Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I guess I don't turn sharp enough then....I never hear/feel it once I get going. It is a Hensley, so the geometry on a turn is different....makes a difference.....don't know??

I run quite a bit of WD with around 1150#s of receiver weight.
Hmmmm, that is possible. I am referring to towing with a Hensley (at least for me, never liked towing without one). But the physics seems to make sense. Place a bar into a box, that is not precision fit, crank a 1000 pound bind on it, and from time-to-time, it is going to "clunk" But maybe its not on all hitches.
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And, I was being serious. Between the A frame mounted bike rack and excessive side scrubbing of the tires, I try not to turn sharp. I'll pull back and forth multiple times to avoid.....and mirror visibility is better that way too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
This thread is applicable to my sloppy shank to receiver fit I had a couple of years ago. I discovered a bent hitch pin while towing. Not good. I found my shank fit so poorly in the receiver that the hitch pin is what resisted torsional forces.

The situation was made worse in my case as my Super Duty came with a 2 1/2 receiver as well as a reducer sleeve to get to 2" square. There was clearance slop between both members. Again, the hitch pin was getting pinched, and the holes in the receiver were getting elongated.

I found a Curt Mfg. reducer sleeve that fit rather tightly in the Super Duty, better than the Ford supplied one. Then I welded the Curt reducer sleeve to the Pro Pride shank eliminating any slop between those two members. The heat of the weld distorted the Curt reducer enough that I had some serious power sanding to finally get a loose enough fit that I could assemble the shank to the receiver. These steps eliminated most of the slop.

I can now twist my shank using my Rock Tamer bars and the hitch pin stays free, or unbound. And my hitch pin is free and unbound when the trailer is connected and weight bars tightened. I do not believe the hitch pin was designed for any torsional forces, only sheer with the acceleration and braking forces.

So if the slop is great enough that it binds the hitch pin, I recommend figuring out a way to eliminate it. Weld build up on the shank, and then ground to a good fit would work in my view. I would use a bead weld, not a spot weld. You need some good bearing area so you don't wear the receiver. I also purchased a better hitch pin for added security. I even keep a grade 8 bolt in the tool box just in case I see anything unusual with the hitch pin.

By the way, I could not detect any difference in towing or noise before and after I eliminated the sloppy fit.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1308 Bent Shank Pin.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	239931  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I bought an anti-rattle device- basically a U-bolt and a flat piece of metal turned up at one end.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I have a 2010 Tundra and the receiver tends to be slightly larger than the Equalizer head shank. Is it possible to have some spot welds put on the hitch shank as shims to remove the play? I have a grinder at home that I could use to grind away the spot welds to customize the fit.

I know there is a bolt on device to remove the play but you have to unbolt it every time you want to remove the head. That doesn't sound too convenient.

Kelvin
Spot Welding sounds kinda "Buckshee"! It'll work, but I have a better way.
I have a Husky hitch, with a Hidden Hitch on the tow vehicle, pulling a Hi-Lo. [ I don't have an Airstream yet.] I measured .064 play between the hitch shank and the receiver.
So, I made two shims .060, one for the side, [pin hole drilled], and the other for the top. If I can send you a photo or two, I'll try to.
In keeping with my old Air Force Sgt.s. dictum; "if it moves, lubricate it; if it doesn't paint it; if it talks back, salute it!"
Since there is a modicum of movement there, I grease the shank using heavy grease, and lube the spring bars with Moly-Slip.
It works; no rattle, and the hitch comes out easily.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #26
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
The hole for our hitch pin has worn oval on one side. This is in part due to the slop between the shank and receiver, with the TV dog tracking causing the shank to put excess load on one side of the receiver.

Back in the 70s, I worked at a hitch mfg. and heard of a person driving 500 miles without the hitch pin in and they didn't lose the trailer. This was because of the much tighter fit of the shank and receiver back then. Bet one couldn't do that with today sloppy fit! I wouldn't want to drive 5 miles without the pin, let alone 500. Hope putting the pin in is never overlooked or the angel clip as well.

Cheers, John
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Considering that my hitch weighs about 100lbs with the mud flaps attached to it and I don't have a place to store it when it is not on the truck, I end up leaving it on there. The mud flaps also protect drivers behind me from rocks. It is also rude to park your Prius so it takes up more space than my Excursion. The hitch also serves to discourage rude tailgaters.

It is also rude to drive 60 on an interstate and block traffic. Rude is the new normal these days, where have you been?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Not to mention it is rude and inconsiderate. In a tight parking lot it is like having a giant can opener sticking out the back. It always seems to be some jerk in a giant pick up truck that does it.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Take a look at HitchRider.com. They have a hitch vise that works great. 30 bucks.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I welded a piece of thin steel to the side of mine and filed it to fit.
dalemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #30
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I use Airstream Ball Lube on everything. No problems here.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would be worried about so much slop that is bends the pin. That is not a normal amount of slop and I think that warrants a new receiver being installed. Welding these receivers makes me a little worried about changing the properties of the metal. I have gone so far as to weld a nut to a receiver extension and then using a bolt to take up the slack. This was used on an extension piece that held some steps for a slide in camper. The modified piece was not used to pull a trailer.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
This thread is applicable to my sloppy shank to receiver fit I had a couple of years ago. I discovered a bent hitch pin while towing. Not good. I found my shank fit so poorly in the receiver that the hitch pin is what resisted torsional forces.

The situation was made worse in my case as my Super Duty came with a 2 1/2 receiver as well as a reducer sleeve to get to 2" square. There was clearance slop between both members. Again, the hitch pin was getting pinched, and the holes in the receiver were getting elongated.

I found a Curt Mfg. reducer sleeve that fit rather tightly in the Super Duty, better than the Ford supplied one. Then I welded the Curt reducer sleeve to the Pro Pride shank eliminating any slop between those two members. The heat of the weld distorted the Curt reducer enough that I had some serious power sanding to finally get a loose enough fit that I could assemble the shank to the receiver. These steps eliminated most of the slop.

I can now twist my shank using my Rock Tamer bars and the hitch pin stays free, or unbound. And my hitch pin is free and unbound when the trailer is connected and weight bars tightened. I do not believe the hitch pin was designed for any torsional forces, only sheer with the acceleration and braking forces.

So if the slop is great enough that it binds the hitch pin, I recommend figuring out a way to eliminate it. Weld build up on the shank, and then ground to a good fit would work in my view. I would use a bead weld, not a spot weld. You need some good bearing area so you don't wear the receiver. I also purchased a better hitch pin for added security. I even keep a grade 8 bolt in the tool box just in case I see anything unusual with the hitch pin.

By the way, I could not detect any difference in towing or noise before and after I eliminated the sloppy fit.

David
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"It always seems to be some jerk in a giant pick up truck that does it."

I resemble that remark.

Right now it is out. But when we leave for the summer it will probably be in until we get back in October. Stay well clear of the back of "giant pick up trucks".
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile spot welds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan hartman View Post
have my hitch on all the time. saved my rear bumper twice ! people texting while driving in bumper to bumper traffic have run into the back of my truck and damaged there front ends! got what they deserved! hitch is on full time now.
Insurance cos. will have field day if leaving hitch on and doing damage plus so will cops, or causing personal injury.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #34
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Budweiser can... Eeerrrr... Uh....shim stock.... Also handy for muffler patches and gaskets on Harley's.
Yep, I have been using beer can shims to seal the pipes on Ironhead heads for years.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I drink my IPA out of bottles

I think we have so 7 up cans, I'll try cutting a some strips to see how it works.

Kelvin
Old 06-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #36
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipsinewe View Post
If you are using weight distribution, the play should be a nonissue. You are lifting close to 1000 pounds and the bar is in, pretty much a total bind. Isn't it?

What about side to side stinger movement?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #37
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I drink my IPA out of bottles

I think we have so 7 up cans, I'll try cutting a some strips to see how it works.

Kelvin

IPA, yup good stuff. Aluminum shims, me thinks too soft to hold up.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
My aluminum shims were too soft and got beat thin in about one trip. I went to Home Depot and got some Simpson Strong Ties metal mending plates for under a buck. They are steel and seem to hold up much better. One thickness shim on the bottom and one on the side seems to take all the slop out of my hitch system. My hitch receiver is on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2012.

I have an Andersen hitch system. When I was at the Andersen plant in Idaho Falls, ID they told me that they buy the shank shaft material pre made and have no actual control over it's dimensions. They indicated it is a standard stock industrial metal product. They said that many of the receivers built seem to be oversized and of course they also have no control whatsoever about the receiver socket size which comes on the rigs as delivered to the customer.

I don't recall this being a problem in the "old days" but seems to be common now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I found some flat washers in my parts bins but they were too thick. How thick are the Simpson Strong Ties?

Kelvin
Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433442675.671697.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	239985

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433442750.922782.jpg