Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Spot Welds on a Hitch Shank to Remove Play

I have a 2010 Tundra and the receiver tends to be slightly larger than the Equalizer head shank. Is it possible to have some spot welds put on the hitch shank as shims to remove the play? I have a grinder at home that I could use to grind away the spot welds to customize the fit.

I know there is a bolt on device to remove the play but you have to unbolt it every time you want to remove the head. That doesn't sound too convenient.

Kelvin

Old 06-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I just cut small flat metal shims which I slip in when I put the hitch into the receiver. It does seem to make a difference.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Why is this a problem? Our hitch shank has a small amount of side to side and up and down play and we never notice it while towing. It's a byproduct of the shank being slightly smaller than the receiver so it can be inserted and removed without requiring absolute precision. If you make the fit too tight, then you might find the shank jammed in the received due to some debris or corrosion.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If shank is tite in receiver gets a little rust almost impossible to remove, with out lots of work to remove. I had one could not get out no matter what, still there after 10 yrs. A small bit of slop is okay. When trailer is on pressure keeps tite.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The spot welds sounds like a good idea.
I used shims and now went to a bolt on style made by Blue OX. It does what I wanted and I'm happy with it. I leave my hitch on the truck while traveling and camping, only remove it when back home. It's not all that much trouble as one would think, but since I leave it attached I have to be careful when parking in small spaces in parking lots, as it sticks out.

Let us know if you use the spot welds and how you like it. It seems this would solve the problem once and for all.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #6

2005 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I have a Jeep Cherokee Diesel as my tow vehicle and am bothered by the clunking I hear when the loose hitch moves within the receiver. I took my welder and put some spot welds on the shank as Kelvin was asking and am really pleased how it quieted up the hitch on rough roads or changing directions. Because it is only small spots, the rust is not an issue as the points of contact are so small that it won't freeze the shank into the receiver.
Hope that helps someone else!

Lonny
Old 06-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I personally decided against welding and use an aluminum sheet metal shim that rides in the receiver even when the hitch is removed. You will need to be careful about misalignment of the holes for the locking pin and shimming will avoid creation of an unintentional mess in that regard.

Shims can also support the entire length of the shank and not cause wear dimples from spot welds.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile spot welds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
The spot welds sounds like a good idea.
I used shims and now went to a bolt on style made by Blue OX. It does what I wanted and I'm happy with it. I leave my hitch on the truck while traveling and camping, only remove it when back home. It's not all that much trouble as one would think, but since I leave it attached I have to be careful when parking in small spaces in parking lots, as it sticks out.

Let us know if you use the spot welds and how you like it. It seems this would solve the problem once and for all.
Some states illegal to leave hitch in when not towing.Not legal in Il. Every state has own laws, I would check before leaving in.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not to mention it is rude and inconsiderate. In a tight parking lot it is like haveing a giant can opener sticking out the back. It always seems to be some jerk in a giant pick up truck that does it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Chief, Had not heard that it was rude to leave the hitch on. Have to consider that as ours is on all the time. Thx

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
My pants are attracted to a hitch left on my Tundra.

Kelvin
Old 06-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I laid full beads of weld on the bottom and one side both in the front and rear of the receiver. Ground it down to fit with a metal burr.
The reason I chose this method is because I did the hitch shank one time and then I needed to borrow my brothers truck because mine was in the shop. The shank with the welds had to be ground off to fit my brothers truck. I didn't want this to happen on the road sometime where I wouldn't have access to a grinder in an emergency.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I'm not a welder and welding to a 2" stinger, no comment.

I feel we do a lot to create a tuned hitch system and then pin it into a loose fit at best receiver. So the very last connection is now sloppy. Mine was too.

I used a piece of SS door kick plate and cut an formed a 90 deg two sided full length shim and a single full length shim. It all slides snugly into the receiver and NOTICEABLY takes the slop out. Driving this combo for several years and it, for me is a noticeable improvement in steering wheel stillness.

The SS was not super easy to work with but shows only minor rub marks not deformed. If I loose them it would be a priority project to remake them.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Budweiser can... Eeerrrr... Uh....shim stock.... Also handy for muffler patches and gaskets on Harley's.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote