Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2000 31' Land Yacht
Had the same sway problems towing my 2000 Safari 25 SS with my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Changing to a LT tire totally solved the problem. The sidewalls on the P tires were not stiff enough.

jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Kevin

I am starting to feel old I am likely one of the few that has also towed with an Eldorado but it was 30 years ago. At the time they were one of the most stable tow vehicles available and we never had an issue towing the 70's 31' Airstreams.

I would agree that LT tires would improve the handling but you won't find them with white walls. The problem may very well be your Reese Torsion Bars. Are they the trunion style or what they call the round bar style that insert from below?

Andrew T

Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sway Issues First Time in 15 Years

The good news is that I can now, with fair certainty, attribute the problem to the Cadillac. I switched tow vehicles yesterday for my old standby, the 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban. Traveresed the same route that had plagued the Cadillac with nary a problem. The winds were gusty, rain was falling, and semis were out in full-force. I made the 55 mile trip to Whittington Woods Campground near Benton, IL with absolutely no hint of sway -- and that included some very gusty thunderstorm winds as well as some heavy rain.

After carefully examining the hitch on the Cadillac, I believe that I may have spotted the problem. I hadn't noted this in my towing log, and since it has been a bit more than three years since I had this combination out it didn't register until I was halfway to Whittington Woods.

Evidently the new "hook" style weight distribution bars are just enough shorter than the old straight bars with separate saddles that the new bars just weren't seating properly on the saddles -- they were riding high and I am speculating that they may have been inducing rather than controlling sway.

My project for mid-week is to dig out my old 800 pound straight bars and try setting the Cadillac up with them and see if that makes a difference. I would rather not have to move the Dual Cam brackets each time I switch between the Cadillac and Suburban if using the older straight style weight distribution bars will cure the problem. Planned test is Wednesday -- I am hoping that it will be successful as I am hoping to avoid purchasing another set of tires for this car as these only have about 6,000 miles and two years of use.

P.S.: All four of my hitches are Reese Trunion styel (two for both the Suburban and Cadillac to accommodate towing either the Minuet (2 5/16" ball) or the Overlander (2" ball)). I am not a fan of tinkering with the hitch once it is properly adjusted so it seemed prudent to have multiple hitch heads set up for the two tow vehicles.
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Kevin

I think your right, the bars are not sitting on the cams they will induce sway.

Back in the day we used to use a friction control along with the straight line and it seemed to help, it also provided some dampening in turns or when you went to zero hitch weight in a dip.

Andrew T
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Its the tires. I too towed with a cadillac sedan deville, and new tires wreaked havock with the towing, caused by weak sidewalls. Replaced tires, problem gone.
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
It sounds like you may have found your problem with the spring bars. I run the same Cooper Tire on my tow vehicle but have not had the same problems that you have experienced. I also have a different hitch setup. Good Luck.
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I've had no experience with the Cooper tire brand, but I have had a few tires in the past that just needed some miles on them before they felt right. Don't know if that may apply to you or not.

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Excellent information by OP!! Love to read threads that include the information we can all use, directly or indirectly!

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote

carlisle, hitch, reese, tires, wheels