Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use a ProPride (Hensley design) hitch on our 2012 Ram 120" wheelbase for exceptional stability and comfort in all towing conditions. Tried Equal-I-Zer and Andersen brands but were pushed around by passing semis and buffeting sidebands; that is no longer a problem.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
08 Jeep GC CRD towing 2011 FC23FB using 10K Equalizer. Completely stable in all conditions for 30k miles. Taking delivery of 2024 Jeep GC Diesel and will use the same hitch.

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
My previous tow vehicle was an F-150 5.4 liter and it was a good tow vehicle, but I always felt like I could use a little more power and an extra gear. Fuel economy was downright horrible at 8 to 10 mpg. I used an Equal-i-zer brand hitch because that's what came with the trailer.

The Equal-i-zer worked well, but as Can-Am's studies have shown, it puts an enormous amount of stress on the trailer and hitch when entering pitched driveways because the square bars don't flex. As direct evidence of this, my Equal-i-zer hitch head welds cracked after about three years and 60,000 miles of towing.

Equal-i-zer promptly replaced the head, but I got Can-Am's recommendation on a proper setup and ordered the bare-bones EaZ-Lift with 1,000 pound round tapered bars that properly flex when entering pitched driveways.

Those round tapered bars also made a HUGE improvement in the ride of the truck. Much softer and more comfortable.

I have since replaced the F-150 with a VW Touareg diesel and the EaZ-Lift hitch moved to the new tow vehicle and continues to perform beautifully with 30,000 miles of towing on the odometer.

As for weigh distribution... the manual does indeed say not to use a weight distribution hitch. The receiver is mounted to the bumper and the bumper mounts to the frame using 8 large bolts. The concern is that the torque twisting upward to move weight forward to the front axle will fatigue the bolts over time.

Since I have a fairly heavy tongue weight and tow a lot of miles, I had Can-Am reinforce my hitch. They ran steel from the receiver down to the suspension mounts giving me a three-point hitch mount which simply can't twist. $300 for that peace of mind is cheap insurance in my book.

The 3.0 liter diesel with 8-speed transmission that you will be getting in your Cayenne is astounding. I don't even try to explain how well that engine tows because most people think I'm full of ----. I tow 66 mph and regularly fall in the 16 to 17 mpg range. The lowest so far has been 14.8 mpg into a strong headwind. Highest of 18.2 mpg with a good tailwind... and I only have the 6-speed.

Good choice. You will not regret it.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
My previous tow vehicle was an F-150 5.4 liter and it was a good tow vehicle, but I always felt like I could use a little more power and an extra gear. Fuel economy was downright horrible at 8 to 10 mpg. I used an Equal-i-zer brand hitch because that's what came with the trailer.

The Equal-i-zer worked well, but as Can-Am's studies have shown, it puts an enormous amount of stress on the trailer and hitch when entering pitched driveways because the square bars don't flex. As direct evidence of this, my Equal-i-zer hitch head welds cracked after about three years and 60,000 miles of towing.

Equal-i-zer promptly replaced the head, but I got Can-Am's recommendation on a proper setup and ordered the bare-bones EaZ-Lift with 1,000 pound round tapered bars that properly flex when entering pitched driveways.

Those round tapered bars also made a HUGE improvement in the ride of the truck. Much softer and more comfortable.

I have since replaced the F-150 with a VW Touareg diesel and the EaZ-Lift hitch moved to the new tow vehicle and continues to perform beautifully with 30,000 miles of towing on the odometer.

As for weigh distribution... the manual does indeed say not to use a weight distribution hitch. The receiver is mounted to the bumper and the bumper mounts to the frame using 8 large bolts. The concern is that the torque twisting upward to move weight forward to the front axle will fatigue the bolts over time.

Since I have a fairly heavy tongue weight and tow a lot of miles, I had Can-Am reinforce my hitch. They ran steel from the receiver down to the suspension mounts giving me a three-point hitch mount which simply can't twist. $300 for that peace of mind is cheap insurance in my book.

The 3.0 liter diesel with 8-speed transmission that you will be getting in your Cayenne is astounding. I don't even try to explain how well that engine tows because most people think I'm full of ----. I tow 66 mph and regularly fall in the 16 to 17 mpg range. The lowest so far has been 14.8 mpg into a strong headwind. Highest of 18.2 mpg with a good tailwind... and I only have the 6-speed.

Good choice. You will not regret it.
Mine is a similar story and will hopefully give the OP some additional thoughts about how he's going to hitch up with an SUV, which is not so different my my minivan.

Like Tin Loaf, Can Am beefed up my after market "Hidden Hitch" receiver, to resist that WD torque and to help transfer the weight forward; it certainly does that. They then fitted the bare-bones Eaz-Lift system with the tapered bars, adjusted it to suit my needs and voila, a functioning system that is quite gentle on the Airstream, transfers the weight I need transferring and it tows very well. There are a couple of friction anti-sway bars on there as well, of course.

Ensuring that the receiver is strong enough seems to be the key with many tow vehicles, not just SUVs.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #33

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
??? Really ??? I think someone has been very lucky I did not know there was a trailer out there that follows the exact path when turning.
Regarding our trailer following neatly in the path of our van, that may be a side effect of the very long van, and the very short trailer - they are practically the same length! Also, the trailer is vintage, and so the body is narrower than new trailers. It really does follow perfectly behind and we don't drive the van any differently with the trailer hooked up. Maybe we are already 'swinging-wide' just to get the van around normally

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
??? Really ??? I think someone has been very lucky I did not know there was a trailer out there that follows the exact path when turning.
I said that because I traveled with a friend for three months and they had an equalizer. I found my Reese to be easier. YMMV.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Thanks, Jim! This is a lot of good advice, please keep it going. I did spend last night reading up on ProPride hitches, the controversy between European recommendations and WD hitches and the general assessment from many that there are quite a number of good hitches out there. Seems that people are generally happy with their set ups. Is there a combination that I definitely should avoid??
Since your Airstream is a 20 , I don't believe a Pro Pride or a Hensley is necessary. Others have had great success with an Equalizer or the Reese Dual Cam. Even though I now use a Hensley on a Jeep - 30' Signature combination, I previously towed my 25' Safari about 300,000 k using a Reese Dual Cam and Jeep. I liked it for its effectiveness and simplicity and it is still my favourite. I also think that there is some significant wisdom in having your OEM hitch strengthened. Can Am did mine. I am pleased with the results, especially the peace of mind bonus. Incidentally, you will be thrilled by the operating results provided by the Diesel. Jim
Old 11-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #36
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
08 Jeep GC CRD towing 2011 FC23FB using 10K Equalizer. Completely stable in all conditions for 30k miles. Taking delivery of 2024 Jeep GC Diesel and will use the same hitch.
We must be on a similar rotation. What is the delivery time in the US on the Jeep Diesel? We are at 10 weeks. Black this time since the Summit was not available in Silver. Jim
Old 11-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
We must be on a similar rotation. What is the delivery time in the US on the Jeep Diesel? We are at 10 weeks. Black this time since the Summit was not available in Silver. Jim
Mine is "In Transit" to my dealer, expected this week. I ordered the Overland in Silver on Aug. 23rd. Yep, 10 weeks.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #38
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quick question.
How does CanAm strengthen the hitch. Do they ship the parts and you installed the steel plates yourself?

No delivery date on the Cayenne yet. Seems that Porsche introduced some changes to the specs or packages and the dealer will be able to tell after the LA auto show. Seems the new Macan triggered a limited edition package or so for the Cayenne.

Will have a look at the CanAm options (Andy)
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
How does CanAm strengthen the hitch.
Can-Am runs steel from the receiver down to a point below the vehicle. It's not pretty, but it's functional.

You could probably have a local welding shop do the same thing based on photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1859.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	201027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	201028  

Old 12-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #40
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I would drop the bath tub muffler and reroute the exhaust so you could tuck that support arm up tight against the trunk floor for better clearance. Any good hitch shop could make the modification.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #41

Menlo Park , California
But how much reinforcement do I really need? It is just a 20ft FC.
As long as I do not exceed the manufacturers load ratings, wouldn't I be fine?
Or is a WD hitch causing additional stress that the European design does not account for?

How much reinforced is a typical Truck hitch, compared to an SUV?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #42

Menlo Park , California
Quote:
But how much reinforcement do I really need? It is just a 20ft FC. As long as I do not exceed the manufacturers load ratings, wouldn't I be fine? Or is a WD hitch causing additional stress that the European design does not account for? How much reinforced is a typical Truck hitch, compared to an SUV?
One other issue I see is exactly the point about clearance. The plan is to unhitched and to take the Cayenne for getting where our old Eurovan Camper was unable to get us. So, I agree, we would need a different kind of routing.