Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #181
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Installed and road tested

Mine Andersen came in yesterday and I put it on this afternoon. Very simple and straight forward. The directions were all I needed and were easy to understand.
I hooked up to my Chevy 1500. Once installed it was very easy to get dialed in. Wheel well measurements looked good at 7 threads showing.
I took it out on I-75 about 35 miles south for a test ride and a trip to the scales. There was a lot of Friday traffic both going north and southbound and the trailer tracked as well as any I've towed. Passing 18 wheelers caused no problems and any movement felt the same as the movement with my old Hensley. The truck and trailer moved together if there was any movement at all.
The scales showed that weight was distributed up to the front axles.
Chains loosened:
Steer axle 2900 LBS
Drive axle 3460 LB
Chains tightened to 7 threads showing:
Steer axle 3180
Drive axle 3300
I think I will be very pleased with this hitch. Sure is easy to hitch and unhitch with no grease involved. The 200 lbs less weight will give me more cargo if I choose to carry. UPS box said it weighted 56 lbs. I used all the parts so I guess that is what the hitch weighs.
I ordered mine from Radauto.com.
Thanks HowieE and AWCHIEF for posting your results.
Joe
Old 06-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #182
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Follow up: I just now received an email from Andrew Porter, a VP at Andersen, and he is working with the folks at Hitchsource.com to get my order straightened out and the right hitch and parts to me.
Well, isn't that surprising! Something we don't hear a lot of these days, the personal involvement by senior management.

Bravo, they care!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #183
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Very Curious Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
The scales showed that weight was distributed up to the front axles.
Chains loosened:
Steer axle 2900 LBS
Drive axle 3460 LB
Chains tightened to 7 threads showing:
Steer axle 3180
Drive axle 3300
I am closely following Andersen WDH user reports and find your results to be very curious.

If I am interpreting your axle loads correctly:

your steer axle increased from 2900 to 3180# -- a gain of 280#

your drive axle decreased from 3460 to 3300# -- a loss of 160#.

A simple load balance means that 280-160 = 120# was transferred from the trailer to the tow vehicle when the chains were tightened.
It seems to me that a WDH cannot remove load from the trailer.
I believe a WDH only can add load to the steer axle and trailer axles.

Typically, a WDH removes load from the drive axle, with about 2/3 of that load going to the steer axle and 1/3 going to the trailer axles.

Are you sure your scale values are correct?

Did you also measure the tow vehicle axle loads with the trailer disconnected?

Ron
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #184
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Ron
Probably had to do when the girl hit the button on the scale. I have to get out of the truck to call them. I could have been in the truck, on the rear drive scale, or climbing up to hit the call button when the picture was taken.
Unhooked weights are:
Steer axle 3360
Drive axle 2400

Trailer axles:
Loose 6520
Tightened 6600 (weight must be moving around.)

BTW, I took the rig to the scales to satisfy myself weight would be shifted. It was, so I'm cool. I still had plenty of room to adjust and feel confident I can adjust when I load up to travel. A lot easier than my former hitch.
Good luck,
Joe
Old 06-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #185
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
The Missing 200#

Joe,

The measured GCW for "chains loose" was 2900+3460+6520 = 12880#.

The measured GCW for "chains tight" was 3180+3300+6600 = 13080#.

One explanation for this difference is that 200# was removed from the scales during the "chains loose" weighing.
If we arbitrarily add 100# to each TV axle for the "chains loose" weighing, the "adjusted" axle loads would be:

TV Only: steer = 3360#, drive = 2400#
"Loose": steer = 3000#, drive = 3560#
"Tight": steer = 3180#, drive = 3300#

The "loose" condition would cause 360# to be removed from the steer axle and 1160# to be added to the drive axle.
The indicated tongue weight would be 800#.

The WDH would remove 260# from the drive axle. The load added to the steer axle would be 180#, and 80# would be added to the trailer axles.

If the above "adjustment" gives values close to reality,
the WDH would have transferred about 50% of the load required to bring the steer axle back to its unhitched value.

Ron
Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Ron,

Will the Andersen not bring the steer axle back to the 3360# as before the trailer was added to the tow vehicle?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Joe, glad you are happy with the Andersen hitch. Hopefully your numbers will help the number crunchers understand that it does actually work as advertised.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Numbers make my head go

Thanks for posting them.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Steve,

Joe's data show the steer axle was 180# lighter than the unhitched value with 7 threads showing.

Joe stated, "I still had plenty of room to adjust and feel confident I can adjust when I load up to travel."

We'll just have to wait to see what happens when Joe loads up and further tightens the chains.

It would be informative to know how much urethane spring compression was associated with his measurements.

Ron
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Ron

I am not sure what your point is here. A couple of things are clear. The hitch transferred to the front axle, a question that several have voiced. The amount can not accurately determined because Joe may have stepped off the scales for one of the readings, thus negating the math. The limit of adjustment was not reached, so additional tuning is available if needed.

He has stated that he was satisfied with his fender measurements before heading to the scale.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #191
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
HowieE,

My point was to understand what Joe's scale data were telling us. The numbers didn't make sense to me. If he did step off the scales during one measurement, then the numbers could make sense.

I don't think anyone questions whether the Andersen hitch can transfer load to the front axle. In my mind the question is how much load can be transferred.

From the scant amount of load data reported on this forum and others, I've not seen any data which shows full front axle load restoration for tongue weights in the range of 800-1000#. I'm not saying it can't happen -- I'm just looking for evidence that it has happened.

I have no problem with people being satisfied with their fender height measurements. I prefer to use axle load measurements as an indication of how much load is being transferred. And, I was just trying to understand the load data reported by Joe.

The urethane springs can only withstand a limited amount of compression. I'm interested in seeing if users can get enough compression to achieve full front axle load restoration when tongue weights are 800# or more.

Ron
Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ron, I also don't see what your point is. So I have an idea. Why don't you buy an Anderson hitch and check it out yourself. If you do not like it you can return it within 90 days.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #193
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gratz View Post
HowieE,

From the scant amount of load data reported on this forum and others, I've not seen any data which shows full front axle load restoration for tongue weights in the range of 800-1000#. I'm not saying it can't happen -- I'm just looking for evidence that it has happened.

The urethane springs can only withstand a limited amount of compression. I'm interested in seeing if users can get enough compression to achieve full front axle load restoration when tongue weights are 800# or more.

Ron
Not that it really matters, but I agree with you Ron. I really like a lot about this hitch, the fact that it is light weight, quiet, and greaseless, but still wonder if it truely will transfer all the weight needed with a heavy tongue weight trailer.

I'm also interested to see how it does long term, because even though all of the owners of the hitch seem to be very happy, the truth of the matter is there are no owners with more than a few months of use with it, let alone the decades and hundreds of thousands of miles of use and experience we have with the traditional hitches.

Like I've said in the past, it would be fun to be able to try every type of hitch built with your own rig, and then you would know for sure what hitch you like best.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
I have no problem with people being satisfied with their fender height measurements. I prefer to use axle load measurements as an indication of how much load is being transferred. And, I was just trying to understand the load data reported by Joe.
Ron I will hook up and tow to the scales if you can explain to me how I dropped the fender height of my TV by 3/8 of an inch when hooked up with the Andersen. By the way that is the same depression I was getting with my Reese. Yes scale weights are an interesting way to gather exact data and I would assume a manufacture might take that route during initial testing. More to calibrate the limits of the system hitch than for over the road setting up.

If I add the 5 grandchildren to the Excursion should I go to the scales as I leave town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I'm also interested to see how it does long term, because even though all of the owners of the hitch seem to be very happy, the truth of the matter is there are no owners with more than a few months of use with it, let alone the decades and hundreds of thousands of miles of use and experience we have with the traditional hitches.
Steve we are both retired so I have to assume you have some age on you. Do you really have the time to wait a decade or until someone gets 100,000 miles on an Andersen. I did not. I saw something that made scene to me. I bought it. I made the changes in the instruction that were warranted and I have a system that works better than what I had before. If it fails this Forum will be the first to know.

The half dozen or more Reese systems I have used over time all had some form of failure and I have posted those conditions here over the years.
I have had the head bust in half while on the road. I have had bars crack in 2. I have worn trunnions to the point beyond adjustment limits. I have had the upper cup push out from lack of material in the original casting. I have redesigned the new Straight Line System to correct the fact that they fail on hard turns. All in all I am prepared for a mechanical system to fail, they all do in time, and will deal with that when it happens. We have to make our own judgements on the information we a comfortable with.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #195
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
HowieE,

Ron
Ron, I'm not sure what my tongue weight is now but when I did the bathroom scale method it was pushing 1200 lbs. I had a Hensley on then. Maybe you can figure what it would be now.
Joe
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #196
1 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
SJ , California
User report

Hi,

I will add a user report.

I have a 19' Bambi and a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee TV. I installed the Andersen WD system about a month ago.

Sorry, I have no weights. I took fender measurements and the front fenders returned to exactly the same height as unhooked the rear are about an 1" lower. The trailer is level. The ride is excellent. I worked with Andersen when I had some questions. I ended up grinding off two links of the chain because my propane tanks were in the way.

After about 1000 miles I am VERY happy.

Please don't try to get me into theoretical discussions, I now feel safe and I am going camping!

If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Jim
Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #197
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvastola View Post
Hi,

I will add a user report.

I have a 19' Bambi and a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee TV. I installed the Andersen WD system about a month ago.

Sorry, I have no weights. I took fender measurements and the front fenders returned to exactly the same height as unhooked the rear are about an 1" lower. The trailer is level. The ride is excellent. I worked with Andersen when I had some questions. I ended up grinding off two links of the chain because my propane tanks were in the way.

After about 1000 miles I am VERY happy.

Please don't try to get me into theoretical discussions, I now feel safe and I am going camping!

If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Jim
Hi Jim, thanks for posting your experience. Also welcome to the Forums.
Joe
Old 06-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #198
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I know for me that 200# less on the front when towing is no big deal. I have driven from Seattle to Colorado with the back of the sequoia full of Ikea furniture. I know my front end was up because the semi trucks keep flashing me. When my car is full of groceries and my four kids, the front end I'm sure is lighter but I have never noticed it.

I'm with most here, when towing I measure the fender height on the front and back. And I'm good to go. No matter what WD I use.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 06-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #199
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

Steve we are both retired so I have to assume you have some age on you. Do you really have the time to wait a decade or until someone gets 100,000 miles on an Andersen. I did not. I saw something that made scene to me. I bought it. I made the changes in the instruction that were warranted and I have a system that works better than what I had before. If it fails this Forum will be the first to know.

The half dozen or more Reese systems I have used over time all had some form of failure and I have posted those conditions here over the years.
I have had the head bust in half while on the road. I have had bars crack in 2. I have worn trunnions to the point beyond adjustment limits. I have had the upper cup push out from lack of material in the original casting. I have redesigned the new Straight Line System to correct the fact that they fail on hard turns. All in all I am prepared for a mechanical system to fail, they all do in time, and will deal with that when it happens. We have to make our own judgements on the information we a comfortable with.
HowieE,

Don't get me wrong, if I were in need of a hitch, I would buy the Andersen in a heartbeat. However, at this time I own what I believe to be the best hitch made, so I'm not buying anything else.

I guess let's just say that I am very interested in Andersen's new type of hitch, and I'm enjoying discussing it. If a time comes that I see that I need a different hitch, and the Andersen is still doing well, and no major issues have developed, I'd probably buy one.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #200
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Ron I will hook up and tow to the scales if you can explain to me how I dropped the fender height of my TV by 3/8 of an inch when hooked up with the Andersen.---
In order to provide a meaningful explanation, I would need to know:

the trailer's tongue weight,

the fender heights with the TT NOT attached,

the fender heights with the TT attached and with the WDH chains loose,

the fender heights with the TT attached and with the WDH chains tight.

Ron
Closed Thread