Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #2061
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bruce, one thing you don't have to worry about are your brackets slipping. Very solid looking weld job.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #2062
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have been off camping lately. I was talking to one Airstreamer that owns 5 Airstreams. I showed him the Andersen. He thought for a minute and then realized he only needed to buy 5 sets of the brackets to completely outfit his fleet with the Andersen hitching system.

Think about that for a second. Pull up to a given trailer, slip the chains through the brackets, and you are good to go.

If he presets each trailer and recorded the thread count for chain tension for each trailer he can be hooked up in no time.

There is just no end to the advantages of this system.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #2063
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Apparently I got my AH right about the time they modified the brackets and changed the angle to be better suited to the AS use. I got the earlier edition which are straight. I have not yet welded the brackets to fix them to the frame. I was wondering if I should obtain a set of the later version before I do that ???? I wonder if they would graciously supply me with the new version ???? Any idea what they would cost ?????

Howie, where are your travels taking you lately ??? We're staying close to home this summer. Next week we're off to upstate NY and Rhode Island. Later in Aug. off to Maine, Vt and again upstate NY.
Enjoy your travels. See ya on the road sometime.

Boy, that sure didn't take long.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #2064
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lodi , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Any idea what they (brackets) would cost ?????
I paid $89 for the 3 - 4" brackets, which included shipping.

Bruce
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #2065
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks Bruce. I will need to look into that

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #2066
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I am going to get in touch with Andersen and see if they will supply a smaller version for this guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mail.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	189653  

Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #2067
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
LOL: They custom made the brackets for my Bambi II and it is not much larger.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #2068
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I did give some thought to a PP but it would have weighed 3,000 time as much as the mailbox. I could not see that as a working alternative, but then again I should wait till all the comments are in.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #2069
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
I did give some thought to a PP but it would have weighed 3,000 time as much as the mailbox. I could not see that as a working alternative, but then again I should wait till all the comments are in.
Wouldn't your mailbox be the perfect application for the Lego ProPride? :-)

Old 07-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #2070
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
quickbite on order

OK, I am finally ready to tackle the coupler replacement issue. After reviewing several posts on this thread and other places I decided to go with the Quickbite. So I have ordered one. Apparently quickbite no longer has a website, but I was able to locate the 2 5/16" version on Tweety's website.

My understanding from a couple of posts is that the best way to add it is to weld it OVER the old Atwood plate after cutting off the ball area at the front. If I were to strip off the old plate I would need spacing strips to line everything up correctly. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully done it this way.Thanks

p.s. my next door neighbor is a welder and volunteered his services. How great it that!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #2071
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Post 1396 and after will give you my experience with the quickbit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...92131-100.html

it is important that you keep the top plate of the old Atwood to align the jack and hold the frame while working.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #2072
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Post 1396 and after will give you my experience with the quickbit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...92131-100.html

it is important that you keep the top plate of the old Atwood to align the jack and hold the frame while working.
Thanks Howie! That's what I was looking for. I did do a search and read dozens of post at both ends, but just didn't come to it. This thread needs it's own table of contents. lol.

Those pics and comments will help me and my neighbor immensely.

Now that I have accepted the fact that I have to change the coupler I am looking forward to trying out the quick bite. It comes with the 2 guide rods. I used to use the tennis ball on a car antenna method. Currently I use a cheap wireless camera, but this looks way better. BTW I usually hitch up alone, and prefer it that way.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #2073
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Been gone for a few weeks (I'm so sure you have all missed me ), and I see lots of new posts on the Andersen hitch.

Too bad it seems nothing has changed and the Airstream coupler still won't work with the hitch, the brackets are still slipping if not welded, and it still won't transfer weight adequate for a big trailer.

Wonder if Andersen will redesign in the near future because I still like the idea of the hitch, just wish it would do what it's supposed to do.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #2074
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Too bad it seems nothing has changed and the Airstream coupler still won't work with the hitch, the brackets are still slipping if not welded, and it still won't transfer weight adequate for a big trailer.
Yes Steve your absence was noticed. During that time no one was misrepresenting the facts quite as well as you do.

Yes there is an ongoing problem with the Atwood coupler. That is not a problem with the hitch. While it would be nice to have all new products full compatable with all older ones that is not always the case. Progress often requires some modifications or replacement of older systems. I trust you remember the 8 track and the fact that it will not play on an I Pod.

Brackets are subject to slippage, but easily secured by several methods other than welding. A second set screw at the top of the brackets or bolts through the brackets each work. None of this would be necessary if Andersen increased the tilt angle of the brackets and they were installed with the bolts preloaded against the frame before marking the location of the set screw.

I must restate that my 34 ft 8,900 lbs trailer is working very well with the Andersen. Something that you may have missed
or refuse to accept.

By the way I just ordered my second Andersen for my daughter's trailer.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #2075
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I must restate that my 34 ft 8,900 lbs trailer is working very well with the Andersen. Something that you may have missed
or refuse to accept.
Howie,

No one here doubts you like the hitch as much as you push it, but we do doubt that it actually transfers the tongue weight as it should.

Really, why would we believe it does for you when it doesn't for anyone else with a large heavy trailer?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #2076
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It might be time that we all just agree to disagree.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #2077
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF
It might be time that we all just agree to disagree.
I can get behind that. :-D
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #2078
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Just can't let it go, can you Steve?

It is getting really, really old...

I plan on replacing my aging Straight Line with the Anderson this winter after changing out my rather tired Atwood. I have a 4 ton, 31' Sovereign and I do not have the slightest doubt it will work just fine for me.

Why not get a PP tattoo and start a new thread all about the wonders of that miracle product...

Mike
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #2079
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Been gone for a few weeks (I'm so sure you have all missed me ), and I see lots of new posts on the Andersen hitch.

Wonder if Andersen will redesign in the near future because I still like the idea of the hitch, just wish it would do what it's supposed to do.
No Steve, not much has changed; the hitch still doesn't work, another user got rid of it (because it broke the latch and uncoupled from his trailer), and a few ardent supporters still verbally attack anyone who questions it.

It would be good for Andersen to redesign the hitch to work out it's many problems, although they are so intrinsic in its nature I wonder if it would ever be suitable for a large trailer.

The "works for me attitude" would also be true of the great towing characteristics of an Airstream with no w.d. hitch, and some who do have reported similar results.

doug k
Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #2080
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Yes, it seems it has gotten so bad here now that the "supporters" of the hitch have nothing else to do now than to attack anyone who has any question of it's greatness. Yes, that would be me, and I am an owner of an Andersen, and a user.

There is no perfect hitch at this time that I know of, and not even the ProPride is without issues. I say "that I know of" because I have not tried them all. I actually wish I could try an Equalizer, and some of the others, but it's just not practical. This is the reason I bought my Andersen, this and the fact that I was intrigued by it's revolutionary design.

Maybe we could set up a network on this forum to trade hitches around so everyone could share their hitch and that way everyone could get to try every brand out there while not having to actually go and buy one of every hitch. Lots of logistical problems with this idea, but it could be made to work.

However, I feel sort of sorry for those that blindly get on the bandwagon of a product just because they like the idea of it while closing their eyes to it's faults and limitations which are evident all around them.
Closed Thread