Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Std Reese wd hitch upgrade

My trailer came with a standard Reese weight distributing hitch (trunnion bars). Can this be upgraded to the dual cam system - which I believe it can but this opens another question. The frame on my trailer is 3" and the Reese website shows that the dual cam system is made for 4" thru 6" frames. Does Reese sell a smaller u-bolt?
I suppose I could make my own apparatus up with some steel and some grade 8 bolts.
Anyone encounter this problem?
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have the dual cam HP version, and that bolts to the frame.

If your bars have the bend at the end, they are the newer style and you won't have to get new bars if you go to the dual cam.

Looking at your Airstream though, it's not a real long one....friction may be a better bet for a 19 footer. I had a 19 foot 2003 and the friction did very well with that unit. I couldn't imagine going up to a dual cam if I still had my 19' FWIW..... 22' would still fall under the friction in my book.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Std Reese wd hitch upgrade

Greetomgs crispyboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
My trailer came with a standard Reese weight distributing hitch (trunnion bars). Can this be upgraded to the dual cam system - which I believe it can but this opens another question. The frame on my trailer is 3" and the Reese website shows that the dual cam system is made for 4" thru 6" frames. Does Reese sell a smaller u-bolt?
I suppose I could make my own apparatus up with some steel and some grade 8 bolts.
Anyone encounter this problem?
It isn't listed in the catalog, but my Airstream was able to get the smaller "U-Bolts" from Reese. They were quite reasonably priced. Upgrade shouldn't be a problem as the original style Dual Cam works with both the older style seperate saddles on the trunion bars -- or with the new bars that have the built-in return for the saddle. I am very satisfied with the performance of the Dual Cam on my '78 6.0 Metre Minuet -- the biggest consideration is that the Dual Cam needs at least 400 pounds of hitch weight to be effective (my Minuet runs close to 525 pounds for an average trip).

Good luck with your hitch decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote