Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #1499
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalarry View Post
I spoke with Andersen yesterday and they suggested that I use the Atwood 8191 coupler []Trailer Coupler, 2-5/16" Ball, A-Frame Tongue (10,000 lbs) Atwood Trailer Coupler 81911 since this is the one they use on all their demo trailers and it works perfect.
Aah! A new fly in the ointment.

I had completely forgotten about this type of latch on a coupler. Considering the minimal cost of this coupling compared to a QB one would have to give it some thought.

My question at this point is if anyone has one could you give some details as to how the rearward force of the ball might be supported by this system.

I am somewhat disappointed at Andersen for not pointing out this option or the fact that they had used it in their testing. Certainly they have long been aware of this tread and the questions from several of us posting here. They clearly have adopted changes in their hitch that have been noted here as a result of our experiences. Why then have they not been forthcoming with information they have that would resolve other questions?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #1500
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
I got a reply from Andersen a couple of weeks ago concerning the communication I sent about excessive wear on my Atwood 88007 coupler. It said they would have a solution by the end of the week. I guess they just didn't say WHICH week!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #1501
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Howie, Andersen has lawyers. I would suppose like all lawyers they advise "admit nothing". Even big car makers make running changes all the time without informing past customers. If a customer ask they will tell them, but they are not going to put a general call out to all past customers with notification of changes. Also keep in mind that Airstream business is just a very small part of their overall sales base. It seems to me that Andersen is actually being very good with listening to Airstream owners and is working very hard to modify their product to suit our needs. It seems to me that the Andersen may not be entirely suitable for users with the Attwood couplers that Airstream uses. I would not be surprised if eventually Andersen says that the system cannot be used with them and will not be libel for any problems or damages. It might help if folks with problems with their Attwood couplers let Airstream know about the issues they are having. Maybe Airstream and Andersen working together can come up with a workable solution.
Just my opinion, others may vary.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #1502
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
This type of Atwood coupler is not just used on A$'s. there are all sorts of trailers out there with this coupler.
I still have to keep asking. Why is there a difference when you compare the Atwood to the old Marvel and Franklin couplers. Neither of which has the "fin" as it is now known.
Why can't you find an Atwood coupler rated for 20K or 30K like the Marvel and Franklin couplers of days gone by. I have them on two of my trailers. Did Atwood buy these 2 companies over the years, then redesign the coupler trying to save on production cost?
I will say it again. In looking inside the Marvel and Franklin couplers. I can't see any way the pawl can get above the ball. As a matter of fact, if I forget to "unlatch" the pawl on either of these couplers and set the coupler on the ball. The full weight of the trailer will not move the pawl beyond a certain point and certainly won't allow the ball to enter the coupler socket. Perhaps it's the difference between the heavy duty couplers and the relative light duty coupler that Atwood builds today. I wish we could get answers.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #1503
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It may be that the Atwood pawl failure is not unique to the Andersen system.

This post speaks to one that had a failure using a Reese Dual Cam. There is not an explanation as to how it failed but look at the bent pull rod and ware on the back side of the pawl on post #20

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...it-101833.html

If as we have assumed the Reese places a forward pressure on the ball I am at a lose to figure this one out.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #1504
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Howie, that thread poster suggests lifting the tongue jack to take the pressure off his Reese w.d. bars, as we all do all the time, is more than the Atwood coupler can handle. So there is evidence the latch problem is not unique to the Andersen hitch.

I would think a good coupler design should take the force of the hitch ball in any direction. We have to be able to brake these things hard, lift them with the tongue jack, and go over uneven roadways without worry of breaking the hitch latch mechanism.

It has been said earlier here w.d. bars clamp the ball to the coupler. That's true, but are we getting an inferior coupler design because of it, I wonder. Or another way to put it on this particular discussion, is the coupler latch question an Andersen hitch problem, or an Atwood coupler problem revealed by an Andersen hitch as well other actions such as lifting the tongue with the coupler fastened to the ball? Does lightening or removing the clamping action of the w.d. bars allow this coupler to fail when other directional pressures are applied?

doug k
Old 03-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #1505
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I don't think lifting the rig while the coupler is latched is the problem in either case. When lifting the rig the ball applies downward pressure on the pawl those holding it in the lower or coupled position.

I just can't envision how he bent that pull bar with a Reese but sure am open to an idea.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #1506
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I tend to agree with Doug K. If you were towing a relatively heavy trailer without brakes. Would the Atwood coupler fail if you had to slam on the brakes of the TV hard? Even an empty trailer would exert extreme pressure in this case.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #1507
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'm trying to decide if I should consider a different hitch or a different coupler, although there are no signs of either one causing problems at the moment.

I'll stay the course with my Andersen for the time being. I would hate to have to go back to the bucking and bouncing of w.d. spring bars again based on problems I don't have, or the recommendation of someone with other interests at stake.

doug k
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #1508
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Ormond Beach , Florida
Andersen with a Marvel Coupler

Well, it looks like I can still get a Marvel coupler []Marvel 2-5/16" A-Frame Coupler. Now I will need to see if it will fit my 2002 and if Andersen feels there will not be a problem. For you guys who have or have used a Marvel, does it have a shark fin? The nice thing about this coupler, there is a repair kit unlike the Atwood.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #1509
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
What Now?

At least we now know that Andersen did use an Atwood 81911 coupler. If this coupler shows problems there might be a chance of return past the 30 days and other compensations as well. Nothing else left here but to contact them by email, phone or both and address the concerns we’ve had here. Prospective owners of this hitch must ask Andersen if their hitch will work with the Andersen hitch. This way maybe there’s recourse for sending back a prematurely released hitch and perhaps claim damages on trailer coupler damage and replacements that it may have caused as well as other problems as they come forth. So, guinea pigs we are for Andersen till a major problem arise and perhaps then they’ll act. Still hoping that they fabricate a coupler w/ their hitch like they do their 5th wheeler.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #1510
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
This type of Atwood coupler is not just used on A$'s.
TG Twinkie,

If you are referring to the Thumb Latch 81912 Atwood 13,000#, AS did use one, it's on my '07 Classic Ltd. S/O. If I mis-read your comment, sorry. And the statement about a lack of a repair kit for the 81912, yup its is on Atwood documents we just ran thru it again recently about other coupling repair kits. If I can find my memory card adapter, I can post a pic if anyone wants it.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #1511
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Ormond Beach , Florida
Your are correct, Atwood makes a repair kit for the coupler you have on your 2007. I have the same one on my 2002, but the Andersen ate the shark fin. If I replace it with the Atwood Andersen recommends and uses on their test trailers [http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coup...od/81911.html], there is not a repair ket. I sent an email to Andersen asking if the Marvel coupler []Marvel 2-5/16" A-Frame Coupler would work. There is a repair kit for it and it appears it has a different latch system than the one I have now.
WBAC #1021
Ormond Beach, FL
1966 20' Globe Trotter
2015 Nissan Frontier SL
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #1512
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I'll refer to post #58 in this thread. It has a link to a PDF from Atwood and on the 2nd page 81912 is listed as not having a latch kit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...d-91132-5.html

I looked up into the coupler and the Thumb Latch pivots front to back in a stout channel. When retracted, ball can be removed/inserted. With the latch forward the latch blocks the ball from decoupling, the latch only pivots to lock or release the ball in the frame/channel for the latch.

Been sorta watching this Andersen discussion very interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81219.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	180640   Click image for larger version

Name:	81219 Latched Position.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	180641  

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Closed Thread