Old 01-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
What I would like to see is a requirement for those towing without sway control to display a larger warning sign on the rear of the trailer, similar to the slow vehicle warning signs. I can remember three separate occasions (two when I was towing a travel trailer) where I have had to preform rather drastic evasive maneuvers to avoid some one in front of me who was in the process of losing control of their trailer. Two were large utility trailers and one a boat trailer. In none of the incidents was I following very close, but once they start swerving all over road they also slow quickly.
regards,
Ken

Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
examine_illustration

While reading about an accident in a recent thread, I had also
noticed concerning movements when 18 wheelers passed me
going in the same direction.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
This will bring a lot of flack but......I tow with a F350( way to much truck) and don't feel or see the need for W/D or sway hitches. On my trailer I mean. But I drive slow 60-65 mph. I downshift on down grades. If you want to be safe then by all means install disc brakes on your trailer etc. I saw on this forum a picture somebody took of their speedo while driving 85 mph or so while towing the Airstream. If you drive like that then use sway control and get LOTS of insurance. With your truck if you drive a prudent speed and load your trailer properly(10-15% tongue weight) I feel you will be fine. Adios, John
You may not need weight distribution on your truck. The stiff suspension will make it difficult to affectively transfer weight to the front. However, you can get sway hitches that do not distribute weight. Not being an expert, I can't tell you that you do or do not need sway control, but if it were me, I'd feel a lot safer with the insurance of having it than not. Like I said earlier (my personal opinion), when a law suit is filed is too late to install it.

Just my $.02.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
If you get hit with a blast of air from a passing big rig...as illustrated
in post#16 above.......
Old 01-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethowens View Post
If you get hit with a blast of air from a passing big rig...as illustrated
in post#16 above.......
Ken.

A little trick that works very well, in that situation, is to "ever so slightly" apply the trailer brakes by manual operation of the brake controller, as the truck/trailer is over taking your rig.

With a little practice, you can get it down to a fine art.

Also, should something really go wrong, since your hand is on the controller, partially apply trailer brakes, you could if need be, apply all the trailer braking, without having to touch the brakes on the TV.

That little trick, worked very well for me.

Andy
Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Thanks Andy! I've been around this subject already. I joined a bit for
the new members.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
You may not need weight distribution on your truck. The stiff suspension will make it difficult to affectively transfer weight to the front. However, you can get sway hitches that do not distribute weight. Not being an expert, I can't tell you that you do or do not need sway control, but if it were me, I'd feel a lot safer with the insurance of having it than not. Like I said earlier (my personal opinion), when a law suit is filed is too late to install it.

Just my $.02.
At the Arizona Proving Ground we tested pickup trucks, and SUVs. Duribility testing it was called. We ran tens of thousands of miles of trailer tow annually on public highways with trailers loaded to GVW for that particular rig.To my knowledge we never used sway control. I'm thinking if lawsuits were an issue we would have used such equipment.
Adios, John
Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
At the Arizona Proving Ground we tested pickup trucks, and SUVs. Duribility testing it was called. We ran tens of thousands of miles of trailer tow annually on public highways with trailers loaded to GVW for that particular rig.To my knowledge we never used sway control. I'm thinking if lawsuits were an issue we would have used such equipment.
Adios, John
A sway control, is like insurance. None of us needs it, until something happens.

When you don't need it, it's a waste of money.

BUT when you do need it, it's way too late. All to many times, owners like that say "I should have listened".

The vast majority of people that tow travel trailers, have a sway control.

The vast minority, that don't believe in them, don't.

Ever wonder why it's that way???

It is dollars? Could it be they have a magic truck? Could it be they love crossing the line? Could it be they don't really know? Or, could it be, they don't really care???

Andy
Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Adios, John
Were they tests on closed loops that had no public access? Were they trailers that typically have sway control on public roads (boat trailer vs. travel trailer)? Are we more litigious now that we were then?

If closed loops, then any injuries would have been covered by Worker's Comp and probably no lawsuits would have pursued. Just my guess.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Don't know what year your F250 Ford is but in the owners manual for my 2005 it has a section about trailer towing and weights. Check out the difference your T/V manufacturer shows for allowed GVWR and tongue weight equalized and non-equalized. Your tongue weight alone is heavy than allowed unequalized. Sometimes insurance adjusters get mighty picky about settling claims when you technically are operating the vehicle overloaded. I'm not a fan of insurance companies or lawyers but sometimes there is a reason they post safe operation specs. Good Luck
Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
All new trailers delivered to dealers are towed with out sway control which is an aftermarket accessory. I have towed several 100 K delivering new trailers using a load equalizing hitch but no sway control with never a problem. I use a 3/4 ton truck which is lighter than yours. I do not ever exceed the 60 or 65 mph speed range because when things go wrong they happen fast. I do not use sway control on my tradewind which is the trailer I use most.
Common sense driving is the key.

While the transport company I work for has occasionally wrecked a trailer I don't personally know of any that were sway related

While it is an individual choice, with your rig I would be quite comfortable with out it.

Do I need to put a bunch of legal disclaimers here ???
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Reduce the Risk

It all boils down to reducing the risk.

WDH's,
sway control devices,
high end hitches (ie Hensley),
modern vehicles with electronic stability controls and ABS brakes

are all products that "reduce the risk" of a negative incident. In many cases they also improve the overall ride (towing experience) immensely.

For the extra cost these products are a steal/deal!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
I have the privilege of working for NASA. We have a saying: "Gravity--it's not just a good idea, it's the Law!"

The laws of physics may seem to be tempted, ignored, circumvented, or, as most usually preceeds catastrophy, just not fully comprehended. But they are the law and will prevail.

So for me and my rig: No anti-sway, No Drive-away! We use the Reese Dual Cam system, and it's been a good deal, except the one time I hooked it up wrong and it scared me...six links on one side, seven on the other...

Good luck and best wishes!
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSChanger View Post
I have the privilege of working for NASA. We have a saying: "Gravity--it's not just a good idea, it's the Law!"

The laws of physics may seem to be tempted, ignored, circumvented, or, as most usually preceeds catastrophy, just not fully comprehended. But they are the law and will prevail.
I thought Albert put that to rest. Gravity as an attractive force between objects is actually misperception of the warping of the space/ time continuum. Sway must fit in there somewhere