Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
JimGolden:
" I pull forward 5 feet. Then pull the hitch out, stick the headstock back under the tongue and engage the lock, swing the load bars up onto the L-brackets and stick a lock on the tongue and call it done."

This is the part I didn't know how to do. How do you "...stick the headstock back under the tongue and engage the lock...."?

I thought it might be possible, and confirmed with a test, to release the tension on the receiver by getting the tongue at the right height, pull the pin, and drive away. This eliminates the step you described.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Jim. It's much easier and lighter without the bars! But I feel your pain. I have done things like that also.

They actually make a few devices today that take the weight off the TV. One is called the Trailer Toad, its $3200 though. There is also a cheaper one wheel version that I have seen.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
For those looking to increase payload in the TV, these devices are tested well and work. $3200 to gain 700 pounds if TV payload might be worth the price tag.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Al,

I probably didn't explain that very well.

So use the tongue jack to raise everything up to get tension off the bars.
Then un-pin and remove upside down looking L pieces that hold the bars to the main L brackets.
The swing the non-tensioned load bars off the L brackets.
Lower the whole rig back down so the weight is on the ball.
Uncouple the EQ and raise the trailer up and off it.
Pull the truck forward five feet.
Remove the hitch pin and pull the whole EQ assembly out of the truck receiver.
Carry the behemouth back to the trailer and position it under the tongue.
Lift the EQ ball up into the tongue of the trailer and lock it down.
Then swing the distribution bars up into place and pin them in.
I use a locking tongue pin to lock the hitch into place.

That's how I store it when camping, attached to the trailer and locked in.
If somebody wants my 30 year old trailer that badly, and they can back up and line up the stinger, I guess they can have it.

But anyway, that's what I was trying to explain. At home, I keep the EQ in the garage.

I like the idea of doing biceps curls with the load bars though

I've just manhandled the thing since day one. It is a beast though. And I'm not getting younger....
Old 02-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Because we actively use our TV as a windsurfing van with access from the rear,,leaving the Equalizr head in place usually does t work for us for long stays. In that case, we take off the WD bars and stor them, along with holding clips, pins and cotter pins, in a duffel bag inside rear bumper. We put a grease protector (many available online for $10) over the ball, then un pin an remove receiver head, turn and put it on the ground just under trailer coupler. When we leave, it's right there and your not carrying a heavy object anywhere.

For winter storage, we usually put the head in a tuff, rectangular plastic open storage container and store it in our rear outside storage compartment. We have two if the containers, and they fit inside each other. One holds the receiver with any attendant grease; the other "spoons" underneath fir added strength and during the season serves as fresh water basin fir washing sand and salt off feet before entering trailer from beach.

This winter, were not using the van to windsurf locally, so I've left the receiver head locked into the tow vehicle.

It only took one time removing it and storing it on the garage and then driving 100 mikes to the Airstream's storage yard without it to make us store it either on the van or in the Airstream!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
All this 'Foo-ferawhh" is giving me a headache.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #27
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I think I understand it, but I am not shy about leaving the hitch head in the receiver when I don't feel like removing it.

In storage, I prefer to put a robust hitch lock on the trailer and run a heavy padlock through the chains. The hitch head stays with the truck, either in the receiver or inside. This helps me feel I have done my part to make it more of a pain in the neck to steal Rocinante than some other trailer on the lot. Not saying with any authority that it really matters, but I feel better, so it works for me.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I haven't done it yet, but as a newbie, my brain says to take off the torsion bars and leave the hitch itself on the tow vehicle.
While touring, not forever. Am I missing something?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I use a Hitchgrip
I like it! Found it for less than $20 online! Thanks for the tip.
My back thanks you.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Related but not OP issue. I was having trouble removing one of my stabilizer bars. The other no problems. After looking at the situation I realized my TV was tiled in the direction of the bar I couldn't remove. I put a couple of blocks under the tire to level the TV relative to the trailer and it came off no problem. Next trip I'm taking the bars off on the street where it's level before I back down the driveway.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I use a Hitchgrip and lower the head on a plastic dolly I purchased from Harbor Freight, then I can wheel it away.
In the real world the Hitch grip is great as long as the hitch assembly stays upright. Trying to pick up a hitch that's laying on it's side is an invitation for a smashed foot. I like your idea of the dolly, I have one I used for batteries. I might build a support on the dolly to keep the hitch upright. I need to move my hitch to the bottom hole anyway so maybe that will make it sit flatter.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I got a hitch grip a few months ago after our return from Florida, haven't had to use it yet. Seems like it will be easier than trying to lift it and put in the receiver.

I use 2-4"x4" blocks of wood (old fencepost) to keep the hitch upright. If I don't it will fall over, like when we travel. I haven't found a way to keep that vertical yet. I just put an extra large Ziploc bag on it to keep the rain off of it and the grease off of me.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #33
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I use the bars to hold our outdoor carpeting in place in front of the AS. I pull the hitch out of the receiver, because if I don't, my wife will bang her shin on it within 5 min. It will be my fault. .
I throw it under the trailer with the locking bolt through the hole. I've thought about someone walking off with it, but it's pretty heavy. Has anyone ever had one stolen?
I also have one bar that's more difficult to remove. If I just raise the trailer, attached to the truck a bit more, it slides off.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
GettingAway,

How do you hold your carpet? Interesting idea. Do you have a picture?
Old 04-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #35
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Our carpet is the right length, but a little too wide. So we pull it up against the wheels a bit and tuck it behind the stairs. Otherwise it extends out beyond the awning and ends up wet. If you are suffering from a draught have me come out and camp. Problem solved.
I put the two bars on top of the carpet at base of the tires, and on up towards the hitch (rear door) I kept getting wind under the carpet coming from behind the trailer. Those two bars keep it in place. Too heavy for the wind to get under it. We usually have the two chairs and a table along the trailer so the bars are never noticed. I guess someone could walk off with them also. I just haven't seen them as a likely target for theft. I don't think I have a pic.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Ahh. That makes sense and sounds like a great idea. I thought you meant you carried your outdoor carpet on the bars. How do you carry the outdoor carpet?
Old 04-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #37
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
It's rolled up in the back of the pickup. With the generator, grill, kayak, and bikes.. and ol blue..