Old 11-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I mentioned Andy at CanAm because I had some questions about my TV and hitch and he was gracious enough to help me. I've never bought anything from him but my personal communication with him and his forum posts have given him credibility in my mind. I believe in giving someone some props when they help me - least I can do.

Poppy

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Also, towing anxiety and white knuckles beginners tips would be highly appreciated. Our first trip, approaching the bridge toll booth, I found out that there is a wide load booth on the right side. Next time, I'll take it , glad it went well, but I was sweating profoundly. Also highway construction with concrete separators is not a very pleasant experience - it probably is just getting used to trailer pulling, but it is making the process of towing less fun, at the moment. I wonder whether it will be better or worse with the Cayenne.

Thanks!!

I think that is something you just need to get used to. After a while you'll know how wide your trailer is compared to your tow vehicle, and how much room you need to leave on each side. Our trailer is just as wide as our van, and we know it will follow exactly in our van's path. We never need to swing-wide or anything like that. If the van makes it through, the trailer makes it through. But that only came after a lot of towing to get comfortable with it. Get a good hitch with sway control, know how to use your trailer brake system if necessary to control sway (we have never needed to), get everything properly adjusted, and get out there and tow and you will build your confidence.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I use a Resse Dual Cam on my '12 Durango and I used it on my '05 ML500 as well. No complaints. I think it's easier to hitch up than an Equalizer.
Easier to hook up than an Equal-i-zer?
Please outline the steps or post pics.
I had an Eaz Lift before and the Equal-i-zer is much easier to hook up.
Most brands hitch up very similar to the Eaz Lift.
In my mind I thought only Hensley Arrow and ProPride would be easier to hook up.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm curious to see what other SUVs people are towing with (and like the performance of) because we are looking to upgrade to something newer and that gets better mileage than our nearly-20 year old van.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Gosh, if it was me, I'd just get a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Used a 2014 V6/8spd to tow my 23' trailer a few weekends ago and it did very well.

I use the same Eaz-lift hitch and friction sway control that I use on the Durango. Properly set-up, it works very well.

BTW, mentioning CanAm does not reduce the credibility of this forum. Frankly I'm insulted by the suggestion of that - and yes, I'm a customer. They are probably the leading expert on "unique" tow setups in North America with extensive experience. Andrew_T, a member on this forum and one of CanAm's owners, generously gives advice and info to non-customers.

Tom
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I'm curious to see what other SUVs people are towing with (and like the performance of) because we are looking to upgrade to something newer and that gets better mileage than our nearly-20 year old van.
Our '06 MB gets 12mpg towing and 22mpg unhitched on the highway. Trailer is about 5,500 pounds.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Our trailer is just as wide as our van, and we know it will follow exactly in our van's path. We never need to swing-wide or anything like that. If the van makes it through, the trailer makes it through.
??? Really ??? I think someone has been very lucky I did not know there was a trailer out there that follows the exact path when turning.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
See my Avatar, BMW X5 & 31' Airstream. Hitch interface is a Hensley (ProPride is also equivalent), pricey but negates ALL sway without friction.

McKesh extended mirrors allow viewing the Airstream wheels and behind the Airstream, the X5 mirrors allow viewing vehicles adjacent to the Airstream.

As to towing in narrow situations, just get used to CENTERING the tow vehicle in the lane, the Airstream will follow; don't get fixated on the mirrors trying to view Airstream wheels or you'll wander from center lane. When turning use the mirrors to make sure the Airstream wheels don't hit a curb.

Oh, and CanAm RV rules, they set up my assembly, do a search on "withidl" for details.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Knuff, you have a really excellent TV coming that will work nicely with your model Airstream. My bet is that you will find it even more pleasurable than the F150, even though the F150 is a superb truck. Others who are currently towing with one of the German SUVs can elaborate on the necessity of a wd hitch. I think everybody is using one in spite of the manufacture's recommendations against it since the recommendations are based on European spec surge brake systems. You have opened up a big time can of worms and will receive many different recommendations for a hitch. (And TV Recommendations) With your set up, I don't believe you can go wrong with any of them but I believe that you don't need the big buck ones. Jim
Old 11-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #24
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
This fits in our garage.......
Your garage would not be affordable in our neck of the woods
Nice setup
Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #25
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Thanks, Jim!
This is a lot of good advice, please keep it going.
I did spend last night reading up on ProPride hitches, the controversy between European recommendations and WD hitches and the general assessment from many that there are quite a number of good hitches out there. Seems that people are generally happy with their set ups. Is there a combination that I definitely should avoid??
Old 11-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Those mirrors will only work for the Infiniti QX56 that is the same as the Armada. There was a body style change some year- 09, 10- I don't know- but the vehicle is totally different from the Titan/Armada now.

Your'e totally correct Infiniti changed their Q56 body style in 2011 and what I listed will not work. Sorry any confusion caused by post!

All the best!

Snaken

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I tow my 34' International with a Hensley Hitch, fitted to a Honda Odyssey. I could not be happier. The Hensley,and comparable hitches, completely eliminate all sway and make both parts of the rig behave like a single unit. With a backup camera, it is easy to hitch up by yourself. My rig too got set-up by CanAm - not an ad, just a recommendation.

I towed it through heavy crosswinds on my way to winter storage recently and while the wind was noticeable, it wasn't in any way scary, even with 18 wheelers overtaking.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I must be the poor boy here, I tow a 72 Overlander with a 03 Tahoe fitted with a Reese dual cam. Works great.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote