Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedartown , Georgia
Sport 22 hitch?

Hi all, we just brought home a 2017 sport 22 this past weekend, the trailer is used and came with an equalizer wd hitch. The hitch is rated for 400lb tongue weight and 4000lb max trailer weight, the sport 22 is listed as having a 422lb tongue weight and 3,634 base weight. The shank didn't' have enough rise so the dealer didn't install it, now I'm looking into wd hitches. I've read quite a few threads on the subject and there is a lot of differing opinions and hitches, styles etc. At first we thought about just getting a different shank but the weight worries me, I went on the equalizer website and used the calculator which suggested the 1000lb/10,000lb hitch for our trailer. My only concern is that I've read about hitches having a weight rating that is quite a bit over the trailer beating the trailer up on the road. I was leaning more to the 600lb/6,000lb hitch as it seems closer to the trailer weights. Then I found a slightly used 1000/10,000 close to me for a great price, so my question is will it beat the trailer up or would I be better off going with the 600/6,000 lb hitch.

Any advise is appreciated, thanks
BBecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You're on the right track. Research. You should find info that the EQ is a stiff hitch. Consequently, increasing the capacity would make your hitch set up even stiffer than it would be if you installed it now.

First weigh the tongue at the ball coupler on level ground. Now you know what the baseline tongue weight for the 22 is. Figure how much weight you will add to get your travel load out and where it will be stored in the coach. The % of the distance from the axle to the ball is the % that will be on the tongue. Store only light weight items behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle as that weight has to be lifted to distribute the tongue weight. Add in the hitch weight - about 80#s. Now you have the tongue weight to use when ordering a hitch. You are shooting for a minimum of 10% of the coach weight and a maximum of about 15%. Consequently, to do final tune you will need to visit a CAT scale.

Recomendation: You are in for a new shank - that is maybe $75-100. So what ever you do, there will be an investment. Consider purchase of an Eaz-lift weight dist hitch and a sway control strut (brake pad style). Use it until you find a better solution. The following is one source, but look for the best pricing and availability. Local would be best as then you can exchange if necessary.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Eaz-Lif...-/362128287405

Now about that research - do it - understand what you need and what you can do to mitigate a hitch trait that is problematic. Example - you can use the EQ with a new shank if you slow down for bad roads, driveway transitions and other shock generating surfaces. Understand why towing on the ball is a good or bad idea. Understand the advantages and disadvantages of friction sway control. Note - there is a $1500 Hensley that will work on a 22 if your budget is flush. Trailers are like boats. You spend a lot the first year. Hint -Use what you have until you know better.

Research is your friend. Don't believe anything until you prove it yourself.

Welcome to the AS world. A 22 is a great trailer. Lots of smiles ahead. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedartown , Georgia
Thanks for the info. Yeah I've been reading, and there is so much info to go through. I'm just starting to make heads and tails of it. I'm not married to the eq, it just came with he trailer. I see I have some homework to do to make the right decision. We are really excited and want to be sure to have a safe secure set up before we get out on the road. I towed it home about (about 100 miles) on the ball and I must say, it was a little nerve racking. Looking forward to learning a lot on the forums.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedartown , Georgia
Where did you see the Hensley, just out of curiosity?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
I'm not a fan of the Equal-i-zer hitch, but lots of people here are. Nevertheless, were it me, I'd get a new shank with the correct height, add a Husky friction anti-sway bar if yours doesn't already have one, and go camping. Done deal. If you decide to change the hitch, look at the Eaz-Lift.

Take the money you'd spend on a Hensley and put it in your pocket.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBecker View Post
Where did you see the Hensley, just out of curiosity?
It's the Cub. The Arrow is more like $2500-3000. Believe the Cub has 6000 lb capacity for around the $1500 range if you use the flippers and don't get the jacks. Note, the also sell refurbished hitches for less. Not trying to send you there. Just info is better than not. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Hmmm. Did you mention the tow vehicle (TV, here on the FOrums) and I missed it?

Two things stand out: "the shank didn't have enough rise..." usually it's drop, not rise, so you must have something hugging the ground; secondly, you towed about a hundred miles on the ball and "it was a little nerve racking." A 22 shouldn't be nerve racking, even on the ball unless you have a very short wheelbase (relative to the ball-axle distance) and maybe a very light vehicle.

Lots of good advice on the hitch part of the equation, but that's only half the problem.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cedartown , Georgia
Ah, I forgot the tv. Its a 2017 Ram 1500, I've towed way heavier at work but not so much tall where I couldn't see behind me. I'm new to all this and am trying to learn and be as accurate as I can be. I do appreciate all the info, I have been reading a lot but it get overwhelming trying to find what applies to my set up.