Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Would a trailer be more stable if you had two balls several inches apart? Are two pivot points better than one? This is one of things I think of in idle moments.

Gene

Yep!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Selking View Post
Sway control will not help in ice or snow or heavy rain. Slowing down helps but even at that I have seen big rigs come around going 10 to 15 on ice or snow. Best place to be is at home parked. Airsteams do not like ice, snow, or rain.
I got caught east of Ruidoso New Mexico about 20 years ago with a 79 31' Excella 500 in freezing precipitation. I dialed in the trailer brakes and slowed down to about 35 or so. It wiggled about three times but when I manually applied trailer brakes it would quickly straighten out. It then began to snow and snow hard when we got off the mountain. Road conditions were not bad until we got to Texas where the roads had not been plowed. I kept pussing on toward civilization and was driving in 8" of snow before long. The road was only one lane so someone had to pull into snow when meeting. The Airstream never wiggled at all in the snow. I was impressed with its tracking in the snow.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Bob, did I just invent the Hensley? Where's my cut of the profits?

I knew those 2 months in college when I was an engineering major would help someday. Of course, I realized at 2 months that engineering cut into my drinking schedule and switched to liberal arts.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The situation that the OP talks about is one that no engineer or users will agree on which hitch would have "saved the day", if any.

The newer types of hitches that eliminate sway are fantastic (I have the ProPride), and they are so far superior to the previous types, there is really no comparison. If you ever tow with one, you will never go back to ancient technology. Well, never unless you are in the business to sell the lesser hitches. Yes, they are more expensive, but to get more, most times you have to spend more, and how much money do you have invested in your tow vehicle and trailer, not to mention you and your family's life.
Well said Steve....most who question the haha and pp have never used them!

Sweet Streams

Bob