Old 12-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
I believe all of you have missed one major point to be considered when asking yourself should I unhitch every time I park for the evening. Question? what happens in case of an emergency and you need the tow vehicle to get to a hospital. Not all emergencies require an ambulance. Just think about your wife trying to unhitch the trailer by herself? It's inexpensive insurance to unhook the chains and tension bars, raise the ball section just enough to move the tow vehicle two or three inches and then level the trailer.

William Ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #16
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If unhitching is possible, then unhitch. If you are not really all that exp towing, then unhitch.

If you are exp towing, then keep it hitched up.

I stay hitched unless:

a) Going into a very tight place hard to manuver
b) Just don't want to deal with the addtional 26 feet of RV
c) Traffic is an total bear
d) I can't unhitch

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I stay hitched for one night stays or one day stopovers. More than one day, I unhook the trailer completely. While hooked up overnight, I leave everything connected and only raise the tongue jack to level out the trailer.

ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57

My wife is fully capable of hitching and unhitching the trailer. I think it's critical that she be fully aware for both checking to make sure it's done right by me (she needs to know what right is so she notices where I've messed up) and also in case of an emergency. She wrote out a check list she still refers to and about every fifth or so hook up she takes the lead. This is the result of an incident where my buddy's dad and mom were at a State park several days away from home and he had a massive heart attack. An ambulance came and took him away and she had no clue how to hook the truck up to the trailer, etc so she could haul closer to the hosptial/town he'd been taken to. A few good samaritans in the campground came over and while one showed her exactly what to do the other wrote it all down step by step and they talked her through it as she did it herself next. The good news is the heart attack was survived but guess who had to do the driving back home and dealing with the trailer the whole way - and she did a fine job and followed those steps every time she hooked up or unhitched. Over time she added more things that she learned herself. They managed to do several more years of great camping before he was finally unable to travel at all.

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote