Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #1597
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I agree Mike but was just thinking that maybe, since it was going to be in the shop anyhow, to change it. A close inspection will show if any failure is indicated. I think not. At least for awhile that is. I just hate to have something like this fail while on the road somewhere.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #1598
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
My opinion is if the coupler you now have is working and you see no indication of a malfunction - why change it?
"At this point our official position is that the Atwood 88000 series coupler is incompatible with our Weight Distribution Hitch, so the ONLY current solution we endorse is to replace the coupler."

If I were "polarlyse", I would not tow my Airstream with the Andersen till I did change the coupler, but that's just me. I take a manufacture's statement of the compatability of their product seriously. YMMV.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #1599
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It is great to live in a country where we can openly disagree without bombs going off.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #1600
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Englewood , Florida
Does ANYBODY know if a 2013 19' Bambi would have an Atwood 88000 series coupler? I cannot see the markings on the coupler.

I have this trailer. I just installed the Anderson Hitch and am now wondering if I need to remove it since Anderson has said, ""At this point our official position is that the Atwood 88000 series coupler is incompatible with our Weight Distribution Hitch, so the ONLY current solution we endorse is to replace the coupler."

This deal with Anderson hitches is driving me nuts!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #1601
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Step back and take a deep breath. There are several factors that influence the failure rate of the Atwood coupler when used with the Andersen hitch.
Trailer size, road conditions, TV springs strength, and amount of travel are the most significant ones.

Your small trailer and the smooth roads of Fl. don't put you at the risk that those of us hauling very heavy trailer over the roads of the north east are facing. I would venture to say you will be quite a wile before you see a problem.

That problem will be evident when you see the front of the latch raise about 1/2 off the coupling. At that point you have sheared off the shark fin and the coupling is no longer securing the trailer to the hitch.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #1602
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've been cautious of the Andersen since first reading the coupler issue. As this is Andersen's position, I need to change something.

I like how the Andersen performs, especially smoothing roadways, sway resistance, and quiet smooth turns back or forward.

For me, I'm leaning toward a Propride hitch because it has good reviews, great service, and plenty of experience, and is the only hitch that equals and surpasses the Andersen's sway resistance.

I am also drawn toward the Quickbite coupler because it is easier to use than the Atwood while I "think" it is compatible with the Andersen.

Checking Andersen website I see no mention of this coupler issue. The right thing for them to do is offer a buyback, or replacement costs of the coupler, because we were not advised at purchase of the incompatibility.

Good company's are not afraid to innovate, and some things are not foreseen in the world of invention. This hitch design is a revolutionary, greatly improves the towing experience, and well worth pursuing.

Good company's also stand behind what they sell, compensating customers for their loss. We'll see what the company is made out of.

doug k
Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #1603
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Andersen type II / Hybrid.

Hi, this new inovative hitch would have the tapered ball shaft with friction lining, but all parts would be made out of steel/cast iron. The ball would still move with the coupler. And a beefier/ heavier shank assembly would have spring bars instead of chains. In this design there would be no movement of the spring bars except for the flexing. No unusual pressures would be applied to any part of the coupler. Problem solved!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #1604
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this new inovative hitch would have the tapered ball shaft with friction lining, but all parts would be made out of steel/cast iron. The ball would still move with the coupler. And a beefier/ heavier shank assembly would have spring bars instead of chains. In this design there would be no movement of the spring bars except for the flexing. No unusual pressures would be applied to any part of the coupler. Problem solved!
Hi Bob, replacing the vertical-force spring bars with horizontal-force chains and urethane bushings is one of two main innovations of the hitch. This is where the smooth ride comes from, rather than the bouncing spring bars.

Yes the friction system is also superior, but together these two features are what make this hitch design better than all other friction-type hitches, and truly revolutionary.

I think they will work out the bugs, or someone will. The are very, very close. When they do, the choices will be this or Propride/Hensley (which is the superior no-sway hitch for absolute safety).

doug k
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #1605
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
All,

Andy Thompson expressed a concern that the innovate anti-sway system couldn't be "turned off" in icy road conditions. How much of a concern to you users of the Andersen is that, if at all?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #1606
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I am curious as to why some people kling to the idea that the Hensley is Superior to the Andersen as far as safety. Just because they claim it does that make it so?

Have you heard from any Andersen user that has had an uncontrolled event?

Yes I have had and know many others that have had uncontrolled events with spring bar WD systems. But does that justify lumping Andersen with them just because it is no a copy of the Hensley.

I am also curious how Andy would "Turns Off" the sway control on other systems while on icy roads? Most commercial trailers now have anti sway anti sail control build into the trailer to prevent sway and thus prevent Jack Knifing.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #1607
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

I am also curious how Andy would "Turns Off" the sway control on other systems while on icy roads? Most commercial trailers now have anti sway anti sail control build into the trailer to prevent sway and thus prevent Jack Knifing.
On the traditional friction arms you can loosen off the friction setting manually if you're driving in slick conditions. Using traditional friction anti-sway it is possible that any loss of contact between tire and road (caused by ice perhaps) could create a situation in a turn where you can't overcome the forces being applied by that anti-sway system, then you end up in a skid. Loosen off the friction and you lessen that likelihood. On the Andersen, the friction based anti-sway is always "on" and can't be adjusted for the conditions. I was interested to hear from Andersen users if they felt that this was concern or not.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #1608
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
All,

Andy Thompson expressed a concern that the innovate anti-sway system couldn't be "turned off" in icy road conditions. How much of a concern to you users of the Andersen is that, if at all?
Considering the source, none at all.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #1609
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
All,

This is reaching really deep to pull out a criticism of the Andersen, Equal-I-Zer, Reese, Hensley, Propride, or any that use built-in sway control. Except that he singled out Andersen. His posts are for the most part, advertising.

So, as an Andersen user, not being able to "turn off" the sway control is not a concern to me. If the Andersen does not work for me, I will get a Propride, another hitch Andy Thomson ignores because of profit margins.

doug k
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #1610
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
How many of us really expect to have a happy experience towing a trailer on icy roads? Certainly not me, no matter the brand of hitch. Call me contrary, but I enjoy the benefits of the Andersen hitch. I also realize there has not been fifty years development with them as with some other brands. So far, I am liking what the hitch does for me.