been pleased with them for many years.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #2388
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post

I did not yet change the coupler. I modified the latch and fin to use a 3/8 pin so the latch stays tight against the fin. No sign of wear in 2000 miles. I will probably change couplers before spring but don't think it will be a Quickbite due to the angle issue. Of the various combinations I've towed only one needed sway control, a old C30 and the cargo trailer. Dodge fine w/o but I seem to have a nice solid feel with the Andersen.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
Old 11-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #2389
1 Rivet Member

Princeton , Minnesota
Quote:
I have no hitch brand loyalty, but you'll have to take my word for that. My hitch set up works for me but I know there are other hitches out there that will do a similar or better job than the one I use and would swap if I thought there was any advantage in my doing so.

It's precisely because I don't have a pick-up truck that I can't even consider the Andersen hitch; it simply will not transfer sufficient load forward for my rear axle to stay within its limits. I'm not distraught about that as I don't think the Andersen design offers enough improvement over the more traditional systems. It also comes with a couple of other drawbacks that would, for me at least, outweigh (no pun intended) any advantage it might offer over my current arrangement.

I'm a bit piqued, as you may be able to tell, that users of the Andersen continue to post here about its perceived benefits but refuse to countenance any contrary view. I'm even more piqued that those of us who won't, or indeed can't, use the Andersen are portrayed as deniers of progress, Luddites who don't know a good thing when they see one.

I believe that presenting the contrary view is essential for healthy debate and I'm grateful that this Forum offers me the chance to do just that.
About a year ago I started to post some concerns on the ability of Andersen to distribute weight. I was told that I was not properly adjusting the hitch or that it was not possible for the andersen to not distribute weight.

My conclusions came after a couple of stops at a cat scale. My unloaded rear axle weight was around 4,400lbs. With my 31' TT with a TW of 1,150-1,200 lbs, my rear axle had 5,900 lbs of weight on it. Although measurements at the wheel wells showed that I was close to my unhitched measurements, the scale showed the measurements may not tell the whole story.
I tried everything I could to make the Andersen work, as it's antisway was phenomenal, however, I also needed weight distribution, and the Andersen was not capable of doing this with my setup.

I also would question those who say the Andersen only has issues with "loose or weak" springed vehicles. I have a 2003 Excursion. Although the "X" may have been given weaker springs than the F-250's, I added a Road Master Active Suspension, which I was told would increase the spring capacity by at least 1,500 lbs per side. The Andersen was still not able to distribute the weight.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #2390
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Where is the problem? I have been reading and commenting on this thread also and came to the conclusion that if it's not the size of the TV, suspension, type of hitch (Andersen, Equlizer, PP or HaHa), the tongue weight or size of TT; it must be the Asphalt.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #2391
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Oh, come on now. The hitch you like is prominently displayed in a picture on the front page of your blog. Enough said on that matter.
As you wish, Rendrag, but I think you see subterfuge where it doesn't exist.

I trust that you see the irony of suggesting that a specific brand of hitch is being shamelessly plugged, in this of all threads.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #2392
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Where is the problem? I have been reading and commenting on this thread also and came to the conclusion that if it's not the size of the TV, suspension, type of hitch (Andersen, Equlizer, PP or HaHa), the tongue weight or size of TT; it must be the Asphalt.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
As with many experiments that have very close tolerances the problem is in the Noise and thus the data has no value.

Sorry I could not resist either.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #2393
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad View Post
My conclusions came after a couple of stops at a cat scale. My unloaded rear axle weight was around 4,400lbs. With my 31' TT with a TW of 1,150-1,200 lbs, my rear axle had 5,900 lbs of weight on it. Although measurements at the wheel wells showed that I was close to my unhitched measurements, the scale showed the measurements may not tell the whole story.
May I ask if you know what brought your real axle weight up by 1,700 lbs when you hitched your 1,200 lbs trailer?

My 2004 Excursion has a dry real axle weight of 4,200 lbs, a loaded weight (without WD hitch) of 5,120, and a loaded weight (with WD hitch) of 5,000 lbs. While I have not weighed my tongue weight alone that, 800lbs, appears to be in what I would expect. Can you account for the extra weight?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #2394
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

May I ask if you know what brought your real axle weight up by 1,700 lbs when you hitched your 1,200 lbs trailer? Snip...
Can you account for the extra weight?
Actually I think it was 1500 lbs not 1700 but it still is way off.

I wonder about the possibility of standing on the platform vs being in the TV. I did that once and Ron G guessed my weight like a circus performer within the 20 lb tolerance of the scales :-)
Old 11-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #2395
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
As you wish, Rendrag, but I think you see subterfuge where it doesn't exist.

I do wonder what motivates people who have never, and will never, own an Andersen hitch, to post on the Andersen Users thread that they don't like it, and would never buy one. Do they really think we are not able to realize what is advertising (my truck can tow a freight train) and what is fact? Thankfully, there are plenty of actual reports of the Andersen's strengths and weaknesses.

I am sure that many will agree that it is time for me to take my own advice and quit posting if I don't have something to report about the hitch. I am parked for a while, so don't have anything to add at this time.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #2396
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I read on another thread that someone is having problems with their propride. Using the logic of some here I have no choice but to assume that the propride has insurmountable issues and that it is totally unsafe with any trailer and is a hazard to every other vehicle on the highway.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #2397
1 Rivet Member

Princeton , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
May I ask if you know what brought your real axle weight up by 1,700 lbs when you hitched your 1,200 lbs trailer?

My 2004 Excursion has a dry real axle weight of 4,200 lbs, a loaded weight (without WD hitch) of 5,120, and a loaded weight (with WD hitch) of 5,000 lbs. While I have not weighed my tongue weight alone that, 800lbs, appears to be in what I would expect. Can you account for the extra weight?
Some of the weight may have been a full fuel tank. I'm guessing some came from the front axle. If weight comes off the front, I'm guessing it has to go somewhere. I had asked the same question on RV.net. wondered how I could gain more weight than my tongue. Ron helped explain it.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #2398
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Now you're really pushing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I read on another thread that someone is having problems with their propride. Using the logic of some here I have no choice but to assume that the propride has insurmountable issues and that it is totally unsafe with any trailer and is a hazard to every other vehicle on the highway.
Hi, the recent post about the Propride was about an unhitching problem; You really pushed that one.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 11-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #2399
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the recent post about the Propride was about an unhitching problem; You really pushed that one.
No more so than certain detractors here do over and over again.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #2400
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Corsicana , Texas
Ecoboost - Anderson- Safari

I love this thread although I can't possibly read it all.

My TV is a 2011 F150 Ecoboost with max tow package, 1760 lb payload. 2WD, 157 inch wheelbase. I have Yokohama Parada tires rated at 2,833 lbs each. My TT is a 2007 Safari 25FB. 830 lbs tongue weight and about 700 lbs of passengers and stuff in the truck bed. Anderson hitch. 88010 coupler.

I have traveled about 12,000 miles with this rig. No problems. The truck sets up within 3/4 inch of being level. The trailer is level. Pulls like a dream. I have practiced emergency braking and all is good. Steering seems no different than when unhitched.

I have not been on the scales, seems unnecessary to know all that.

The Anderson works great for my setup. Love the light weight, ease of hitching, and the reasonable cost.