Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Taking 2 hitches and welding into one

I have a Husky hitch with equalizing bars that have a habit of dropping off en route. I put in a new pin to stop this but still have a problem. At the recent Branson rally I bought another used hitch (no idea of brand). It's lighter and easy to hook up the bars but the trailer doesn't travel level. Seems to be about 2 incher higher so trailer slopes down in the back. The Husky hitch has a bar with bolts that lower it to the correct height. A friend who is a pro welder looked at both hitches and didn't see any problem taking the front half of the husky and the back half of brand X and creating a new one with the correct angle. Any of you pros out there can weigh in on this idea?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
I have a Husky hitch with equalizing bars that have a habit of dropping off en route. I put in a new pin to stop this but still have a problem. At the recent Branson rally I bought another used hitch (no idea of brand). It's lighter and easy to hook up the bars but the trailer doesn't travel level. Seems to be about 2 incher higher so trailer slopes down in the back. The Husky hitch has a bar with bolts that lower it to the correct height. A friend who is a pro welder looked at both hitches and didn't see any problem taking the front half of the husky and the back half of brand X and creating a new one with the correct angle. Any of you pros out there can weigh in on this idea?

Pictures, pictures.

Without them, it's a guess what you have.

When it comes to load equalizing hitches, that protect you and your family, guessing is a horrible idea.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I agree with Andy - Me myself = I do not think I would combine anything with anything Pro welder or not.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
I have a Husky hitch with equalizing bars that have a habit of dropping off en route. I put in a new pin to stop this but still have a problem.
I can't help but think there is an unresolved problem with the Husky that allows the bars "dropping off en route", or at a minimum an error with setup/installation.

If it were mine, I'd get with Husky to hear their expaination why that is happening, and what they intend to do to resolve the problem.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Husky Equalizing Bar and hitch

I took the trailer to the Branson Rally last month and had about 6 men helping, analyzing and working through the problem. Great team effort. And about 6 tie wraps to get me home. But an option came up of someone selling an old set (not sure which brand ) which were brought to the rally in case some one was interested. So the whole pit crew worked feverishly in the rain to remove the Husky set and install the other (I'm $75 into this now) set. Every thing looked good except the trailer sat about 2" higher at the hitch than with the Husky. After several laps around the loop (did I say it was also raining) it was certified that I could make it safely back to Texas, but for long term use it would be best to keep the trailer level for travel.
So that's the story. Since the Husky has a vertical height adjustment thought that I could combine the 2 into one. There was a lot of opinions about the bars dropping off, maybe I had the wrong size bars etc. Grooves worn down?
Had replaced one of the holding pins but it still
Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up

Have you contacted Husky?
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Husky Equalizing Bar and hitch

Nope, bout the pin/latch from PPL here in Houston and it was simple to install. But the other bar dropped off on my last trip and then the one with the new latch. Had 3 different Streamers at the Branson rally look at it with flashlights, take it apart and put it back together with tie wraps. They weren't sure the bars were a perfect size match with the rest of the hitch. It came with the trailer, but the trailer didn't have the chain connection brackets installed. Might have been something the PO just threw into the deal.