Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #1429
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just do a search for HowieE. There are at least 3 threads on the Andersen. Within the last 10 days he has posted pics with the info you are looking for.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #1430
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalarry View Post
You mentioned that you left part of the Atwood coupler on when you installed the Quickbite. What part? Can you send a picture and also show the where the angle iron was welded.
If your question relates to my installation just look at post 1396 above.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #1431
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Received the hitch yesterday and installed it this morning. Took longer to go get a 5/16 allen wrench than anything. I was lucky enough that on the first try the trailer was sitting about one inch low in the front with everything hooked up and WD applied.

I took it for a fifteen mile test drive under the best of conditions. I had a cross wind of 9 mph gusting to 17 mph, which is really no wind at all for this part of South Texas. The first thing one notices is the quiet. It is totally silent compared to the many WD hitches with spring bars that I have been around. The second thing is the smoothness of the pull. Sure, you can feel the engine pulling harder but the ride is as good as or better than unloaded. The third result was about the same amount of sway control as with two friction sway bars. I could not force it to sway and I never felt out of control. I like the lightness, the cleanliness, and the ease of hitching and unhitching. I am pulling a 28' 6,000 pound trailer with a tongue weight of 700 pounds with a 2012 Silverado 1500.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #1432
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Slightly off topic, but......

Hi, Sorry, but people on this forum have made statements about 35 mph side drafts, 50 mph head winds, and 10 mph tail winds; How do you know this? Do you have wind meters on your tow vehicles, are you just guessing, or was this wind speed stated on the the weather channel/station? I have towed in some really windy places and mostly didn't know how bad it was until I stopped at a rest stop and got out of my vehicle. [almost blown off of my feet]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #1433
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Hi Bob, probably because it they had said "light wind with medium gusts" someone would say "without a number, it didn't happen", on this thread.

doug k
Old 02-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #1434
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Sorry, but people on this forum have made statements about 35 mph side drafts, 50 mph head winds, and 10 mph tail winds; How do you know this?
Ha! Good question. Most of it is guesswork (looking at how hard the wind is pushing through the trees, etc).

Having ridden a motorcycle from L.A. to Death Valley every year for the last 8 years, I know when a Mojave crosswind is over 50 mph because it starts to pull my helmet off!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #1435
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
On the eastern slope of the Rockies along the I25 corridor. The wind speed and direction are posted on the electronic billboards above the highway along with warnings for high profile vehicles and other conditions.
Truck stops also have the information on their monitors that show traffic conditions etc.
The area near Cheyenne, WY is famous for it's wind. We also check at the Port of Entry.
A wind gage in Wyoming is a log chain fastened to the top of a fence post. The wind is blowing when the chain is flying horizontal from the post. Otherwise if you ask how hard the wind is blowing. The locals say; What wind? LOL
Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #1436
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
A wind gage in Wyoming is a log chain fastened to the top of a fence post. The wind is blowing when the chain is flying horizontal from the post. Otherwise if you ask how hard the wind is blowing. The locals say; What wind? LOL
A friend in Iowa claims they use a chain also, but the wind isn't blowing until links are snapping off the end!

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #1437
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
A friend in Iowa claims they use a chain also, but the wind isn't blowing until links are snapping off the end!

A Wichita anemometer is that same log chain with a bowling ball fastened to the end. You boys ain't got nuthin' on "Kansas wind...."
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #1438
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Some of you guys, with a little practice, might qualify to be a Texan someday. I live in near Sweetwater, Texas, the Wind Energy Capitol of the World. Suffice it to say, they don't put all those wind turbines up around here for their looks. The wind blows consistently and forcefully. I leave my Andersen hitch hooked up all the time so IT won't blow away.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #1439
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Sorry, but people on this forum have made statements about 35 mph side drafts, 50 mph head winds, and 10 mph tail winds; How do you know this? Do you have wind meters on your tow vehicles, are you just guessing, or was this wind speed stated on the the weather channel/station? I have towed in some really windy places and mostly didn't know how bad it was until I stopped at a rest stop and got out of my vehicle. [almost blown off of my feet]
Head winds and tail winds, within reason are easy to measure, when towing.

All you need is a calibrated speedometer and a calibrated air speed indicator, as they use on aircraft.

I used that system for 4 years, and it worked great in terms of telling you when to slow down or speed up.

Other than that, it's a wild guess at best.

Andy
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #1440
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
In Jersey we use a weather rock hanging outside.
If the rock is dry it is clear
If the rock is wet it is raining
If the rock is white it is snowing
If the rock is moving it is windy
If the rock is not there it was stolen.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #1441
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
So let me get this straight Andy. You drive down the road watching the speedometer and the wind speed indicator? Isn't that like texting?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #1442
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A timely reason to have and use the collar: I towed a new to me used car today from Spanish Fort, Alabama on a U-Haul trailer. I had taken over a couple of different drop bars and my Andersen bar and ball. It so happened that the Andersen was the right height as it was set up to give me a level trailer. I would not have been able to use it without the collar.
The ride was uncomfortable compared to hauling my Airstream. Too bad I could not use the entire Andersen WD system to smooth things out.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Closed Thread