Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

2006 23' Safari SE
Huffman , Texas
swaybar

I recently purchased a 2011 27' international. I previously owned a 23' safari. The 23' towed like a dream without a swaybar. Will I need one for the 27'?
gwag23018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the Airforums! Glad your here with us...

Congrats on the new International. I think you would be wise to go with the sway control for the safety aspect.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Any sway control is much better than none, and sway elimination is the best by far. And, welcome to the forum.

Take a look at the ProPride hitch: Trailer Sway Elimination | Sway Control | Truck RV Trailer Hitch Accessories | ProPride, Inc.

Not cheap, but then neither is you trailer, your tow vehicle, or most especially, your life.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sway Control

Greetings gwag23018!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwag23018 View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 27' international. I previously owned a 23' safari. The 23' towed like a dream without a swaybar. Will I need one for the 27'?
I wouldn't want to forego the inexpensive insurance that sway control provides when towing even my 6.0 Metre Minuet. I utilize the classic "clamp-on" Reese Dual-Cam Sway control on both my Overlander and Minuet. My suggestion, however, would be to steer clear of friction sway control bars and go with either a Reese Dual-Cam or an Equal-I-Zer hitch. With the hitches that have built-in sway control, you aren't faced with the necessity of stopping to adjust the bar tension when the weather or road conditions change.

The following is quoted directly from the owner's manual for a typical friction-type sway control:

• When towing during slippery conditions such as wet, icy, or snow-covered roads or on loose gravel, turn on/off handle (5) counterclockwise until all tension is removed from unit. Failure to do so could prevent tow vehicle and trailer from turning properly.
  • On some installations, damage to the sway control may occur during extremely sharp turning maneuvers. This can be checked by slowly backing vehicle into a jackknife position while someone is watching. Do not allow slide bar to contract completely (bottom out) or bumper to contact sway control. If it looks as though contact will be made or the sway control will bottom out then the sway control must be removed before backing trailer. This is a nuisance that you don't encounter with hitches that have the sway control built-in.
  • Trailer configurations and loading, road and weather conditions, towing speed, tire condition and pressure, and center of gravity of trailer all affect towing. To get maximum benefits from the sway control assembly, a series of road tests should be taken with the loaded trailer. On subsequent trips increase or decrease tension by turning the adjusting bolt (7) in 1/4 turn increments in the direction shown on the label until the desired control is achieved. For large trailers, it may be necessary to install a second sway control unit. With hitches that have the built-in sway control, the only adjustments that are necessary occur when there is either a significant change in trailer loading or the tow vehicle utilized to tow the trailer.
  • After about 1000 miles of towing, remove the slide bar from the sway control and clean the friction surfaces with a wire brush. Repeat this cleaning procedure about every 10,000. Hitches having the built-in sway control require very little if any specialized ongoing maintenance beyond that required by the weight distribution hitch upon which it is based.
It was a great relief when Reese finally clarified its recommendations on use of the Dual Cam Sway Control. At one time, their recommendation was to avoid its use on coaches with a gross weight of less than 4,000. Several years ago the recommendation was clarified with the modification to the recommendation that the Dual Cam system is perfectly functional as long as the coach has at least 400 pounds on the hitch weight. The vast majority of Airstreams quailfy for Reese Dual Cam based upon this recommendation - - even my 6.0 Minuet with a gross weight of 3,200 pounds carries in excess of 500 pounds on the hitch so it lives an easy life with its Reese Dual Cam.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We have a 24' TW. I installed a sway bar after a fellow Streamer noticed an occasional 'wiggle' in my coach when he was following. The 'wiggle' really never transfered to the car TV. I took his advise and installed one bar even though my hitch is set up for two. I guess I had been oblivious to any 'wiggles' because I noticed the difference. Try one first (they are not that pricey) and see for any better 'feel'. You can't go wrong anyway (I know... sumtin else to hook up!) but it is a safe way to go.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

I got along with one sway bar for my 27 footer, no problems.

But, when I found that it would cost me all of $50 or so to add a second sway bar, I did that too.

Now, really-really no problems with sway.

Nothing like belts and suspenders for us neurotics.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwag23018 View Post
What are you towing with? Are you using a weight distributing hitch?