Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Switch from Equilizer to ProPride

Great combo, 16mpg towing.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #82
1 Rivet Member

Jamul , California
Love ProPride

I've used the ProPride for over 3 years now and have never experienced trailer sway. It's worth every penny. Last week traveling across Arizona I had 30-40 mph crosswinds and I was doing 60-70 mph with confidence. I know a lot people complain about the cost but it's investment and I'll take from trailer to trailer.
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #83
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
TV v TT: Hitch AND Hitch setup...expertise

Last year joined the AS family with a 2017 FC23FB and pulled with a Chevy LTZ Tahoe w/ tow package and Equalizer 4 setup by dealer....watched and was fascinated by the care and expertise....towed great from KS to OR roundtrip... Then 2018 new Chevy Tahoe RST higher receiver...consulted with Equalizer support (great) and confirmed by their shank sizing program on line. Needed to go from a 6" to 7" drop; new custom shank in stock - max drop. Another dealer (closer by) set up hitch incorrectly (moved up shank); no loading on bars...would have been a bad trip out there. Pulled out the instructions, and started over again with training session, and confirmed with dealer that need to go to full drop; with the higher receiver. And then some new lessons learned on technology "logic": Chevy AutoRide/AutoLevel control: After setup Step 1: Start TV engine and put in TowMode Step 2: Hitch up trailer and put full load on hitch Step 3: Wait for air compressor on shock to finish. Step 4: Jack/Load bars Step 5: Measure TV and TT (frame to ground) for level....inside 1/2" level "perfect".....with a caveat ...may be different for different TVs'.

Lesson A: A hitch is only as good as the expertise to set it up. Maybe select the dealer expertise first and the hitch at which they are most experienced with....? And what hitch might be best suited for TV v TT?

Lesson B: With some of the newer trucks (higher receiver TT); do some brands of hitches have the capability to resolve the differential (drop) from TV to TT? (Don't have a clue...just know that I was at the max shank drop for Equalizer....which worked out great).

Lesson C: If newer TV technology ie. Chevy AutoRide/AutoLevel....get to know the truck logic. Am thinking the engineers "assumed" we would have the truck running and in TowMode when hitching up....maybe? Am still getting to know the system...

Reflection: Being a safety issue for a non-commercial application of people pulling 3-4 tons of weight behind them in an unregulated (no safety check/balance system); I can't imagine a dealer not doing this right for their own sake....and the need to certified trained professional techs based on hitch manufacturer. (Found out later my guy does mostly Brand A).
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #84
FFWilliston

2021 30RB Classic
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
I have switched to the ProPride and will NOT go back. After a devastating wreck with the equalizer type (wind gust), I installed the PP. Now I can pass tractor trailers with no sway effect. Have over 25,000 miles on it with outstandingly smooth, controlled, results. If you want the BEST in safety, make the change; else, accept the risk. V/R Fred
(30' Classic, F-150 Eco 6)
ffwilliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaag View Post
Has anyone made the switch from the equalizer hitch to the pro pride hitch? If so, were you pleased? Also, any guidance or advice you could give me would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Greg
Towed our first two box trailers with equalizer bars that had a sway bar attachment. Several white knuckle experiences with wind and 18-wheeler turbulence. Upgraded to a new tow vehicle, 27FC and a ProPride. Decided to protect our lives and investments with the best hitch. It is 207 pounds and takes some fine tuning, but worth it. If I sell the trailer in the future, I'm keeping the ProPride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5773.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	318385  
ForestStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Forest Grove , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestStranger View Post
Towed our first two box trailers with equalizer bars that had a sway bar attachment. Several white knuckle experiences with wind and 18-wheeler turbulence. Upgraded to a new tow vehicle, 27FC and a ProPride. Decided to protect our lives and investments with the best hitch. It is 207 pounds and takes some fine tuning, but worth it. If I sell the trailer in the future, I'm keeping the ProPride!
One overlooked benefit: no one will steal your Airstream because, well, how many "stingers" have you seen around? It would take a determined, intelligent thief to steal one. I have yet to meet an intelligent thief.
ForestStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestStranger View Post
One overlooked benefit: no one will steal your Airstream because, well, how many "stingers" have you seen around? It would take a determined, intelligent thief to steal one. I have yet to meet an intelligent thief.

Thank you for sharing.

WBCCI #8996
ghaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Switch from Equilizer to ProPride

A determined thief will simply hook up using the safety chains, and move the trailer to a secluded area to solve the rest of the hookup.

It takes only a few minutes to drop and discard a ProPride system. The stinger design is not much of a deterrent, unfortunately.

I also lock the safety chains in an unusable manner when I’m parked. Locks are for honest people, unfortunately.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:46 PM   #89
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
I used an Equal-I-zer hitch for 3 years. It worked well. Here were my issues with it:

2. My wife could not get the bars on and off on her own.
Nice review. Regarding #2, all you need to do is jack up the trailer a bit while hitched to the ball. I haven't used the "bar tool" in years. Bars come on and off by hand.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #90
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Equalizer, if your counting ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I have an Equalizer and am very happy with it. That said, I will never trash the HA or PP as they are very good hitches and have a very dedicated following.
I really believe what KK4YZ posted. Every TV/Trailer combination is different. Some are very stable while others are not. Just too many variables to say that all will be fine with any one particular hitch. I have over 40K miles towing with my combination, all of which have been without white knuckle experiences. High winds, steep mountain passes, passing semi trucks and steep downhill stretches not to mention a couple of near panic stops. Never felt threatened, no sway and it is easy to hookup regardless of incline.

What I have trouble with is what was posted here.

Originally Posted by StreamNTyme
...snip...
Forget about the money!!! Keep you and your family safe!
You need the best hitch!
We recommend Propride. ...snip..

This "either/or" position is what is tearing our country apart. Either you step up and get a PP or.....you are putting your family at risk. Either you get what I have or....you are going to kill your kids. What an amazing statement.

Again, I am not against the PP or HA hitches out there. If mine didn't work for me I would certainly look into one of these. The issue here is, my Equalizer does work for me so I will pass on moving "up". I am not closing doors though and if I go big some day I will have to reassess. I would just like to see us stop using fear as a motivator to join any particular club. And don't forget that if you leave your fridge running you are going to blow up. Such silly arguments.
Good Luck with your search.
.................................................. ......................................
Outstanding post 'Aftermath' ! Well said.
I also agree with points made by 'GrandTtimes & frankly Frank.

This is my second travel trailer, and I kept my Equalizer hitch when I sold the previous travel trailer. Works like a champ with 28' AS. It makes the AS feel as 'one' with the truck. It really shines on the two lane twisty roads of Virginia, west Virginia, & NC. Keeps the AS in line, every time I look in the mirror.

Tractor trailers don't upset my 'combo' even if they are rolling twenty mph faster than what I am, when they pass. I believe I have one of the 'stable' combinations as 'KK4YZ' described; with a tongue heavy AS, and a sure footed 'Ram'.

That's my experience for what its worth. Equalizer makes a great product, and it does help me keep my wife, cat & nieces safe on our travels. I don't think I need to 'upgrade' either.

Stay safe out there
Old 07-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #91
Smh
1 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Truckee , California
I own a PP and put about 3000 miles on it during a road trip this Spring. We experienced some very strong winds and barely felt them using the PP. Hitching and un hitching was easy with the exception of one site where the ground was uneven. An outstanding hitch in terms of performance due to the physics of the hitch.

With that being said, we’ve just recently switched to an Equalizer due to some challenging situations we experienced getting hitched back up. I thought if you paid careful attention to the hookup angles it shouldn’t be a problem. Easier said than done, at least for me. As an example, my driveway has the trailer on relatively level ground while the truck is at a 6 degree pitch and the yaw is such that I have to completely loosen one of the WD bars and hold it out of the way to lower the tongue jack. Un Hitching in that situation is easy but hitching back up has taken me up to 45 minutes. I’d say about 95% of the RV sites we’ve been to have not been a problem with the PP.

We are currently on a two month trip with friends and the Equalizer has been good so far with zero anxiety when hitching up. Maybe the hitching up problems with the PP is just me and not the hitch. I just didn’t want our friends having to wait 45 minutes for us to hook up. I really wish the PP had worked for me in all situations.
Smh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smh View Post
I own a PP and put about 3000 miles on it during a road trip this Spring. We experienced some very strong winds and barely felt them using the PP. Hitching and un hitching was easy with the exception of one site where the ground was uneven. An outstanding hitch in terms of performance due to the physics of the hitch.

With that being said, we’ve just recently switched to an Equalizer due to some challenging situations we experienced getting hitched back up. I thought if you paid careful attention to the hookup angles it shouldn’t be a problem. Easier said than done, at least for me. As an example, my driveway has the trailer on relatively level ground while the truck is at a 6 degree pitch and the yaw is such that I have to completely loosen one of the WD bars and hold it out of the way to lower the tongue jack. Un Hitching in that situation is easy but hitching back up has taken me up to 45 minutes. I’d say about 95% of the RV sites we’ve been to have not been a problem with the PP.

We are currently on a two month trip with friends and the Equalizer has been good so far with zero anxiety when hitching up. Maybe the hitching up problems with the PP is just me and not the hitch. I just didn’t want our friends having to wait 45 minutes for us to hook up. I really wish the PP had worked for me in all situations.

Thank you for sharing, that would be frustrating.

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyvekcat View Post
.................................................. ......................................
Outstanding post 'Aftermath' ! Well said.
I also agree with points made by 'GrandTtimes & frankly Frank.

This is my second travel trailer, and I kept my Equalizer hitch when I sold the previous travel trailer. Works like a champ with 28' AS. It makes the AS feel as 'one' with the truck. It really shines on the two lane twisty roads of Virginia, west Virginia, & NC. Keeps the AS in line, every time I look in the mirror.

Tractor trailers don't upset my 'combo' even if they are rolling twenty mph faster than what I am, when they pass. I believe I have one of the 'stable' combinations as 'KK4YZ' described; with a tongue heavy AS, and a sure footed 'Ram'.

That's my experience for what its worth. Equalizer makes a great product, and it does help me keep my wife, cat & nieces safe on our travels. I don't think I need to 'upgrade' either.

Stay safe out there

Thank you for sharing!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #94
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I'm pulling a 7K lb, 27ft SOB with a short bed F-150. Have 16k miles on my PP hitch. Been thru every kind of weather, rain, 40 mph wind, snow and ice (it was supposed to have been dry that day). To steal a line from the gecko - trailer follows the truck like a little puppy.
YMMV
Old 07-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
I'm pulling a 7K lb, 27ft SOB with a short bed F-150. Have 16k miles on my PP hitch. Been thru every kind of weather, rain, 40 mph wind, snow and ice (it was supposed to have been dry that day). To steal a line from the gecko - trailer follows the truck like a little puppy.

YMMV

Thank you for sharing!

WBCCI #8996
Old 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #96

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
FWIW, I’ll off opinions on the anti sway devices I have used. Most liked to least:
#1 Pro Pride. Some claim it’s like being on rails, not my opinion but it does handle very well. Extremely easy to hitch-unhitch. I just switched from a 30’ to a 27FB and changed to the straps instead of towers so my opinion of that may change.
#2 Equalizer 4 point. Every bit as solid as #1 but slightly more time to hitch-unhitch. Highly recommend.
#3 Eaz lift. This was most recently used on a F350 towing a FC30’ but I have used these for40+ years. Exhibited bad manners particularly just after cresting hilltops. A second anti sway device on the opposite side of the tongue calmed it down. Never had full confidence in it. Additional downsides , grease ! Leveraging chain tensioners.
#4 Reese Dual-Cam. I know some swear by them. I could never get it to work. Multiple attempts at adjustments by pros including Reese employee. It always felt like it was searching its way down the road.
Can’t offer opinions on any others.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
FWIW, I’ll off opinions on the anti sway devices I have used. Most liked to least:
#1 Pro Pride. Some claim it’s like being on rails, not my opinion but it does handle very well. Extremely easy to hitch-unhitch. I just switched from a 30’ to a 27FB and changed to the straps instead of towers so my opinion of that may change.
#2 Equalizer 4 point. Every bit as solid as #1 but slightly more time to hitch-unhitch. Highly recommend.
#3 Eaz lift. This was most recently used on a F350 towing a FC30’ but I have used these for40+ years. Exhibited bad manners particularly just after cresting hilltops. A second anti sway device on the opposite side of the tongue calmed it down. Never had full confidence in it. Additional downsides , grease ! Leveraging chain tensioners.
#4 Reese Dual-Cam. I know some swear by them. I could never get it to work. Multiple attempts at adjustments by pros including Reese employee. It always felt like it was searching its way down the road.
Can’t offer opinions on any others.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

WBCCI #8996