Old 06-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by klevan
Yes, you're right. I retract my statement. I really like your set-up. That picture of your Airstream behind the Toyota in front of Shiprock should be evidence enough to convince anyone. Will the '07 Tundra be offered with something bigger than the 4.7L V-8?
Yes it will have a 5.7L V-8 with a 10K towing weight limit. I think the Titan cost them some market share and now they are going to go back after it. Rumors of a diesel in the near future are still just rumors.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
A Five Ton Towing Toyota? Wow!

Originally Posted by azflycaster
Yes it will have a 5.7L V-8 with a 10K towing weight limit. I think the Titan cost them some market share and now they are going to go back after it. Rumors of a diesel in the near future are still just rumors.
That will definitely deserve a closer look. It would be nice to have that kind of towing capability and Toyota reliability to boot.

Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
I surrender it isn't sway

As all stated it is a slight pushing of the combined trailer and TV.
4CU Charter Member
1981 Excella 280 Turbo Diesel Motorhome
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #18
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I think Porky said it best, it's more like sucking.....

I propose we call it Semi-Suck

Man Law!

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Personal experience:
31ft Classic: about 8000 lbs loaded
Ford F-250; about 7000 lbs loaded.
Reese Dual Cam 1200 Lb bars. (real heavy)
Purchased trailer and hitch from a well known Airstream Dealer. They knew airstreams very well.
Towed from NC to MT. Swayed badly at times. Always felt trucks passing. Almost lost control once. Scared the pooooh out of me.
Towed the trailer from MT to NE Oregon. Stopped in at Airstream of Spokane. AMong other things I had the tech look at my Hitch set up. He did some measuring and figuring. Moved the cams and the locking thingys back several inches. Changed the tilt on the head and tighened up the chains one link. What a difference!
Smooth and stable.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I found in just two towing experiences load distribution inside the trailer is a third piece of the puzzle that makes a real difference thanks to the advise of the good folks on this forum. I life all things require balance, Grasshopper.

When we picked up our 30' Safari, we had the bed of the truck pretty well loaded with "stuff". On our way to the campground for the week end we had absolutely no sway. Semis were not felt coming up along side of us at all. Then we loaded all of the "stuff" in the bed of the truck into the trailer, most of which was kitchen stuff, almost all of which wound up on the road side of the trailer. The remaining two hours home I got sway from Honda Accords passing me on the interstate. You can imagine the effect of semis...sucking big time!

For the second outing, I checked the torque on the lug nuts (they were practically at the max 120 ft/lbs), redistributed the load in the trailer and we headed out. Not all of the sway was gone, but 99% of it was. Plus we added a lot more "stuff" inside the trailer with the truck bed empty. Had I had the right size socket, I would have re-torqued the bolts on the hitch head just to make sure and with the proper time I would have re-measured the TV load distribution and adjusted the hitch head washers of my Equal-i-zer hitch to reset the tilt of the hitch head if it needed it. That I will do next week end when I have a little more time and the 15/16th in. socket.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
WD Hitch: TV Level or how much rear sag?

We ended up with a Reese trunion style hitch. Our old EA-Z-Lift hitch head wasn't adjustable for height and we needed it 4" higher per the 19-1/2" distance to top of ball spec'd for our '78 Argosy 24. The trailer came with the 800# torsion bars and the attachments on the tongue. Had an old Equalizer head which I salvaged the adjustable reciever mount from. Getting the hitch high right and the location of the chain attachments made a big difference.

Here's the deal. I set up the Reese with the recommended starting point. Seven washers I think. I measured the rig on level ground and each wheel well on the TV was down 1" from where it sits unloaded. I towed it like this and it was fine but according to the Reese instructions the rear of the TV should have an 1" more sag than the front. I tried using one less link and that set the rig up per the Reese instructions (1" more in back). Thing is it towed noticably worse; pretty damn bad actually. I took out one washer and put the links back where they were; essentially a "1/2 link" adjustment. This gave me a 1/2" difference between the front and back wheel wells on the TV. It was much better than with a full 1" difference but certainly no better than with the TV level. In fact I'd say marginally worse. Given that we were packed light and if I ever have to haul fresh water to a site I'm going to have substantially more hitch weight I think I'm going be to the level set-up.

How much, if any differential do you have between front and rear suspension loading with the WD hitch? Has anyone else experience better results with the TV level?

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Agree here with pretty much all ideas as posted .The durango 4x4 is fine and its not that small ,has plenty of mass to it so the trailer doesn't controll it.The proper hitch as all have stated and WD CORRECTLY setup and loaded
should eliminate any sway or somthings definatley wrong .The truck trailer thing does give a pull due to the airpressure between the passing of the semi from behind,and it may just feel like a tugging on your tv and airstream .I have a 60 tradewind ,single axle leaf springs and never any sway.The statement about the torsion axle being better due to what? I know the design and function of the torsion ,cannot see it affecting sway .The roundness of airstreams in windy conditions is a proven design in itself to controll being pushed around .This torsion business is really hyped up more than it needs to be .They are independent in wheel movement and smooth
and I agree that independent suspension on most vehicals is better than not
but they are not magic axles and have there own issues ,namely worn out ,cannot be repaired ,must be replaced .My hadco 5200# trdwnd axle
going strong and they don't break .

scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:22 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
After changing out my axles and tires, I had quite a bit of sway. BUT, I was not running a WD hitch or sway control. My quick fix on the first voyage after changing things was to fill the empty fresh water tank all the way. Wow! What a difference, but still a little sway. I bought a Reese hitch head and started using the WD bars and rusty old sway bar that came with the trailer. That made a tremendous difference. Upgrading my truck from a single cab to an extended cab was the "frosting on the cake" for me. Now it pulls like a fifth wheel!

2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote