Old 07-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I don't believe y'all are saying sway control is not needed!:

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by techiej View Post
Depending upon the year and configuration of your P/U you might be OK without...key word being might.

Our 2011 Sierra has weight distriubution (for the truck) built-in so that when we hook-up our 34' Classic Limited the front & rear drop by the same amount (we also confirmed via weighing before & after).

Ours also has sway control built-in. This is not based upon the mounting/bars but uses the stabil-a-track on the truck to adjust wheel braking AND trailer braking to detect and correct any detected sway.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but the following is my opinion.

Any system built into a truck is not weight control. It is simply a leveling system. A leveling system hides but does not eliminate the need for weight distribution. The purpose of weight distribution, is to spread the tongue weight in the proper proportion between trailer axles and front and rear tow vehicle axles. With your leveling system you still have less weight on the front axles when towing than when not. This will contribute to vehicle instability. This instability is also masked by your stabil-a-track.

It is my opinion that having computerized systems in the tow vehicle that mask the effects of improper rigging is not a safe way to tow.

Personally I want the sway eliminated or greatly reduced in the trailer/tow vehicle rigging with a hitch system designed for that purpose. I would not be comfortable with a computer constantly making braking actions to eliminate the effects of sway that would not be there with a properly designed mechanical system.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mesquite , Texas
To the original poster --

I have a 2009 2500HD truck with the diesel engine. I tow a 2008 27FB that is never, ever fully loaded or near it's max weight. I use a Reese Dual Cam setup with 800 Lb bars. I have towed it in many conditions including dirt roads in the mountains of Colorado, West TX interstates at 100+ degrees and 75 MPH as well as Midwestern highways in the winter with snow on the ground.

Never felt the trailer sway at all... It is just "back there" following obediently along behind the truck.

The other day, I went to pick up the trailer for a trip and forgot to bring my WD / Sway bars. It's only about 40 miles back to my house but you could certainly feel a difference. Nothing felt "dangerous" but it didn't feel quite as stable either. Just a little more wiggling here and there. It isn't too hard to imagine that the right conditions could certainly cause trouble even with this combo. A little wiggle turns into a bigger oscillation. Loose a little traction somewhere along the way then you have your hands really full.

Personally, I stay in the "better safe than sorry" camp when I have the opportunity. There certainly isn't any downside to having some really dialed in sway control.
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
I towed a 1993 25' Airstream for several years with the Reese W/D hitch, plus the Reese friction anti-sway bar; I now have the Reese dual cam hitch on a 2002 30' Airstream and must say there is a noticeable difference.

With the Reese dual cam hitch, I barely notice when a large truck passes. Previously, with the Reese W/D hitch, I could feel the movement most every time when a truck would pass.

I highly recommend the Reese dual cam hitch, however, I feel sure others might work as well.

Good luck.

tinman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A very large majority of Forum members will recommend sway control along with a weight distribution hitch. There is considerable disagreement about what hitch to use and you can search for threads on hitches and read for a long time. Some say a really big truck and a smaller trailer mean you don't need sway control; maybe they are right, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

I too am skeptical about electrical leveling systems, but maybe they do distribute weight, but they won't provide sway control. I think I have seen it recommended to turn off that system when towing.

Without sway control, you may not notice anything, but if you are in a bad situation, I would think you would want everything you can have to prevent a serious accident. If you follow a trailer weaving down the road, you may notice when you pass him he has no sway control system. He may not know the trailer is weaving or may think it is normal.

Check the website of the manufacturer of your WD hitch. That should tell you whether it also has sway control. The person that told you it was ok may not know what he/she was talking about.

We have an Equalizer hitch and it does both. It has always worked well for us. It is easy to attach and remove and you can back up with it. It takes some adjusting to get it right and dealers don't always adjust hitches properly because it means time and time reduces profits. Any hitch may need adjusting and you should learn how to do it to make sure it is done right.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #20

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Originally Posted by gwag23018 View Post
I have a 27 foot airsteam that I am towing with a 3/4 ton chev deisel pickup. Do I need sway bars? I have weight distrubtor hitch and was told that would be sufficient.
How much do you have invested in your TV and trailer? Why wouldn't a little spent on safety and peace of mind be worth it?

If not for you then for your fellow travelers.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
How much do you have invested in your TV and trailer? Why wouldn't a little spent on safety and peace of mind be worth it?

If not for you then for your fellow travelers.
Absolute AMEN.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Mine is a Reese Pro Series.

Looks like this:

Is this considered anti sway or weight control system?. I ask because this is what I have I need the adjustable ball head though mine is setup for a car not truck to high.
1976 Airstream Sovereign International Landyacht (renovating)(found DOM plate said 1976)
1968 Airstream Caravel 17 footer

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #23
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Is this considered anti sway or weight control system?. I ask because this is what I have I need the adjustable ball head though mine is setup for a car not truck to high.
That is a weight distribution system.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote