Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #2161
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendrag View Post
Okay, a very specific Ford F-150 can tow 11,000 # under uncommon but precise conditions.---
No, not just a "very specific F-150". The 2013 towing guide lists 21 different combinations which are rated for a "Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight" of 11,000# or more.

"under uncommon but precise conditions"?? Please explain what you mean by that.

Quote:
---I showed you how the Andersen hitch could be used with a trailer weighing 10,000 # and a tongue weight of 1400#.---
I missed that. Where did you post it?

Ron
Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #2162
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Your post 2128 seams quite familiar since it looks to be verbatim from instructions I have long sent via PM or posted here on how to set up a BAR type WD hitch. Fear not I would still offer those suggestions to anyone setting up a BAR type WD hitch as that amount of weigh transfer is necessary to cause the sway control, via friction, to be effective. Yes it works but at a cost to the structure of the trailer. Another approach is now available.
Some BAR type WD hitches do need to be transferring load in order to generate sway control. The Equal-I-zer and Dual Cam are two examples of these so-called "integrated" WDHs.
Many BAR type WD hitches do not generate sway control. They frequently are used with one or two "friction sway bars" which do not require load transfer in order to generate sway control.

Since many of those to whom you provided your 40/60 front/rear drop advice were not using an integrated WDH, I'm having trouble understanding how generating sway control via WDH friction was your motivation for insisting the WDH should be overloaded to produce front-end drop.
Instead, I choose to believe your rationale was as you said in several of your posts. Here's an example:
Another way to look at this is if the rear fender dropps 1/2 in. the front should drop about 3/8in. These measurments will very somewhat depending on the truck springs but the important point is you want to see weight transfered to the front axle. If the front axle is coming up you will have sway because of the reduced road friction on the front axle.
UNQUOTE
This rationale works with both an integrated WDH and a non-integrated WDH.

Quote:
When evaluating the complete effect of the Andersen hitch against the old approach to hitching one should look at the complete picture.---
I agree -- and, to me, the two most important components of the complete picture are load distribution and sway control.
I think by now we all know about the load distribution limitations.

I wonder about the sway control which relies on the integrity of the friction material between the ball shaft and its holder.
After seeing the photos of the friction material which was extruded out of the annular space between ball shaft and holder, I would be very concerned about the sway control functioning when it was really needed.

Somehow, it seems that the "secondary" benefits have taken precedent over the primary functions of an integrated WDH.

Ron
Old 07-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #2163
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
''''Snip............"under uncommon but precise conditions"?? Please explain what you mean by that.

I missed that. Where did you post it?

Ron
You really don't know what the 11,000+ test load is? Nothing at all like our travel trailers, which you might note is what we are talking about here. Read the fine print in those brochures while you are looking up all the combinations.

I gave an example of how a late model GM 3500 would do fine with the Andersen hitch and the advertised load. (Hint, that pickup would not require "any" WD hitch at that weight) Others can make statements that are true, but misleading at the same time.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #2164
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
...snip..........
After seeing the photos of the friction material which was extruded out of the annular space between ball shaft and holder, I would be very concerned about the sway control functioning when it was really needed.
.....snip.....
Ron
Would you mind referencing the post for those "photos", I don't recall seeing them here? Is it a common thing? I had a windshield wiper motor go out on my 2013 pickup, but I do not assume that would be a problem for all owners of a similar vehicle.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #2165
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
I gave an example of how a late model GM 3500 would do fine with the Andersen hitch and the advertised load. (Hint, that pickup would not require "any" WD hitch at that weight).---
So, you're saying the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch would do fine in a situation which does not require any weight distribution.
It's hard to disagree with that kind of "logic".

A 14K Titan ball mount also can handle 1400# TW and provide zero weight distribution. And, it only costs about 50$.

Ron
Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #2166
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
I said that a GM 3500 pickup would do fine with the Andersen hitch. Since it does not need one anyway, how can you argue with that? I am sure you would like to. My statement is the kind of foolishness that manufacturers and some "experts" on here put out. Half truths, forgetting to include all the parameters, quoting anonymous Internet contributors (which you have done), are all part of the "Knock knock" game it seems.

I have never said that the Andersen hitch was the perfect solution to all our towing situations. I do think that people who are willing to spend thousands of words, charts, and graphs telling people how bad they are must have another agenda. I doubt that they have ever towed with one. Me, I would rather travel than type, and it's time to roll again.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #2167
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Would you mind referencing the post for those "photos", I don't recall seeing them here?---
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1305865

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1313251
Please note what this user had to say:
"---The brake material appears to be coming out, there is now a squeal where it was quiet and in the high winds I could tell the sway control was not there as before."

Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #2168
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Ron

You have quoted my posts and I do not retract any of what was stated in them when applied to a bar friction WD system. The difference is you are assuming that the Andersen has to transfer a similar amount of weight to the front axle in order to work. That is not the case.

A bar/friction type sway control hitch control sway through the formula. F=UM. F is the force to overcome movement at the cams and is a function of U, the coefficient of friction between steel and steel and the M, commonly referring to a mass at rest, but in this case the load on the bars produced by transferring weight to the front axle. Depending on the bar weight rating the 60/40 ratio is suggested as an easy way to originally determine effective sway control. I think you will note if you reread my comments that that is not cast in stone and requires significant adjustment to reach the ultimate effective ratio and thus sway control for a give combination.

In the case of the Andersen there is no need to apply force to the cams as they are not the mechanical mechanism used to reduce sway. While the formula F=UM still applies in controlling sway. The only reason to consider weight transfer when using an Andersen, that uses a different mechanical mechanism, friction between the cone and ball shaft, is to apply enough downward force on the front axle to maintain steering geometry, something you might find and quote from some of my other posts.

Now you and others may not accept this and continue to Howl at the Moon for something that is not necessary I trust most readers will see beyond your comments once they realize they make no physical sense.

Another attribute of mechanical advantage you missed in your comment question the use of axle ratio is that resultant power applied to the rear wheel of a tow vehicle is a function of the HP produced by the engine and the drive train final ratio. Since all internal combustion engines have a Power Curve maximum power at driven speeds is governed by changing the final ration through the transmission and rear axle thus the use of more than one gear ratio in the transmission and selecting a rear axle ratio. Soccer Moms don't generally need as much power as those that tow trailers.

The owner of the hitch you posted above was a victim of the misunderstanding that WD transfer had to equal that of a bar type system. He had a lightly sprung TV. The load applied to the bushing was beyond extreme and thus caused COLD FLOW of the brake material. I had talked to him in an attempt to correct this misconception but he has chosen to leave trailering and I now own that system and will install it on my daughters trailer

Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #2169
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe the new direction Howie is now trying to lead us is the primary function of a weight distribution hitch is not weight distribution, but friction sway control.

Ridiculous.

It is unfortunate the Andersen company does not come onto this thread to discuss some of the questions and problems described here. Surely they are reading it, and some of us have done much to provoke a response from them, rather than a few self-appointed surrogates.

The responses here are more often written to sidetrack the issue, whether with some obscure new theory about weight distribution or just plain foolishness.

Andersen, do you hear us now?

doug k
Old 07-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #2170
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
doug

What obligation would Andersen have to come on a public forum and discuss question that have no relevance to their products. You are completely hung up on the assumption that they have to deliver your interpretation of weight transfer.

In general there no longer is a need for your interpretation as most current TV no longer are the softly sprung cars of the 60s and 70s. Times have changed and their product reflects the needs of today not yesterday. WD transfer served a completely different purpose then. It was used to reduce the disruption to the car's ride characteristics and steering conditions produced by extreme deflection of the rear springs caused by the tongue weight. Bar type sway control systems used the forces produced in the transfer as a mean of increasing the load on the friction sway control system. The only function that still exist is the retention of the steering geometry and that can be accomplished with much less transfer given the heavier rear spring no on most TV.

Your champion attempted to influence this tread early on in the game and was asked to refrain as I suspect Andersen might should they choose to go on another tread dedicated to a given product. That said we are left with users and none users hammering it out.

You have made your point that you believe the Andersen does not transfer the weight that the older bar type hitches do. What you have not done is post a mechanical reason why it should. You have relied on ambiguous specs presented by auto manufactures that often are in direct conflict with themselves. You insist that trailer owners meet your idea of WD or suggest they have committed some unwritten law. Are you suggesting I have to return my front axle weigh to original if I put my heavy mother-in-law in the back seat lest I be in violation.

Lets continue to discuss this and see how it effect the overall sales of the Andersen. Unless you come up with some new ideas I think I-m ahead based on returns from those I encounter on the road and comments from new users here.

I started this tread stating Andersen would be a HaHa Killer and have not seen anything to change my mind.

Have not seen your body separation pictures you report to have to support your case yet. But then again you could use mine produced after years of using a bar type hitch.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #2171
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Are you suggesting I have to return my front axle weigh to original if I put my heavy mother-in-law in the back seat lest I be in violation.
I think in most cases having your mother-in-law (heavy or not) in your back seat would actually somewhat increase the load on your front axle, not decrease it. Unless your mother-in-law's centre of gravity is behind your rear axle. Maybe you have a seat waaaaaay in the back just for her.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #2172
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
I think in most cases having your mother-in-law (heavy or not) in your back seat would actually somewhat increase the load on your front axle, not decrease it. Unless your mother-in-law's centre of gravity is behind your rear axle. Maybe you have a seat waaaaaay in the back just for her.
I stand corrected. I was hoping she was ALL THE WAY BACK in the pickup truck and just deflecting the to rear axle.

Now I will have the mother-in-laws of the world on my back to.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #2173
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well, there you have it. Howie has redefined the need for weight distribution.

I have ditched the troublesome, ineffective (and possibly dangerous) Andersen in favor of a ProPride, which uses no friction in favor of brilliant design to obtain no sway, no trailer tow angle to the truck. Hensley operates the same.

The owner of the company has been a frequent contributor to this forum. He is not aware of Howie's new weight distribution standards and recommended 1400# weight distribution bars for my rig. The result has been a softer riding, surefooted system that reduces the Andersen to a wanna-be minor league player.

You ought to try one Howie, you'd never go back to that gizmo from Andersen. Your Airstream would like it as well.

doug k
Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #2174
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
As an impartial reader of this thread and someone who wants to learn more about various hitches (I don't own an Anderson, ProPride or Hensley), I think we are all aware of Doug's position on the Anderson set-up. I believe readers of future posts in this thread would benefit from information from current Anderson users rather than continually rehashing opinions from folks who have chosen to switch to other brands.

Just my two cents.

Susan
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #2175
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Thank you Susan.

That request has been offered several times in the past without results. doug has on several occasions threatened to not post any longer only to pop back up when anyone new voices a comment of satisfaction towards the Andersen. I think he feels threatened by the fact that a new and much less expensive system is proving to question his decision.

Once he feels the need to voice his misleading comments I feel obligated to respond, something I would clearly not want to continue. I would rather want this tread to be an open discussion of Andersen users whether they be positive or from those who truly have a problem not an agenda.

As a long time user, and frequent commenter on the use, of another system I have not now chosen to go on threads pertaining to that system and Bad Mouth it just for the sake of it. I have found something that works better than what I had and will comment to others in the field as such when asked "What is that"

Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #2176
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Can't hear for the shouting

It's sad that when someone needs actual information here they have to get it through private message most of the time because everything else is lost amid the constant debating over the same issues.

I have both gotten and given info thru pm's. Much simpler, but leaves out a lot people who might otherwise benefit.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #2177
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Susan, your opinion is worth a lot more than 2 cents. Unfortunately it will not stop him from reporting his fiction over and over. Some people just can not move on. Only he knows what his agenda truly is. A couple of years ago in the cruise ship industry one cruise line was paying people to write negative reviews of another line. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but it all smells might fishy to me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #2178
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Thanks Susan. Well said. Sometimes us guys let our ego's cloud the picture.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #2179
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
As an impartial reader of this thread and someone who wants to learn more about various hitches (I don't own an Anderson, ProPride or Hensley), I think we are all aware of Doug's position on the Anderson set-up. I believe readers of future posts in this thread would benefit from information from current Anderson users rather than continually rehashing opinions from folks who have chosen to switch to other brands.

Just my two cents.

Susan
Hi, Susan; The way I see it there has been nothing accomplished for gosh knows how long. Basically, in short, All I've read for days is:

"It works"

"No it doesn't"

"It does too work"

"No it does not"

"Well it works for me"

"Well it didn't work for me"

Where is Andersen? Sean is always there for the Propride users.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #2180
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And don't forget references to science fiction and bumblebees.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Closed Thread