Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Stolen Hitch - Replacement Suggestions?

The Reese WD hitch is gone. It is my responsibility to remove it before shopping.
The 1,000 lb bars were too heavy, but they were not taken, so I could use some suggestions.
Cost is a concern. I tend to look for older stuff that has worked for years rather than the latest version of the old mousetrap.
Ideas please.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Wow, did someone pull the trunnion head out of the back of your truck when you were parked? You could always look at ebay, but the shipping is brutal. Now I know why I have a lock on mine.

BTW, I use a Reese Trunnion setup on my 75 TW and my bars are 750 lb rated. I think that they are a good match for me.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Icky Poo!

You mean while you were shopping someone stole your hitch? (I am assuming your trailer wasn't attached...) That is awful. How low can someone go!

Well, any enlightenment on security issues for this topic? This may be needed!

We generally look like we are fresh out of the movie, "The Grapes of Wrath"... according to our son... so folks probably think they shouldn't steal from the poor old folks.... We think the "homeless shiek" is a good look. But other than our "incognito appearances" what other suggestions are out there?

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Sorry...

I think odds of finding another trunnion on E-Bay or Craig's list or other local search are good, as your's is probably not coming on market or coming back unless meth-head who took it doesn't have an old pickup and trailer he needs to move from time to time...

As for security, we have talked to a number of fellow campers who have lost hitches and spring bars either from truck or from campsite when away in tow vehicle.. We have (sadly..) adopted a two step security system when in any area where we think there is the slightest chance of foul play..

1. Locking hitch bar pin, screws together with key in place, and can't be removed without key.. Rated for over 10,000#. Other versions use small padlock instead of spring pin on end of steel pin.
2. Spring bars and parts go into "baseball carry bag" purchased from local sporting goods store and into back of Excursion, rather than be left on ground under front of trailer. Long skinny duffel bag protects car from grease and dirt, and makes inconspicuous item in back of car...

Cost of security is about $15 for locking pin and $15 for cheap baseball bat carry bag.. Better than new hitch assembly, or getting stuck in suburbs of nowhere without a way to move trailer...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob
The Reese WD hitch is gone. It is my responsibility to remove it before shopping.
The 1,000 lb bars were too heavy, but they were not taken, so I could use some suggestions.
Cost is a concern. I tend to look for older stuff that has worked for years rather than the latest version of the old mousetrap.
Ideas please.

R
I'm a little confused. Did you have the spring bars in the back of your truck and someone pulled the hitch pin and relieved you of your drawbar with platform/ball? OR, did you have your bars/drawbar/platform with ball next to the trailer when you left?

When I pulled my other trailer, I used just a Reese hitch pin that can easily be pulled out in case the trailer catches fire and I need to distance the tow vehicle. I use the same pin now with my Hensley Arrow. I always check it before leaving to make sure someone has not pulled the pin. The coupler has a lock on it to prevent someone from disengaging the trailer. If I decided to drive around town with the previous Reese setup, I would change out the pin and use a locking unit of stainless steel made by Reese. Let them try to get it off in a few minutes without attracting attention.

Check ebay for replacements because the hitch drawbar/platform are not cheap.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Bought a lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Wow, did someone pull the trunnion head out of the back of your truck when you were parked? You could always look at ebay, but the shipping is brutal. Now I know why I have a lock on mine.

BTW, I use a Reese Trunnion setup on my 75 TW and my bars are 750 lb rated. I think that they are a good match for me.
Yes the head is gone, the bars were with the trailer.
Going fishing down south soon, bought a lock for the head and one for the boat trailer ball release latch.
I think it was too good looking. I think it is time to spray nasty poo on the hardware (lithium grease).

Azflycaster, what is your tow vehicle to use 750lb bars?
Old 08-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Ideas please.

R
Check RV places or truck shops. They may have taken some towing equipment in on trade.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Azflycaster, what is your tow vehicle to use 750lb bars?
I tow with my 03 Toyota Tundra V-8 4x4....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Camping World is Having a Sale on Reese WD Hitches

You are in luck!
Camping World has some great prices right now. I might even pick up a spare just in case somebody steals mine.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello,
Everyone unfortunately needs to assume there is a rotten thief around somewhere all the time ,sorry to hear of this happening.Everyone must
have a hitch pin lock ,uses the round key ,and then has to be unscrewed
to get the pin pulled . I put one on anytime the hitch head is in the receiver.
I don't use the reese ,but that doesn't stop a thief.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Great ideas, Thanks All

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Check RV places or truck shops. They may have taken some towing equipment in on trade.
Would like to buy new but will look around.
Have been thinking about an upgrade to include antisway.
Although the trailer rides so good with just the bars an upgrade would have to be somthing special.

R
Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hitch stolen

Hi, I've heard of this before so I put my spring bars inside the trailer storage compartment and keep the head locked to my tow vehicle. I just hope I don't forget some day that the hitch is still in the receiver and back into something like a parked car Etc.
Sorry to hear about this theft job; Watch for the parts you need to go on sale at E-bay. [they might actually be yours]

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote