Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by patis View Post
I forgot to mention one more thing. I have done some research and figured out that it is a weight distribution system. My truck has an automatic levelling feature which is part of the 4MATIC air suspension.
Quote:
Thanks Andy: That's what I had suspected. I am glad I didn't buy a new hitch setup for the WDH.
Quote:
Correct.
Can I still use a WDH to reduce tongue weight with levelling air suspension?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
There is only ONE WAY, none other.

You must defeat the auto leveling system, so that it cannot activate, and drop the air pressure to minimum.

Anything short of that will defeat the purpose of the load equalizing hitch, no if's, and's or but's. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Andy
It is impossible, and dangerous to defeat that air suspension. Many people use WD hitches with air ride suspensions, it is no longer 1974 when an air ride suspension was an aftermarket or delicate experimental device. If you insist that air ride suspensions cannot be used to tow with a WD system, you are saying that hundreds of thousands of vehicles designed specifically to tow trailers are not able to do so. The Volkswagen Toureg, Lincoln Navigator, Mercedes SUV's, Ford Expedition, Chevy Suburban are all vehicles you say are not capable of towing an Airstream.
As in all things, common sense should prevail, and making blanket statements based on 40-year-old data, when 40 years of progress in the field of vehicle suspensions has been made is tantamount to being a technological Luddite.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Air Suspension Myth.

Hi, I have been towing for over five years with a vehicle with rear air suspension.

(1.) Nothing in my Airstream owner's manual states that I can't tow my trailer with a vehicle with air suspension.

(2.) My Lincoln has rear air suspension and a factory tow package. Why would they build it this way if you can't tow with it?

(3.) My Lincoln owner's manual gives detailed instructions on how to set up a WD hitch system in conjunction with the air suspension.

(4.) Final step, Turn air suspension back on.

Read the manuals that came from the company who built your vehicles. Not the manual in the museum for hitching the twenty mule team to your new conestoga wagon.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Lexus GX470

Mine has air suspension which begins to activate when the rig is hooked up. Never had a problem and it is easy to disconnect the trailer by hitting the lower button.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Mine has air suspension which begins to activate when the rig is hooked up. Never had a problem and it is easy to disconnect the trailer by hitting the lower button.
The real answer comes from the scales.

What are the weights on the front and rear axle of the TV with the air system active, and what is it without?

The typical answers, will probably shock you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote