Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #1569
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
TG, Thanks for the pictures. I can see why the Andersen would not be likely to cause problems with this coupler. The more pressure that is put on the pawl, the tighter it fits. It appears this is the original coupler on your trailer. Is that right? By the way, your photography is better than mine!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #1570
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes, the coupler appears to be original equipment.
I bought the Argosy from the son of the original owner. I don't believe it had as many miles on it when I bought it, compared to the miles I have put on it.
We average about 3,000 miles per year.
The first true test of the Andersen will be our upcoming 4,000 mile trip to Canada in June.
So far I have towed just over 700 miles since installing the Andersen in January.
No sign of any problems yet.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #1571
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
Attached is the photo I promised. First, no comments on my welding. As you can see my primary welding tool is a good grinder.Attachment 181225
I am not sure what your coupling is, make or model, but it is not the Atwood that people are having problems with. The fin in your picture has no contact with the lift bar and thus no point of holding the bar down.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #1572
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Ormond Beach , Florida
Andersen and the Atwood (Marvel) coupler

Andersen just confirmed (and you can see the coupler in their video) that the Atwood 81911 is the coupler of choice. I just ordered one from etrailer and will let you know about the removal of my Atwood (Marvel) 88010 and install process of the 81911. Really appreciate all the input about the QuickBite and it looks like it will work great with the Andersen, but the cost difference between the QB and the Atwood 81911 was just too much for me to justify the QB.

Save travels.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #1573
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Just wanted to add that I found my Quickbite on ebay or amazon, I forget, only paided $49.95 plus $30.00 shipping. Not bad for $180 coupler.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #1574
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
I spoke with Dave Andersen on 3-12-13 about using my 2 month old Andersen WDH with my 07 19' Bambi. I had sent an email the week before , but no one responded. The trailer has a Atwood 88010 coupler. I explained to Dave that I was getting ready for a 3000 mile trip to Disney with my wife and three young daughters and was worried about using the WDH. Dave told me they had a solution and he would email me a pdf with the fix on 3-13-13.

Here it is a week later and no email.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #1575
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Ormond Beach , Florida
Andersen and the Atwood (Marvel) coupler

Ouch. No info from Andersen. Have you already spot welded your chain support brackets at the top to stop the top from moving rearward? If you haven't and have another WD hitch, I would recommend you using that rather than the Andersen. If not, I would monitor the thumb release ofter to see if the Andersen is about to shear off the shark fin. If it does, your paw is not under the ball, but at the side, which does not lock the hitch to the coupler.

Regardless, unless Andersen comes up with a solution, do not use the Andersen with the 88010.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #1576
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalarry View Post
Regardless, unless Andersen comes up with a solution, do not use the Andersen with the 88010.
Personally, I think this is going to be the directive henceforth because of the way the Andersen loads the coupler.

Additionally, and I've said it before, I would not use the Andersen with ANY coupler that latches by allowing a pawl to go DOWN to lock the coupler to the ball. Just too much load on any pawl latching device, IMHO.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #1577
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Too bad the original cast Marvel coupler is no longer available. It appears to be the only one that is not prone to failure with the Andersen system according to post here. I am very happy that is what my trailer is equipped with.
I ran into an “internet expert” this past weekend while attending a unit rally. First words out of his mouth were that the Andersen does not work, will not redistribute weight and does nothing for sway control and is totally unsafe to use. He then claimed that several trailers have come detached from their TVs while moving. I asked him where he heard this and he said it has been posted on “Airforums”. I told him that he needs to go back and read some more. I knew that it would not take long for the distortions and outright lies to take hold and be spread as fact. By the way: He would not tell me his Airforums screen name. On the plus side at least two attending are placing their orders for the Andersen system after seeing mine, talking to me and seeing how efficient and simple the system is too use.
Good Luck to all that are having genuine problems and hopefully you will all find a set up that works for you.
*Just put another 580 miles on mine. Still working and looking good in all respects.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #1578
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
Larry,

I have not welded the brackets, the set screws have been holding so far. Thanks for the info on what to look for with the coupler. The trailer is at Jackson Center right now getting some work done. Soon as I get it home the bracket are coming off, and the Andersen is going for sale. Anyone looking for one please send me a pm.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #1579
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Michael,

Don't get me wrong, I have an Andersen, use it, and like it. I think it's a really great product, a novel, new idea, but I use it on a smaller, lighter trailer, with a smaller tow vehicle, and with a totally different type of coupler that what is commonly used on Airstreams.

The Andersen works great in my application, but just from reading this thread, and the info presented by users here, I would not try to use it with my Airstream without at a minimum, changing the coupler.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #1580
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
From Andersen (Andrew Porter)

Hello, I'll explain where we are at right now.
With thousands of units on the road over the last 2 years, we have had tremendous success and customer satisfaction with the Andersen “No Sway” Weight Distribution Hitch. In the last 7 or 8 weeks we heard a few reports of an issue that was specific to the Atwood 88000 series coupler. Although there were only about 10-12 reported cases, it was enough to concern us, and we are currently performing in-house testing of the coupler. The issue: A few customers reported the potential of the Atwood 88000 series coupler to come unlatched over time due to wear. NOTE: The ONLY coupler design in the RV market we have found that has this potential issue is the Atwood 88000 series (stamped on the coupler as "Atwood model 88xxx" - xxx being any digits). All other Atwood couplers work fine. The similarly designed Marvel coupler also works just fine with the Andersen WD Hitch. What we have found so far:
We have been performing in-house testing of the Atwood 88000 series coupler, as well as consulting with engineers and RV Technicians. At this point we have not experienced the unit unlatching, but we can see there is the potential for the possibility of this happening over time with the Atwood 88000 series so we are taking the issue very seriously. From the reports given we were told that it is something that happens over time, not immediately. What can happen:
Because of the particular design of the Atwood 88000 series coupler, there is a lot of extra movement inside the coupler as compared to other couplers on the market. When combined with the reverse pressure that our Weight Distribution system places on it, over time, the slack in the internal mechanism of the some of these couplers slowly works its way backwards trying to unlatch from the top 'fin' - and eventually it can wear the fin down enough that it does not fully latch any more. The solution:
At this point our official position is that the Atwood 88000 series coupler is incompatible with our Weight Distribution Hitch, so the ONLY current solution we endorse is to replace the coupler. A good quality and sturdy replacement is the Atwood MPD 81911 coupler (seen below). However any coupler other than the Atwood 88000 series will work just fine. We have checked with several welding shops who told us that it would take about 1 hour of shop time to change out the coupler, averaging about $60–$100 in shop fees.
Atwood MPD 81911 Trailer Coupler, A-Frame Tongue (10,000 lbs tongue)

Other solutions: Although we have heard of a few Airstream owners who have had some success with modifying the latch mechanism and greasing the paw and ball, Andersen Mfg. does not officially endorse any solution other than replacing the coupler itself.

Please feel free to contact us further if you have any concerns or questions.

In the interest of convenience Andersen Mfg. has the Atwood MPD 81911 coupler available for $49 retail, which includes shipping to most states in the continental USA.

Andersen Management Team Andersen Hitches …Made in America!
Off: 208.523.6460 | Fax: 208.523.6562
Andersen Manufacturing Inc.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #1581
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
dmand001

Thanks for posting these comments from Andersen.

I would added one word of caution to anyone replacing the coupler. Make sure you position the new coupler using the jack as an alignment tool with the lower jack brace. This sounds simple and will be if the old coupler is cut off and the frame cleaned to allow the new coupler to fit far enough back on the frame to line up properly.

Now those with questions have a direction and economical solution to using the Andersen.

I am still satisfied I took the early leap and installed a QuickBite on my larger trailer.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #1582
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm assuming this is the 88000 series coupler that Andersen says not to use. Not sure, there are no markings on it. Does anyone know for sure?

Have been considering a Quickbite coupler, if this one is faulty, that's what I will do. I don't want to give up the excellent ride the Andersen has given us, and go back to a spring bar hitch (we still have the Equal-I-Zer).

So, which Atwood hitch is this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9193.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	181553