Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I opened this tread as an "Andersen Users Thread" not an Andersen sales forum. While some of mine and other comments may be construed as promotional or negative I would hope they are results of actual experiences and a direct sales effort.

If you have an Andersen are considering an Andersen or have something relevant to the thread please present it.

We have gotten off topic hear discussion different levels of of arriving at the same result when it come to hitching up. That is good information for those interested in that discussion but should be limited to threads directed at that subject or a PM to another member.
Yes, you are right, the thread has "gotten off topic", as many threads do. In defense of some who posted here, myself included' so little actual users data is available that it is sort of expected.

Statements like "it works good" are just not much information about a new product, especially with such a radical new design and approach, IMHO. Could have gotten much more from the manufacturer's advertisements. I do welcome and await with great anticipation more actual users information, and it would be really good if it contained some scale numbers to boot. Since I have no such user's information, I'm now in thread monitor's mode only.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #156

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Mode>>

Threads meander off topic and back on topic through the normal course of posting, and is part of the forum experience. This thread is no exception; however, posts referencing other hitch brands and experiences with those items should relate to the material on which this thread is based.

We have threads dedicated to HaHa and PP and material related soley to the performance of those brands should be posted therein. If there's a correlation with the Andersen product, then by all means it should post here.

Thanks,

The Site Team

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I do welcome and await with great anticipation more actual users information, and it would be really good if it contained some scale numbers to boot. Since I have no such user's information, I'm now in thread monitor's mode only.
Unlike hitches that require chain link count or head tilt notch to give a step function adjustment I can dial in an infinite range with the adjustment nuts There fore I can apply any weight to the front axle depending on the springs of the TV.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am looking forward very much to receiving my Andersen hitch and installing it, and dialing it in this week. In the mean time, I was researching other things and ran across this very wise quote in the extensive thread on Nyloboard. I hope Anne does not mind that I am reposting it.

"I think the value of the forums is to have some who will take an educated risk with a new product and give the chance for everyone to learn from the experience.

Anne"
Old 06-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #159
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Sway control

I have a question:

As I see it, the only sway control is the dampening action of the friction between ball shaft, "brake material", and ball shaft socket.

Is that correct?

Ken
Old 06-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
i have a question:

As i see it, the only sway control is the dampening action of the friction between ball shaft, "brake material", and ball shaft socket.

Is that correct?

Ken

yes

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Unlike hitches that require chain link count or head tilt notch to give a step function adjustment I can dial in an infinite range with the adjustment nuts There fore I can apply any weight to the front axle depending on the springs of the TV.
Howie, I know I said I was in "monitor mode", but I've read contradictory statements to yours on another forum:

" He reported he could not crank with the wrenches he had or even with a deeper socket much past 3/8" and still came up 260# light on the front of the Suburban with a 960# TW."

That's why it would be nice to see some actual scale numbers, especially with a heavy trailer, using this Andersen hitch.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #162
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
If my hitch gets here this week I'll put it on and run it thru the scales this weekend. If it does not get here this week, it may be a couple of weeks before I can get to it. I have not found where anyone posted about using the scales when dialing in with an Andersen. I would not do it more than once unless I change tow vehicles. IMO it is always good to have a reference point.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
" He reported he could not crank with the wrenches he had or even with a deeper socket much past 3/8" and still came up 260# light on the front of the Suburban with a 960# TW."
Please advise as to what this statement refers to.

If by chance it relates to the Andersen hitch and is referring to the adjustment of the nuts used to tighten the chains I would have to assume he installed the brackets at the wrong location or has not taken the load off with the jack while hitching.

As noted I pull a 34 fter. with an Excursion and have had no reason to make any adjustment to the chains after the initial set up. I am dropping the front axle of the TV 1/2 in. so that is clear demonstration that weight has been transferred through the use of the hitch. I trust you can see the corrilation between fender drop and scale readings. I have calibrated the drop of my TV to a given scale reading and assume that to be a constant. Maybe a return to the scales every 50,000 might be warranted to account for changes in the suspension.

If I were to want an adjustment all I would have to do is raise the jack to take the weight off the chains and turn the nuts by hand. The only individuals I can see would need a wrench are those that have a hand jack. In that case a wrench may be the easier way to go just because it would not be that effective to jack the trailer/Tv by hand when hooking up.

Another point I should make here is while installing my hitch I when through the complete adjustment to get the load I wanted on the front axle with only the brackets bolted in place. Once I was satisfied I then marked the set screw locations and removed the brackets to drill the holes for the set screws. The bolts will hold things in place during installation. It is only while on the road that the set screws will have to be in place.

If you are of mind to use the scales I would suggest that you not set the set screws until you have made you adjusts at the scales. Failure to do this may result in unnecessary holes in the frame.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #164
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
This is an intriguing subject...I like the 'simplicity' of the design...However, I'm not convinced it transfers all that much weight to the TV front axle...

Check out the charts a user has made up for his combination of a Honda Pilot & Lance TT...

A new Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) - Topic

I don't see any real weight transfer at all on his weight chart...also, his other chart shows only about 1220# tension with the 1/4 inch compression of the chain, not the the 2000# noted in Anderson's videos...

Am I reading things wrong here?

I like the 'sway control' part of the design, but the actual weight transfer seems lacking...

Additional note - this user modified the frame brackets and used two frame holes (one original & drilled one new) to mount the brkt's directly with GD8 bolts - I'm not a big fan of that installation - those two holes may provide a weak spot in the frame for cracks or failure over time...IMHO
Old 06-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ray, all you have do is use a ruler to prove that weight is being tranfered. I hook up and my front end rises, crank in some WD (in my case 7 threads showing does the trick) and the nose goes back down. Very simple.

By the way I received an email from Andrew Porter, VP Marketing for Andersen. He was out of the office last week. He is going to check out this thread.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you will note in his fender heights he was headed in the right direction but just never completed the process. As his fender came back down towards the original height his weight increased towards the original. Had he continued to tighten the chains he would have been fine. You can put as much weight on the front axle as you want just tighten the nuts till you are there.

I suspect He paid too much attention to the instruction an did not have his brackets back far enough to start with. That way when he got to 9 threads showing he thought he was done. No 2 rigs are the same and one should try to understand the concept rather than adhere 100% to instructions.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Well, I am very disappointed right now. I ordered my Andersen hitch and it was to arrive today. At 6PM the UPS truck showed up, and I cheered! The box was small and very light weight.

Turns out that all I got was a 6" drop hitch stinger, no hitch! My net receipt was for the full hitch price. When I originally called the place to put the order in, apparently somehow the hitch with the correct stinger was not what got ordered, only the stinger. The order box says 1 of 1, so I know nothing else will be coming. The place is closed until tomorrow morning when I hope to straighten it out.

But the bottom line is that I will not be able to put it on for the upcoming trip this week, as there is no way a new order will get to me.

So, the information I wanted to provide will have to wait now for a couple of weeks at least. Sorry guys, I am more than a bit ticked too. It would have been a great time to try it out and test it. Guess I will just have to make a second trip to Glacier National Park soon after I get back from this one. Oh, the horror of it all....LOL.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #168
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Bummer.

The timing would have been great. Things happen but maybe it would have been too much of a rush to get it all together for your big trip. We will wait until your next outing.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Closed Thread