Old 03-11-2003, 01:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Passing trucks

Quote:
I can still feel the trucks go by, but it's a lot better than without.
Nothing short of magic will prevent you from feeling the trucks go by. The trucks push a wall of air in front of them that will require a steering correction in any vehicle, towing or not. It's a fact of life. In my case, the truck with trailer is more stable than the truck alone.

I follow the Reese instructions by tightening the sway bar until the handle is parallel with the ground. I never bother releasing it before backing into a site. There is no reason it will be harmed as long as the trailer is not totally jacknifed.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:49 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Sway control

I appreciate the info on both types friction & dual . I also was thinking " what if " we up size in the future. probably won't, but ----. The friction control sounds as if it takes more attention, what with tightening, looseing in town, backing up. Is the dual cam the same or is it set & forget unless your load changes ?
thanks

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by JaceBeck
FYI-There is a new High Performance Dual Cam out from Reese for 2003 that may be worth a look. You can see it at www.reeseproducts.com
Went there and looked at all the new 2003 products. I don't see anything new for the Dual Cam. I went to the Dual Cam page and it shows only one available which is the same one I am using.

Do you have any further info?

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 04:57 PM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Sway control

Quote:
Originally posted by A.E. Milliman
I Is the dual cam the same or is it set & forget unless your load changes ?
thanks
The dual cam works on a different principal than a friction control. Once installed it needs no adjustments. Here is a small blurb from the Reese web site.

Jack

Dual Cam Sway Control
PN 26000
This patented product is Reese Products main technique for controlling trailer sway. Unlike the friction sway control, this approach works to control sway from the start rather than just resisting sway once it's begun and it works only when needed. When towing in a straight line, the cams on either side of the trailer A-frame are locked in position. This essentially creates a "rigid" connection between tow vehicle and trailer and minimizes the effects of induced sway caused by high cross-winds or passing vehicles.

The advantage of the dual cam system is its ability to forestall sway in addition to sway resistance. It works to hold down the start of swaying activity while at the same time allowing free and easy vehicle and trailer interaction. Another advantage of the dual cam system is that it's installed on the trailer and therefore doesn't require adjustment every time the towing vehicle and trailer are hooked up, unless hitch weight or tow vehicle loading are changed.

Usually, the cams ride in a detent locked-in position, even on fairly sharp curves. However, when cornering maneuvers are required, the cams automatically slide out of their detent to permit full radius turns. Yet when the maneuver is short and abrupt, like that encountered in the event of a sudden swerve or a wheel dropping off the road, the cams seek a straight-line towing angle that helps the tow vehicle retain control.
AIR #56
Old 03-11-2003, 10:12 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Jack,
The new models are on the dual cam page, but you have to scroll down to see it and their new Strait-Line Hitch. I found it by accident. I don't see a whole lot of difference from the Dual Cam that you use, except the frame mounting method. Here is the copy from the webpage. Its P/N 26002.

Dual Cam HIGH PERFORMANCE

This patented product is Reese Products main technique for controlling trailer sway. Unlike the friction sway control, this approach works to control sway from the start rather than just resisting sway once itís begun. And it works only when needed.

The advantage of the dual cam system is its ability to forestall sway in addition to sway resistance. It works to hold down the start of swaying activity while at the same time allowing free and easy vehicle and trailer interaction. Another advantage of the dual cam system is that itís installed on the trailer and therefore doesnít require adjustment every time the towing vehicle and trailer are hooked up, unless hitch weight or tow vehicle loading are changed.

Integrated cams into the spring bars reduce noise

No U-bolts to conflict with bottle racks or other A-frame mounted items

Specific attachment reference points provided

Simple, easy adjustment of centerline

Fits more applications

Improved installation times

Years of extensive field testing

Dual Cam HP Sway Control
PN 26002

Dual Cam HIGH PERFORMANCE
Part No. Description

26002 Hi-Performance sway control
Old 03-12-2003, 10:28 AM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Jace,
One thing caught my eye. "No U-bolts to conflict with bottle racks or other A-frame mounted items". That's the biggest issue most new Safari folks have with the Dual-Cam is the U-bolt placement relative to the bottle racks.

My dealer drilled through the rack and I had to raise the tanks slightly to keep the top of the U-bolt from resting on the bottom center of the tank. I also remember that on my SOB the dealer had to relocate the bottle rack to clear the U-bolt.

Thanks for the further info. I just went back and found it.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 03-12-2003, 11:23 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

The term equalizer hitch seems to be misused a lot I have noticec. Equl-i-zer is the name brand for a hitch that is a weight distributing hitch with a sway control built into the design. When you say wou have an equalizer hitch and need sway control, I think you mean you have a weight distributing hitch and need sway control. If you do indeed have an Equal-i-zer hitch you already have sway control.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:05 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jack,

That is one of the best descriptions of the dual cam I have seen. I think it's great info.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 03-12-2003, 02:59 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
sway control

Jace--appreciate the info regarding the high performance dual sway control. I was wondering regarding the u-bolts, but that high performance appears to solve the problem. Thanks again
Best

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 08:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Ok I just had to brag I think I just scored a lightly used Reese with dual cam for under $200.
I been shoping as well and for the size of our camper and my budget the Dual cam fit the bill and this one just fell in my lap. One of the guys in my 4x4 club just put it up for sale today.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:21 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Sway Control

I had been struggling with the decision of which sway control to utilize with my '78 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre.

During the '80s, I had my fill of friction sway controls with the tighten the control one revolution for high winds or heavy truck traffic; loosen 3/4 to one revolution for rain or slippery conditions; and reverse the process to normal once the unpleasantry had passed - - not a fun RVing expereince. I had learned through Reese at that time that the Dual Cam System was not recommended for trailers under 4,000 pounds and my trailer at that time was just a little over 3,500 pounds loaded for a vacation.

When I was setting up my tow system for the Minuet, I checked with my dealer and was told that the same basic guide was still in use. Given the postings here, I decided to contact Reese Technical Support for their recommendation. I received a message from their engineering department that basically said that so long as the tongue weight is 400 pounds or greater and there is enough room to mount the arms on the hitch then it is possible to use it with smaller trailers.

My currrent friction control on the Minuet is on its way out. According to my calcualations based on the optional equipment weight calculator that is a part of my Minuet literature, my hitch weight on the 6.0 Metre will be approximately 409 pounds once the air conditioner is added this Spring. As it sits, the Minuet has a hitch weight of 395 pounds. It will be nice to have the same peace of mind sway control with the Minuet that I have enjoyed on my Overlander since 1995.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote