Old 12-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
It takes next to no effort to operate the snap-up brackets.

In fact, you can snap them in place with your hands and never need a extension pipe.

The trick is to drop the trailer coupler on the ball, lock the coupler, then with the electric jack, raise the front end of the trailer very high.

That then allows a person to simply operate the snap-up brackets with no effort.

Once the snap-up brackets have been secured, lower the front of the trailer.

Then observe the bend in the bars such as in the above photo.

Andy
Yes, That's why tongue jacks are rated for 3500#s or so, for a tongue weight south of 1000#s. You lift the front of the trailer and the rear of the truck....very easy to turn the snap up brackets then.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Asking the group, what's wrong with the new(er) Husky Centerline hitch with 800# bars?

Advantages here: the dealer sells it, extremely simple setup, easy to readjust when/if needed, flexible trunnion bars, interesting sway control/return idea, no holes in frame.

I have the Equal-i-zer, like it's simplicity, dislike the stiffness of the bars. I like the design of this Husky better.

doug k
I just don't think anyone has any experience with them yet, on this forum. I have no clue if their tapered bars are more flexible than an Eq, or if those centering thingys work well.

FYI, I had an Eq and also liked its simplicity, but COULD NOT live with its punishing stiffness. Absolutely feel more comfortable with the behavior of the 800# Reese dual cam.

Couple of holes in the tongue ain't no big deal. You could always have them welded on, but I think it's unnecessary.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
FYI, I had an Eq and also liked its simplicity, but COULD NOT live with its punishing stiffness. Absolutely feel more comfortable with the behavior of the 800# Reese dual cam.
This graph confirms your Equalizer experience.

The Hitch Torsion Bar Story

Andy
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
"I had an Eq and also liked its simplicity, but COULD NOT live with its punishing stiffness."
--------
Ok, that's a comment I've seen a couple times now. I suppose this means that for whatever reason, the maker designed the bars to be stiff. Is there some school of thought where stiff is better, or is this a kind of mistake, or?

"Punishing stiffness" doesn't sound like what I want for my trailer.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
"I had an Eq and also liked its simplicity, but COULD NOT live with its punishing stiffness."
--------
Ok, that's a comment I've seen a couple times now. I suppose this means that for whatever reason, the maker designed the bars to be stiff. Is there some school of thought where stiff is better, or is this a kind of mistake, or?

"Punishing stiffness" doesn't sound like what I want for my trailer.
It's a hot topic. There are several thread and a study done by Inland Andy which shows flex at various loads. (Also quite disputed and debated). It is the only quantitative analysis I know of though. My issue was the very high loads placed on the tongue when entering and exiting steep driveways (gas stations, etc) with my 1000 lb Eq bars.

Many say it will bend older ASes only as the newer ones are beefier...but there have been pics on the forum of bent 5" tongues.

All I can say is I did A LOT of research and switched to an 800# Reese dual cam and I like the ride and flexibility much better.

I am sure the PP and HA are better even yet, but I like you, am not willing to pull the trigger on several $000 on a hitch. My Reese is very stable and fine for me.

Look here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...hes-72197.html

and here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...est-76068.html

Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Sutton will do the installation for you if you'd like (we just got a trailer from them and live in Eugene) but if you're looking for a shop in town that specializes in hitches and towing, check out Hitch Pro and Tow. They're in Eugene and put in the tranny cooler and brake controller.

P.S.: We have a Equalizer that was installed by Sutton. I will probably upgrade to a PP come spring. The Equalizer seems to work fine but, while towing in some high wind, it got a little wiggly... I do NOT like wiggly.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
PHBARNHART--

Hey thanks. If you don't mind my asking, how did you like the Sutton experience on delivery, walk thru, hookup and whatever? Were you happy when you towed out?

I had found the Tow Pro guys in the Yellow Pages, so they are on my list to call. But if Sutton has the Reece 2-cam set, I may just go with them doing it for convenience.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master

We all know the problem of different providers providing parts of a complex system which then fails. For example, if your internet connection is slow, the phone company, router supplier and broadband supplier can blame each other. If you bought a new car or truck, many modifications will void the warranty.
If I were buying a new trailer from a dealer, I would have to have a very good reason not to ask that supplier to also install the hitch system that the the supplier recommends and installs.
If you drive out with the new trailer, and have a handling problem, the issue is straightforward if the same company provides a complete package. Just my personal preference.
Nick.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Latest on Monday:
Called Sutton RV and they only sell/install the EQ now. No more Husky. He says that they put them on many A/S and have no complaints about "stiffness".

Called Tow Pro in Eugene and the first one he recommends is the EQ also. He carries pretty much every brand.

Neither guy seemed to have any knowledge about the stiffness of the bars issue.

As Nick implied, maybe going with the dealer's rec makes sense here?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #38
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
I find it hard to stay out of these "debates" sometimes so please forgive me in advance...

A few comments -

I was responsible for selling a little over 10,000 Hensley Arrow hitches and now have sold close to 4,000 ProPride hitches - not all Airstreams - however, NOT ONCE has a customer called and reported damage to an Airstream resulting from the hitch. I have had people call me and report damage to an Airstream from it rolling over due to sway. I would attribute that damage to the hitch due to never having a sway accident reported by an Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P customer.

The ProPride 3P is much easier to hitch and unhitch than an Arrow. The Arrow is not difficult either. I would challenge anyone to a timed hitching, at any angle or elevation, and I would guess I would be as fast or faster than most conventional hitch ups. There seems to be a lot of people that watch someone attempt to hitch up incorrectly and then write the hitches off as hard to hitch. Most things in life, when you don't follow the correct procedure, are difficult.

One of the posts earlier state the dealers are profit motivated. I haven't found that to be true. A dealer can make MUCH more money with the Arrow or 3P hitch than he can ever make with any of the conventional hitches. What it comes down to with most dealers is how EASILY they can get you off the lot. Out of their hair. That doesn't work well with properly setting up a conventional weight distribution hitch. If that weren't the case they would professionally discuss ALL of your hitch options with you. There are VERY FEW (probably less than 5 I know of) dealers that take a holistic approach to discussing your options. You might look at is as "surgeons cut."

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
X2 on that.

Cheap at twice the price.

I own the haha, but would recommend the PP today.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I find it hard to stay out of these "debates" sometimes so please forgive me in advance...

A few comments -

I was responsible for selling a little over 10,000 Hensley Arrow hitches and now have sold close to 4,000 ProPride hitches - not all Airstreams - however, NOT ONCE has a customer called and reported damage to an Airstream resulting from the hitch. I have had people call me and report damage to an Airstream from it rolling over due to sway. I would attribute that damage to the hitch due to never having a sway accident reported by an Hensley Arrow or ProPride 3P customer.

The ProPride 3P is much easier to hitch and unhitch than an Arrow. The Arrow is not difficult either. I would challenge anyone to a timed hitching, at any angle or elevation, and I would guess I would be as fast or faster than most conventional hitch ups. There seems to be a lot of people that watch someone attempt to hitch up incorrectly and then write the hitches off as hard to hitch. Most things in life, when you don't follow the correct procedure, are difficult.

One of the posts earlier state the dealers are profit motivated. I haven't found that to be true. A dealer can make MUCH more money with the Arrow or 3P hitch than he can ever make with any of the conventional hitches. What it comes down to with most dealers is how EASILY they can get you off the lot. Out of their hair. That doesn't work well with properly setting up a conventional weight distribution hitch. If that weren't the case they would professionally discuss ALL of your hitch options with you. There are VERY FEW (probably less than 5 I know of) dealers that take a holistic approach to discussing your options. You might look at is as "surgeons cut."

-
What did I miss? Who said the PP or HA was too stiff? I haven't seen any quantitative data on HA nor PP.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #41
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
What did I miss? Who said the PP or HA was too stiff? I haven't seen any quantitative data on HA nor PP.

In the first post of this thread OP states that he has read that the HA will crack the frame.

I also haven't seen any quantitative data, or ever seen any qualitative evidence, to whatever posts was being referenced by the OP.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
In the first post of this thread OP states that he has read that the HA will crack the frame.

I also haven't seen any quantitative data, or ever seen any qualitative evidence, to whatever posts was being referenced by the OP.
Don't take my initial post comments too serious fellas. I was being a little hyperbolic for literary effect. I had been reading a dizzying number of posts about hitches and someone mentioned "a cracked frame from an HA". Please - nothing exact was meant. I was indicating my state of noob confusion - nothing more.

My sincere apology if that rattled anyone.